Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Jan 2021, 16:31 (Ref:4027458)   #251
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am certainly more excited to see the Weathertech car as a Porsche than Ferrari. I guess they are using #79 since that maybe their Le Mans car number. Could have usurped the #911 though?
Old 7 Jan 2021, 20:26 (Ref:4027519)   #252
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Things are still 'go' for Daytona and Sebring
https://racer.com/2021/01/07/imsa-mo...-as-scheduled/
Old 7 Jan 2021, 21:23 (Ref:4027529)   #253
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Be ready for empty infield and stands overnight though.

From the Daytona speedway website:

"Unfortunately because of these required protocols, the following experiences have been cancelled:

Garage Access
Fan access to grid walk and ballfield for pre-race festivities
Infield Tent Camping
Infield Car Camping
GEICO Park West Tent Camping
Café 24 Breakfast"

It appears same rules as last season for events will apply so at least they aren't trying to pretend it's all clear and wide open again.
Old 7 Jan 2021, 21:31 (Ref:4027531)   #254
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Be ready for empty infield and stands overnight though.

From the Daytona speedway website:

"Unfortunately because of these required protocols, the following experiences have been cancelled:

Garage Access
Fan access to grid walk and ballfield for pre-race festivities
Infield Tent Camping
Infield Car Camping
GEICO Park West Tent Camping
Café 24 Breakfast"

It appears same rules as last season for events will apply so at least they aren't trying to pretend it's all clear and wide open again.
I'm not familiar with their camping packages. Does this effectively ban all camping?
Old 7 Jan 2021, 22:01 (Ref:4027535)   #255
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I'm not familiar with their camping packages. Does this effectively ban all camping?
Seems so, unless in RV ?
Old 7 Jan 2021, 22:18 (Ref:4027539)   #256
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to see Tristan Nunez land on his feet, I thought he was hard done by Mazda after being a loyal soldier for them
Old 7 Jan 2021, 22:47 (Ref:4027541)   #257
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That stinks. I dont' think its necessary honestly. Its all outdoors. The virus is almost no threat to pass around outside. Regardless, watching the race from the stands at Daytona speedway I always enjoyed too. You'll be fine there. Won't make it this year. Always tried to stay up to watch during the overnight hours in previous years. Never made it past 2 am. Body and eyes gives out eventually to all of us except for Paul Truswell.
Old 8 Jan 2021, 01:14 (Ref:4027557)   #258
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Seems so, unless in RV ?
Yes, it appears RV camping will be the only. IF you believe Racer comments you have to actually leave at night but no clarification if that means race night as well. Stands will be marked out with zones for spacing.

Remember, even Florida has some rules and for now they seem to be working FOR THEM. For others the same policies may not hold but the rates aren't as bad as they could be and hopefully for 3 weeks they'll hold. Then we can see again in 2 months if we have a spring or fall Sebring.
Old 8 Jan 2021, 01:29 (Ref:4027560)   #259
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hope that won’t be the case at Sebring too.
Old 8 Jan 2021, 04:44 (Ref:4027573)   #260
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Track says everyone has to leave the infield Thursday and Friday night except RVs but once the race starts Saturday everyone can stay through Sunday.

I'm assuming they're opening the NASCAR 3 and 4 area, which is usually tent camping, for car parking. General car parking has been very limited the last several years inside the infield.

Gonna be a lot of people sleeping in their cars Saturday night which is what I usually do anyway.
Old 8 Jan 2021, 22:23 (Ref:4027739)   #261
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Track just answered my question on twitter that the fanzone and fandeck (above the garages) will be open for the Rolex which is good news because you can get pretty close to the cars that way, and see the garage stalls through the windows there.
Old 9 Jan 2021, 00:16 (Ref:4027748)   #262
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cool. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 10 Jan 2021, 17:44 (Ref:4027980)   #263
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
Imagine if Prince William drove race cars.
https://images.app.goo.gl/hTQdqUe2b6wMDBA58
Old 11 Jan 2021, 03:15 (Ref:4028089)   #264
WyldStallion
Veteran

I can see Cooper MacNeil driving the #79 Porsche for perhaps 4 of the opening 6 stints of the 24 hour race and that's it. Leaving it to the factory drivers the rest of the way. If he does that and gets out of the car for the last time with the car 1 lap down or less, then its mission accomplished. 1 lap down is nothing with the safety car wave around.

It will be one of the most interesting cars to follow for the Daytona 24 hour race.
Old 12 Jan 2021, 00:47 (Ref:4028267)   #265
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two strong Mercedes AMG efforts in GTD for the 24H. Pretty excited and the first time in awhile that the Merc has been a real contender in GTD.

Alegra Motorsports : Daniel Morad, Bill Johnson, Michael De Quesada and AMG Factory driver Maxi Buhk

Winward Motorsports : Russell Ward, Indy Dontje, Philip Ellis, and AMG Factory driver Maro Engel.

These would both be solid line ups even without the factory drivers, who are both top shelf talents.

Interested to see what the full season line up looks like for Allegra, would love to see Buhk in the car all season with Morad.
Old 12 Jan 2021, 06:33 (Ref:4028325)   #266
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Since Alegra is the de Quesada family team, I don't think it'll be Buhk.
Old 12 Jan 2021, 12:57 (Ref:4028420)   #267
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2Motorsport View Post
Two strong Mercedes AMG efforts in GTD for the 24H. Pretty excited and the first time in awhile that the Merc has been a real contender in GTD.

