Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 17 Jul 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1357310)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anglesey Meeting - BARC - 16th/17th July

Although I had to leave the meeting at lunchtime on Sunday due to my Daughter being taken ill - I thought that this meeting was extremely poorly organised.

Despite some fantastic racing from the Legends & McLegends and the Toyo's & K&N's, there was way too much time with nothing happening on the track.

Saturday had us having the odd 15 minute wait between legend sessions, due to national & Scots being in both races - so they needed a bit of time to prepare. We were informed of that at the briefing so that was Ok.

Sunday - we were told that sign-on would now be put back to 9:30 for a 10:30 start. We then had 2x practice sessions (Totalling 25 mins) and then were told to stand down for around about 30 mins as the first race was at 11:45.
We then had two 8-lap legend races before the lunch break which was a hour-long.
I've just spoken to a marshal on her way back from the meeting who said that there was then a further hours' break after lunch for a Church Service which no-one apparently knew about.
Old 17 Jul 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1357318)   #2
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope your Daughters illness is/was not serious They can be a worry at the best of times As for Anglesey....never been there,I must make the hike up there sometime,hopefully
Old 17 Jul 2005, 18:35 (Ref:1357347)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anglesey is absolutely the most spectacular circuit in the UK - I'm sure this weekends problems are a "One-Off" and you really should make an effort to come & play!

My daughter is fine thanks - the was fine actually by the time we reached the sodding A55!!! Kids Eh?
Old 17 Jul 2005, 20:33 (Ref:1357400)   #4
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps the problem was that there was just not enough scheduled for that particular meeting and therefore everything *could* be a bit too spread out. At the equivalent meeting last year the finishes were early and the days not full - if the organisers could not afford the luxury of dead time, they wouldn't!
Old 17 Jul 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1357457)   #5
Magnet
Racer

Ireland
Anglesey, North Wales
Magnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Perhaps the problem was that there was just not enough scheduled for that particular meeting and therefore everything *could* be a bit too spread out. At the equivalent meeting last year the finishes were early and the days not full - if the organisers could not afford the luxury of dead time, they wouldn't!
I know we had a very disjointed meeting today but I think that it is still a very difficult task to put together a programme with our good friends in the Legends as top of the bill. They are if nothing else entertaining and thoroughly committed to winning. We must appreciate this and be a little tolerant of the fact that in giving of their all they do have more than their share of incidents and ensueing Red Flags, recoveries etc. If the organizers had put an even bigger programme together and had started to have to trim laps or races I suspect we would have heard moans and groans about that as well. Our post just took in the scenery and some (nice one Mike!) had a kip on the Rectocel. but most of all we enjoyed ourselves and isn't that what it's all about. Well done again to the guys behind the wheels for the fantastic entertainment and a big thanks to my team on Post 7 for the effort in the heat of the Anglesey sunshine! As for the problem where we had to break for 1 hour due to the chapel service, well I live locally and I hadn't heard anything about it and I know for a fact that the circuit hadn't been informed and certainly the BARC cannot be blamed for something which they knew nothing about and what was beyond their control. It is seemingly built into the rules of the circuit being able to operate that they allow this service to take place. Great weekend nevertheless.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 08:43 (Ref:1357599)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I don't really think that 'poorly organised' is fair criticism.

If you look at the reasons behind the more than usual number of breaks it's difficult to see how things could have been much different. The two Legends 'B' finals & two Sunday morning practice sessions were all listed as 'if required' - required or not, time has to be allowed for them. It's unfair on the drivers to bring their races forward by a significant time at short notice - I don't know, but I would think that in their finals they are given a start time with the proviso that races may start early, but no more than 10-15 minutes. It would also have been unfair on spectators arriving on Sunday morning expecting an 11:45 start only to find that a couple of races had already been run.

The Church break was a problem; as you know, this is an irregular & infrequent occurence. It appears than nobody bothered to tell the circuit or the club that a service was being held on Sunday - as soon as this information was received the lunch break was curtailed & the start of racing brought forward, which enabled us to get two races in before the break.

An hour for lunch? I will never, ever, complain about that!!

I have no complaints about the weekend. As expected, superb racing, the usual great Anglesey atmosphere & even the weather was marvellous - it's the first time I've ever chosen Radar on weather grounds!

One thing this weekend has demonstrated is that there is a simple solution to the problem of low marshal numbers.......Legends!!!!!!!
Old 18 Jul 2005, 09:31 (Ref:1357618)   #7
Ian Gaw
Rookie

England
Stockport
Ian Gaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark,
Glad to hear your daughter is OK.Despite the breaks the afternoon had some cracking racing,and yet another Legend tried to join the crew at Post 2.Perhaps the gaps(apart from Church) could have been filled with 2CVs and NW Formula Fords,or is that just wishful thinking?All in all a superb weekend due to a fine mix of Legends,Sun,Anglesey,
McLegends,more sun,more Legends,and a super crew on Post 2.
See you all soon at Oulton Park(Back to reality!!!)
Old 18 Jul 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1357621)   #8
RobertNickson
Rookie

RobertNickson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously the information regarding the church service was published locally somewhere as how else would the aledged 3 people attend the service. The circuit IMO should not rely on being told there was to be a service, they should make it their business to find out and plan accordingly. This discussion would not be happening if the lunch break was timed for 2-3 with a 12pm start. Other than that, it was a good day, excellent weather, good racing and a gallon of engine oil up the hill between posts 1 and 2. Superb. Thanks BARC.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 09:47 (Ref:1357628)   #9
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
To an extent, I have to agree with Mark - if it hadn't have been Legends I would have expected many more complaints, as the racing wouldn't have made up for the lengthy pauses (as it was though, they more than did! ).
That said, especially on Saturday when most people weren't leaving the circuit, there was plenty of time not to need to rush, and therefore there wasn't a problem in giving the drivers time to change engines etc. The only gap that I felt was uneccessary was such a long pause between practice and race - certainly that could have been reduced and nothing would have suffered as a result.

