Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 17 Jul 2020, 06:49 (Ref:3988871)   #1
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Ron Tauranac

A sad in Aust. The passing of a legend from the helicon days of F1 in the 60's - 70's

RIP Ron, thanks for the cars

https://motorsport.org.au/media/news...e-ron-tauranac
Old 17 Jul 2020, 09:33 (Ref:3988908)   #2
headlesschicken
Rookie

headlesschicken should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great engineer and a great man. RIP Ron
Old 17 Jul 2020, 11:26 (Ref:3988961)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He formed a formidable partnership with Jack Brabham and showed a friendship and close working relationship that created one of the best engineer-driver partnerships ever. His work indeed stretched beyond the confines of Formula 1, with the Ralt chassis.
Old 17 Jul 2020, 11:36 (Ref:3988969)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://www.tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155302
Old 17 Jul 2020, 13:19 (Ref:3989011)   #5
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad, not many people have had more impact on motorsport
Old 17 Jul 2020, 14:03 (Ref:3989018)   #6
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very sad, but good to see he kept himself busy and active right to the end. He was Patron at the Phillip Island Historic meet when he was 90.
RIP Ron.
Old 19 Jul 2020, 01:43 (Ref:3989360)   #7
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Sad loss of a great man. RIP Ron and condolences to his family and friends.
Old 19 Jul 2020, 19:35 (Ref:3989578)   #8
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
R.I.P. 95, what a great innings. When I first started following F1, I had no idea about who it was that actually designed F1 cars, until I saw a picture of the iconic Lobster Claw Brabham BT 34.

Old 20 Jul 2020, 13:16 (Ref:3989738)   #9
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
R.I.P. 95, what a great innings. When I first started following F1, I had no idea about who it was that actually designed F1 cars, until I saw a picture of the iconic Lobster Claw Brabham BT 34.

I may be wrong here, but I don't think that Ron can be blamed for that particular shambles, I think he had left Brabham by then!
Old 20 Jul 2020, 13:36 (Ref:3989746)   #10
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I may be wrong here, but I don't think that Ron can be blamed for that particular shambles, I think he had left Brabham by then!
He designed the BT 34 in 1971 and left Brabham in 1972. I always liked it because it looked different, particularly in this photo from the 1971 Italian GP. It's best results were 5th in the 1971 Austrian GP and 1st in the BRDC International Trophy at Silverstone on April 23, 1972.

This is quite an interesting article on the car.

https://www.oldracingcars.com/brabham/bt34/
Old 20 Jul 2020, 16:10 (Ref:3989791)   #11
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Beat me to it. RT designed the 1971 BT34... as he had done with every prior Brabham F1 car from the first in 1963, the BT3.
Ralph Bellamy designed the 1972 BT37 car.
The next F1 car was the 1973 BT42 of Gordon Murray.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 16:56 (Ref:3989810)   #12
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Beat me to it. RT designed the 1971 BT34... as he had done with every prior Brabham F1 car from the first in 1963, the BT3.
Ralph Bellamy designed the 1972 BT37 car.
The next F1 car was the 1973 BT42 of Gordon Murray.
I thought it was interesting how Gordon Murray went back to Ron Tauronac's idea of two radiators in front of the left and right wheels and a wing positioned between them. He continued with the twin radiator concept with the BT 44 and 45.

BT43

BT 34
Old 21 Jul 2020, 08:00 (Ref:3989889)   #13
wnut
Veteran

I sstand corrected then, I thought Ron had moved on before the uncompetitive BT34 was penned.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 16:35 (Ref:3990014)   #14
St Eval
Rookie

St Eval should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have one of his superb cars an RT34 nearly the last but not quite. The attention to detail is unbelievable. The panels are interchangable from car to car including all of the rivet holes.

Roy

What do you want to do ?
New mailCopy

Old 21 Jul 2020, 20:37 (Ref:3990063)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The amount of Ralts he produced was superb, he did a lot for the lower formulae. Left no stone unturned

Keep that prized RT34 possession
Old 21 Jul 2020, 21:21 (Ref:3990075)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The amount of Ralts he produced was superb, he did a lot for the lower formulae. Left no stone unturned

Keep that prized RT34 possession
He was RALT, with assistance from his younger brother Austin.
Old 22 Jul 2020, 12:23 (Ref:3990168)   #17
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Eval View Post
I have one of his superb cars an RT34 nearly the last but not quite. The attention to detail is unbelievable. The panels are interchangable from car to car including all of the rivet holes.

