Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Sep 2001, 13:40 (Ref:145259)   #1
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monza/USA Grand Prixs to be cancelled/postponed

I have just read on the crashnet website that there is a strong possibility that both the Monza and Indy grand prixs may be postponed/cancelled decision to be made later today

Last edited by Claire; 12 Sep 2001 at 13:40.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 13:59 (Ref:145265)   #2
Newey
Rookie

Newey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We will see, i hope personally that Monza not is going to be postponed, because i'am going to that GP, and it is my only week off.
On the second hand i think that the USA GP will be postponed or even be cancelled because a there are a lot off people on the race track from serveral country's. But we will see.

Greats,

Newey
Old 12 Sep 2001, 14:09 (Ref:145268)   #3
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that Monza may well go ahead, but I can't see them running the US GP.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 14:12 (Ref:145270)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
What is done is done..I can't see that the running of the US Grand Prix would make any diference to be honest..
Old 12 Sep 2001, 14:18 (Ref:145272)   #5
massifheed
Racer

massifheed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the contrary, the feeling that I am getting watching the TV is that the US will carry on as normal and will not have it's day to day operations disrupted by terrorism. I have to say I support this viewpoint. It's the best way get over this. What good will it do if everything that is connected to the US is cancelled? I can't help but think that other counrties cancelling their events and other things connected with the US will be counter productive. The best that can happen is that the professionals are left to get on with their jobs, and everyone else carries on and shows that terrorism will not destroy a nation.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 15:15 (Ref:145280)   #6
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Postpone Races?

I think it sends entirely the wrong message to the perpetrators of these despicable attacks, if we cancel international sporting events held over two weeks later, or even four or five days later for that matter. The security risk of attending either event has not increased one iota as a result of the NY and DC attacks. There is clearly some risk of terrorist attack at either Monza or IMS, but I cannot concieve of any group doing what they have done and then following it up with an attack on a motor race.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 15:16 (Ref:145281)   #7
ireshad
Rookie

ireshad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last I heard, Monza is definately going ahead, the US may be moved to another circut.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 15:28 (Ref:145283)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the US or elsewhere... any news on which circuit?
Old 12 Sep 2001, 15:55 (Ref:145293)   #9
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Massifheed and Maxmil. It's important that we get back to normal as quickly as possible. Formula 1 is not a target of bin Laden; he has bigger fish to fry. The US airports will presumably reopen soon, and F1 should bring the show to Indy. Americans can use the distraction.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 16:08 (Ref:145295)   #10
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with you there eatapc, lets just hope that the drivers put on a good, troble free show for America
Old 12 Sep 2001, 16:33 (Ref:145301)   #11
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cart are going ahead with the German 500, and as they are a USA based Championship, I cannot see the FIA going against CART's policy.

http://www.cart.com/News.asp?ID=1825
Old 12 Sep 2001, 16:40 (Ref:145303)   #12
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We all should try to do our best to keep on going in spite of what happened. What they want is to disturb and we cannot give them that victory so easily.

The guys who fought in the plane that crashed in Pittsburgh are heroes. We should honor them by fighting in the same way.

Lets go for it America. We can do it.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 17:14 (Ref:145307)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by eatapc
I agree with Massifheed and Maxmil. It's important that we get back to normal as quickly as possible. Formula 1 is not a target of bin Laden; he has bigger fish to fry. The US airports will presumably reopen soon, and F1 should bring the show to Indy. Americans can use the distraction.
We do not know that Bin Laden is responsible for these attacks..Yet!

But I can tell you from watching TV here is the states, the hammer is going down, the FBI are really moving on this..Soon they will have results..

Last edited by JeremySmith; 12 Sep 2001 at 17:18.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 17:16 (Ref:145308)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I hope and prey that both races go ahead, as they are two of the best in the F1 season.
I see no reason whatsoever to cancel or delay that Italian GP, however the same can't be said for the US GP.
I will just echo what others have said, you can't let the terrorists see that the country is damaged, you must carry on as normal.

PS I hear that all UEFA footie matches this week are cancelled - which I think is a bit of an over-reaction, a dignified 1 minutes silence would have sufficed, I feel.

BBking : The guys who fought in the plane that crashed in Pittsburgh are heroes? - I never heard about this, - can someone explain?

PPS Which circuit would they move the US GP to? It takes months to prepare for a GP (supposedly) Though how long would it take to put up grandstands etc - a day or so?

Last edited by Sodemo; 12 Sep 2001 at 17:19.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 17:25 (Ref:145314)   #15
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think they had any chance to fight...
Old 12 Sep 2001, 17:27 (Ref:145316)   #16
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sodemo
The guys who fought in the plane that crashed in Pittsburgh are heroes? - I never heard about this, - can someone explain?
A passenger on the plane -- and this is confirmed, as I saw an interview with the woman who was on the other end of the call -- used his cell phone, found out about the other hijackings, and indicated that he and other passengers would attempt to overcome the terrorist pilots.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 18:04 (Ref:145331)   #17
Ian-S
Racer

Quote:
plane that crashed in Pittsburgh
There's lots of rumours, but we did hear something on NBC about it being reported, but unconfirmed, that the pilot ditched the plane.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 18:59 (Ref:145359)   #18
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Both the Italian and US Grands Prix will go ahead - the FIA have confirmed that there are no plans to cancel races.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 19:07 (Ref:145363)   #19
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
Both the Italian and US Grands Prix will go ahead - the FIA have confirmed that there are no plans to cancel races.
I think its for the best - i mean those evil people wanted to disrupt normal life as much as possible to get their message heard! theres no way we can let them get what they want, not when they commit such disgusting acts!!!!!
Old 12 Sep 2001, 19:44 (Ref:145376)   #20
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that the Italian GP is going to be postponed. As for the US GP, I think they should postpone it or something, until safety precautions are taken.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 19:54 (Ref:145379)   #21
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that they'll make a decision on the USGP next week but i expect that it will go ahead. After all the US CART series will be although that is in Europe.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 20:01 (Ref:145382)   #22
Ian-S
Racer

Quote:
until safety precautions are taken.
The only way to stop someone taking hostile control of an aeroplane, is to tie all the passengers to their seats throughout the flight - can you see that happenning?
Old 12 Sep 2001, 20:12 (Ref:145395)   #23
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about a strong locked door to the cockpit.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 20:26 (Ref:145410)   #24
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
It would need to be bulletproof otherwise there's no point in locking it... although it would have prevented yesterdays knife hijackers.

Having said that it was rumoured that crew and passengers were murdered/attacked/threatened so as to intimidate the pilots into opening the doors.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 20:26 (Ref:145411)   #25
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
From ITV1 TeleText:

Quote:
GRANDS PRIX GET GREEN LIGHT

The FIA has confirmed that the Italian and US Grands Prix will go ahead despite terrorist attacks on America.

The Italian Grand Prix is due to take place in Monza on Sunday with Indianapolis, the season's penultimate race, two weeks later.

A spokesman for the governing body said: "There is no plan to cancel future grands prix.
I think this is a good thing, although I think that they should observe a minute's silence on Sunday before the race as a mark of respect to those who lost their lives yesterday.