Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 3 Nov 2021, 17:19 (Ref:4081326)   #1
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Petit Le Mans 2021

With the entry list finally coming out today, I thought it was time for a thread. The race is later this season than it has ever been, which will bring some new challenges to the teams and fans.

The weather may be cooler, and there is a high likelihood of rain. But the biggest difference this year may be the race being run nearly 50% of the time in the dark.

This will be the final IMSA race for GTE machines with the pair of corvettes being joined by a pair of BMWs and a Porsche. GTD has 15 entries including some guests not normally on the IMSA roster. There are 7 cars in DPi, 5 in LMP2, and 10 in LMP3.

There is also an excellent entry for the Michelin Pilot Challenge race.

Entry List

Schedule

Track Map

Weather

Timing and Scoring alternative--- https://livetiming.alkamelsystems.com/imsa ---

Last edited by skycafe; 10 Nov 2021 at 20:51. Reason: Added t&s link
Old 3 Nov 2021, 18:28 (Ref:4081334)   #2
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I am guessing the 97 Porsche being on the list is just because of timing and the fact that an entry fee had been paid. Alas. Given the rainy cold prognostication I would loose my magic genie, if I had one, on some spells to get some Falken tires on that Porsche.

Enjoy! I love RAtl, but not the cold, rain, dark.
Old 3 Nov 2021, 20:02 (Ref:4081354)   #3
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Didn't the race used to start earlier as well? It's a noon(ish) start again, last year was noon as well but with a Beetle race in the morning. Just warmup this year before the race
Old 3 Nov 2021, 23:25 (Ref:4081383)   #4
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Didn't the race used to start earlier as well? It's a noon(ish) start again, last year was noon as well but with a Beetle race in the morning. Just warmup this year before the race
The entire 2nd half of the race will be in the dark. Will make it hard to follow on TV. Once its night its better to follow it using the live timing, IMSA radio, and the live on boards that the IMSA web site has.
Old 3 Nov 2021, 23:27 (Ref:4081384)   #5
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not often the IMSA official web site posts articles worth mentioning but this look back at GTLM is a good one. They consider the start of the class to have been 2009 in the ALMS. Perhaps because that is when Corvettes entered. Very interesting that Porsche and Chevrolet are tied with 41 class victories going back to 2009. Could be a tie breaker at Petit Le Mans unless BMW gets in there which they could. In fact right now I predict a R.L.L BMW victory at Petit this year.

https://www.imsa.com/news/2021/11/01...rious-history/
Old 4 Nov 2021, 00:00 (Ref:4081386)   #6
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
The entire 2nd half of the race will be in the dark. Will make it hard to follow on TV. Once its night its better to follow it using the live timing, IMSA radio, and the live on boards that the IMSA web site has.
By the time the cameras have challenges it will be around 630ish, it's amazing how dark in person and fine on camera
Old 4 Nov 2021, 13:39 (Ref:4081456)   #7
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Not often the IMSA official web site posts articles worth mentioning but this look back at GTLM is a good one. They consider the start of the class to have been 2009 in the ALMS. Perhaps because that is when Corvettes entered. Very interesting that Porsche and Chevrolet are tied with 41 class victories going back to 2009. Could be a tie breaker at Petit Le Mans unless BMW gets in there which they could. In fact right now I predict a R.L.L BMW victory at Petit this year.

https://www.imsa.com/news/2021/11/01...rious-history/
I didn't know Porsche and Corvette were tied for victories. I bet that is pretty good motivation for those teams to try and get out on top.
Old 4 Nov 2021, 14:02 (Ref:4081465)   #8
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I didn't know Porsche and Corvette were tied for victories. I bet that is pretty good motivation for those teams to try and get out on top.
That is what gets you with the 2nd Porsche not being run. BMW might be a bet given the rivalry between C & P.

Pulling for BMW in GTD, mainly because Auberlen on squad.
Old 4 Nov 2021, 14:27 (Ref:4081477)   #9
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Going away party for multiple cars, GTLMs and the M6 so 4 cars we won't see again in GT and the Mazda in DPi
Old 4 Nov 2021, 16:16 (Ref:4081496)   #10
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Going away party for multiple cars, GTLMs and the M6 so 4 cars we won't see again in GT and the Mazda in DPi
Well not the C8R's though.