Roy

What do you want to do ?
New mailCopy

That's awesome, what is it like to drive? Do you race it?
Old 22 Jul 2020, 12:27 (Ref:3990171)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

Roy

What do you want to do ?
New mailCopy

Any photos?
Old 22 Jul 2020, 14:00 (Ref:3990197)   #19
St Eval
Rookie

And here we are, took a while to find a couple of photos with me driving. Hope fully something attached. There is a photo of me in the Ralt, it is an RT34 with 33 front suspension, it shortens the wheelbase for Hill Climbing. The other photo is my other toy, a silhouette Singer Chamois Coupe.
The Ralt runs Formula 3000 wheels a normally aspirated 2 litre Duratec putting out close to 300bhp and a six speed sequential Hewland.
The Chamois has a supercharged Honda Blackbird engine 1137cc putting out 200bhp. Both cars were built from boxes of bit by me and my son.
Both cars are used in Sprints and Hill Climbs, The Ralt won the 2019 Southwest Sprint Championship with my son driving and guess who came 2nd.

What do you want to do ?
New mailCopy

Attached Thumbnails
75540765-500_4332.jpg   42044644_2116402075061077_2654480485475942400_o Imp.jpg  
Old 22 Jul 2020, 14:18 (Ref:3990202)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
And here we are, took a while to find a couple of photos with me driving. Hope fully something attached. There is a photo of me in the Ralt, it is an RT34 with 33 front suspension, it shortens the wheelbase for Hill Climbing. The other photo is my other toy, a silhouette Singer Chamois Coupe.
The Ralt runs Formula 3000 wheels a normally aspirated 2 litre Duratec putting out close to 300bhp and a six speed sequential Hewland.
The Chamois has a supercharged Honda Blackbird engine 1137cc putting out 200bhp. Both cars were built from boxes of bit by me and my son.
Both cars are used in Sprints and Hill Climbs, The Ralt won the 2019 Southwest Sprint Championship with my son driving and guess who came 2nd.

What do you want to do ?
New mailCopy

Thanks.
Old 23 Jul 2020, 05:42 (Ref:3990300)   #21
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Roy
I worked at Ralt building F3, F3000 & even Atlantics, then for an F3 team running Ralts, then for an F3000 team running Lolas. When I first worked on a Lola, I couldn't believe what a massive step back it was compared to the Ralt in fit, engineering and general finishing - even the fabrication of the exhaust was nowhere near as nicely done (although Roy Billington used to do the exhausts at Ralt and there would be very, very few fabricators in the world as good as he was).

You've got a great little machine there Roy, as someone else said, it's a keeper!

We lost an absolute giant of the sport with Ron's passing - RIP!
Old 23 Jul 2020, 07:42 (Ref:3990308)   #22
St Eval
Rookie

We built it from a box of bits including a brand new tub for the 2004 season, it is sooo nice to drive. It doesn't doanything silly. It has also had a new paint job over the winter, to match the Chamois metallic blue.

Roy

What do you want to do ?
New mailCopy

Old 23 Jul 2020, 23:50 (Ref:3990498)   #23
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
...it is sooo nice to drive. It doesn't do anything silly.
The hallmark of a Ron Tauranac design.

That and the fact that they were safe, easy to set up, well priced and most importantly, fast.

The racing world, the engineering world has lost a giant.
Old 24 Jul 2020, 00:15 (Ref:3990501)   #24
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
We built it from a box of bits including a brand new tub for the 2004 season, it is sooo nice to drive. It doesn't doanything silly. It has also had a new paint job over the winter, to match the Chamois metallic blue.

Roy

What do you want to do ?
New mailCopy

Sounds brilliant, really nice feeling of accomplishment when you transform something from bits to a car and then it is good on top of it!
Old 24 Jul 2020, 11:45 (Ref:3990568)   #25
St Eval
Rookie

Not to bad for a hobbyist. I do a bit on an RT3 1984 that is pretty good to work on as well.
I have a roll bar certificate for my car, it was lodged with the MSA to show compliance. It is signed by Ron where it says calculations he put designed to my calculations. The MSA seemed to think that that was ok.

I bellieve the RT35 was the last of Ron's Ralt designs. The RT36 and RT37 were all carbon and didn't seem to work well. Most of the 37's ended up as Gould GR37's and went Hill Climbing.

Roy

What do you want to do ?
New mailCopy