Alegra Motorsports : Daniel Morad, Bill Johnson, Michael De Quesada and AMG Factory driver Maxi Buhk

Winward Motorsports : Russell Ward, Indy Dontje, Philip Ellis, and AMG Factory driver Maro Engel.

These would both be solid line ups even without the factory drivers, who are both top shelf talents.

Interested to see what the full season line up looks like for Allegra, would love to see Buhk in the car all season with Morad.
Make that 3 because SunEnergy is coming with Raffaele Marciello and Luca Stolz. I love GTD at the Rolex 24. All of the top drivers from GT WC/SRO come over to drive and it does shake things up. In 2020, Marco Mappeli almost won in the #44 Magnus Lambo. Ended up 2nd. Without him in that car, they never came close to winning the rest of the year. But yeah, GTD looks very good for the Daytona 24 in 2021.
Old 12 Jan 2021, 13:36 (Ref:4028426)   #268
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
Make that 3 because SunEnergy is coming with Raffaele Marciello and Luca Stolz. I love GTD at the Rolex 24. All of the top drivers from GT WC/SRO come over to drive and it does shake things up. In 2020, Marco Mappeli almost won in the #44 Magnus Lambo. Ended up 2nd. Without him in that car, they never came close to winning the rest of the year. But yeah, GTD looks very good for the Daytona 24 in 2021.
Yeah that is an exciting entry as well. Possibly the most competitive looking of the three with both Stolz and Marciello. I'm with you on the GTWC drivers running in GTD it makes it makes a huge impact for these races when top shelf drivers like those are involved. I'll be interested to see how these teams select which two drivers will run the qualifying race next week.
Old 12 Jan 2021, 13:39 (Ref:4028427)   #269
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Ah I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for letting me know!
Old 12 Jan 2021, 23:23 (Ref:4028538)   #270
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Alegra will run him in the car for the Rolex with de Quesada, Morad and Johnson for the Rolex but full season could be tough for him as factory driver. Ratings wise he'd be fine with Morad still Silver but de Quesada likes his driving. And I can't blame him. MP's Racer article says de Quesada and Morad full season.

SunEnergy will have Habul and Grenier for the season and Raffaele Marciello and Luca Stoltz for the Rolex.

Winward will have Indy Dontje, Philip Ellis, Marco Engel and Russell Ward.

LMP3 will have a decent squad with Core running Ed, Braun, Matt McMurry and George Kurtz.

WIN Autosport will have a good 2nd for the season in Tristan Nunez joining Steven Thomas.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...w-drivers.html

Gavin is in for the Rolex with Vasser Sullivan in the 14 with Telitz and Hawksworth, says only Rolex.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...w-drivers.html

If Jimmie wants more racing in the enduros, he'll have to work it out with Paul Miller. They're running the #1 for Rolex and then back to the 48 for the rest of the season.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...on-action.html

And Black Swan back for another go but did not see any co-drivers listed for Tim

Last edited by broadrun96; 12 Jan 2021 at 23:38.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 18:50 (Ref:4028781)   #271
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
S365 has some driver updates.

Snow and Sellers in the Paul Miller Lambo full season

Pigot will sub for Fraga (who can't make the travel work) in a P3 for Daytona

Magnus has its 3rd and 4th Daytona drivers: Pumpelly and Farnbacher
Old 13 Jan 2021, 19:52 (Ref:4028797)   #272
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
50 cars for Daytona 24H in 2021!

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/5...-for-rolex-24/

Great looking grid and I'm very excited for this race.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 21:16 (Ref:4028812)   #273
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2Motorsport View Post
50 cars for Daytona 24H in 2021!

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/5...-for-rolex-24/

Great looking grid and I'm very excited for this race.
Yahhy we got an Audi in the field!
Old 13 Jan 2021, 22:46 (Ref:4028832)   #274
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Im most curious how P3 is going to sit in a 3 tiered prototype race, with the GTE’s hot on their heals at the hands of pro drivers.

The other instances of P3 and GTE cars racing together come with slightly different circumstances, with GTE being more Pro Am focused, whereas here GTE comes with some serious Pro driven corvettes and BMW’s

It’s going to be an interesting dynamic.

Anyone whittled down this list to see what the full season entry looks like?
Old 13 Jan 2021, 22:56 (Ref:4028836)   #275
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very very very wildly guesstimating the following for full season entries from looking at the Daytona grid

We know DPI is pretty safely 6, P2 could be anything but estimated to be 3, seems the P3 entries almost all look like full season cars.

GTE we know the corvettes and single porsche are confirmed, BMW a big maybe, Risi fat chance.

GTD is the more vague one, but I think there is roughly 5 cars at Daytona that won’t do full season (GRT x2, AF Corse, TF Sport, NTE???), of course that NTE entry is unannounced so including that in the list of Daytona only for now.

It looks like a conservative bet puts the grid at just over 30 for the season, which I think would be a nice grid!

DPI - 6
P2 - 3
P3 - 6/7
GTE - 3/5
GTD - 13/15

Total - 30/36