Also since its only happening one more time (probably a good thing) it is worth mentioning that the GTLM and LMP3 battles should mix and mingle at the Petit Le Mans more than any other race previously this year where the 2 classes ran together. Should be fun.
Old 4 Nov 2021, 16:53 (Ref:4081500)   #11
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
which of those models is likely to go out with a bang? I'm thinking crash damage for the mazda taking a risk in traffic because they have nothing to lose!
Old 4 Nov 2021, 18:56 (Ref:4081520)   #12
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Somehow I'll be disappointed if the Mazda doesn't catch fire one more time.

I'm pretty excited for the week, perhaps foolishly. I'm working most of it then should go fan mode Saturday as the shadows lengthen. Just in time for it to get stupid cold.
Old 4 Nov 2021, 19:53 (Ref:4081527)   #13
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Somehow I'll be disappointed if the Mazda doesn't catch fire one more time.

I'm pretty excited for the week, perhaps foolishly. I'm working most of it then should go fan mode Saturday as the shadows lengthen. Just in time for it to get stupid cold.
Are you working in your office or at the track? because one sounds infinitely better than the other!
Old 4 Nov 2021, 20:17 (Ref:4081530)   #14
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
That would be fitting way for Mazda to go out, leading and fire in the last hour.
Old 4 Nov 2021, 22:44 (Ref:4081551)   #15
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Are you working in your office or at the track?
Yes.
Old 4 Nov 2021, 22:50 (Ref:4081553)   #16
RX7Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville, FL
RX7Mandingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno. After seeing Mazda take over last year at this time at Sebring it could get interesting
Old 8 Nov 2021, 19:00 (Ref:4082243)   #17
WyldStallion
Veteran

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/p...ch-gtlm-entry/

It is one with 2 Weathertech Porsches. We get the GTLM we knew and loved in the 2010s one last time. I bet pole time in GTLM at Road Atlanta will be in the 1 min 14 bracket. Pole time by the DP at the 2014 Petit Le Mans (post ALMS/GA merger) was 1 min 14.5 sec. Could be beat by a GTLM car in 2021.
Old 8 Nov 2021, 19:27 (Ref:4082248)   #18
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/p...ch-gtlm-entry/

It is one with 2 Weathertech Porsches. We get the GTLM we knew and loved in the 2010s one last time. I bet pole time in GTLM at Road Atlanta will be in the 1 min 14 bracket. Pole time by the DP at the 2014 Petit Le Mans (post ALMS/GA merger) was 1 min 14.5 sec. Could be beat by a GTLM car in 2021.
That is great news for the grid, I didn't think it would materialize since it hadn't been announced yet. 6 legitimate contenders for the class lead will be good to see as well.

I wouldn't hold your breath on a quick qualifying time. Track conditions may be iffy with the weather forecast. Or they may be perfect, that's the beauty of it!
Old 9 Nov 2021, 00:35 (Ref:4082285)   #19
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
COOL!
Old 9 Nov 2021, 02:32 (Ref:4082290)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looking forward to seeing the two cars with some top peddlers in them.
Old 10 Nov 2021, 01:29 (Ref:4082502)   #21
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Anyone know the TV schedule???

Starting to get bummed about not being there.
Old 10 Nov 2021, 01:37 (Ref:4082503)   #22
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Anyone know the TV schedule???

Starting to get bummed about not being there.
In looking for the schedule the other night, I found two links - one from Road Atlanta that has the actual track schedule and IMSA site that has only the TV schedule it seems.

https://www.imsa.com/events/2021-motul-petit-le-mans/

12-300 NBC and then finishes on NBCSN...

And I'm looking forward to being at the race, but not to the temps overnight after the checkered flag.
Old 10 Nov 2021, 01:38 (Ref:4082504)   #23
C6R Racing Fan
Racer

United States
Ohio, USA
C6R Racing Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridC6R Racing Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spotters Guide is out on Andy's website!
Thanks Andy. Leaving Ohio Thursday morning.
Old 10 Nov 2021, 15:12 (Ref:4082604)   #24
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
That is great news for the grid, I didn't think it would materialize since it hadn't been announced yet. 6 legitimate contenders for the class lead will be good to see as well.

I wouldn't hold your breath on a quick qualifying time. Track conditions may be iffy with the weather forecast. Or they may be perfect, that's the beauty of it!
LMP3 cars are going to get in between the GTLM cars a ton this race. It will be a factor that previous Petit Le Mans GTLM races have not had.
Old 10 Nov 2021, 19:40 (Ref:4082663)   #25
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The imsa t&s sucks a great big one. Here's the alternate that I prefer.

https://livetiming.alkamelsystems.com/imsa

Maybe a mod can add it to the post 1, when he gets here.