I would though certainly have liked one other race supporting the legends. It was clear from the outset there would have been time for another race (last year we finished early with 3 support races, and only gained one Legend (so short) race this year in exchange!). If it was fit in between a Scottish and National race it wouldn't have added much time at all due to those racing in both series. 2CVs anyone?

All in all though, I still left the weekend having enjoyed it immensely- thanks to BARC for providing water to us on post in the hot weather; to all the drivers for ensuring there wasn't one bad race; and to everyone on Post 6 for the company. Looking forward to next year's meeting already
Old 18 Jul 2005, 09:58 (Ref:1357634)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Gaw
Perhaps the gaps(apart from Church) could have been filled with 2CVs and NW Formula Fords,or is that just wishful thinking?
Just add a couple of Caterham races to that & you've got as near to the ideal meeting as you'll ever get!
Old 18 Jul 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1357637)   #11
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Just add a couple of Caterham races to that & you've got as near to the ideal meeting as you'll ever get!
Quite!

........when I said "Poorly Organised" in my opening post, I was not just referring to the number of breaks during the day.

Take the saftey car scenario.......there were posts that were waving the yellow flag continuously (No, incident wasn't in their sector) and then there were intermittent green flags at the resumption of racing.

There was no mention of the safety car procedure at the Saturday Obs briefing so on Post 2 we followed the standard MSA regulations.

On Sunday, I was informed that Green Flags were NOT required after a SC intervention.

Also, no feedback to reports I had submitted - something that is normally very forthcoming with BARC NW.

They (BARC) got away with it this time because 1:It was Anglesey 2: It was the Legends and 3: The sun was shining!

Had this been a cold miserable day at Oulton then I'm sure there would have been more whinges.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 10:33 (Ref:1357656)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
........when I said "Poorly Organised" in my opening post, I was not just referring to the number of breaks during the day.
Point taken, but matters such as safety car procedures & feedback to reports don't really impinge on me as a lowly incident marshal!
Old 18 Jul 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1357660)   #13
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Point taken, but matters such as safety car procedures & feedback to reports don't really impinge on me as a lowly incident marshal!
You lowly incident marshals are the backbone of what we are all about!
Without incident marshals, the Observers would have to try to remember how to push a car, where to put it, find their gloves etc!
Old 18 Jul 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1357670)   #14
Garry Holmes
Racer

Garry Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone remeber the name of the photographer in the paddock, I'm trying to fing them on t'intenet, but have a brain like a sieve, and a wife like a beetroot - guess who took the sun block on post with him yesterday!
Old 18 Jul 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1357676)   #15
Magnet
Racer

Ireland
Anglesey, North Wales
Quote:
On his latter point Mark is right...there is no such thing as a "lowly incident marshal", they are the people up at the sharp end that get things done. As for your other comments Mark I think we must accept that the people who organize and run the race days are volunteer officials just like us. We must take our fingers off the self destruct button and stop this whinging and moaning. Any new marshals who tune into these threads must sometimes doubt their reason for marshalling. Yes there were a few hiccups this weekend but speaking personally our Post (7) had no difficulties with the safety car procedure, flag procedure or incident procedure, we just got on with it and enjoyed ourselves which is why I go marshalling. If the world of motorsport was perfect we wouldn't be needed at all, thank god it's not!!!
ps Thanks to all the drivers for a great weekends racing, full of commitment and competetive spirit, just what the marshals want and the paying public deserve.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1357700)   #16
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark good to hear your daughter's ok, i'm told i did ok filling in for you in afternoon! i too had great 2 days and would like to thank all the TEAM on post 2 for their efforts helping me after Mark's departure. we did manage to occupy ourselves during to afternoon break (will post pics if i can work out how!)
Old 18 Jul 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1357702)   #17
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only read the opening post - Hope your daughter is OK Mark !!
Old 18 Jul 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1357709)   #18
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read the rest, Mark - Glad she's OK....
Old 18 Jul 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1357734)   #19
uncle tom
Racer

Wales
Holywell
uncle tom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Holmes
Anyone remeber the name of the photographer in the paddock, I'm trying to fing them on t'intenet, but have a brain like a sieve, and a wife like a beetroot - guess who took the sun block on post with him yesterday!
www.dsimages .co.uk
Old 18 Jul 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1357776)   #20
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet
...there is no such thing as a "lowly incident marshal",
It was typed with tongue in cheek......hence the

I was going to say 'humble', but I knew any such claim would be greeted with hilarity by the people around here who know me!

Oh, I almost forgot:

Old 18 Jul 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1357784)   #21
Garry Holmes
Racer

Garry Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
many thanks uncle tom.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1357787)   #22
Magnet
Racer

Ireland
Anglesey, North Wales
Quote:
It was typed with tongue in cheek......hence the

I was going to say 'humble', but I knew any such claim would be greeted with hilarity by the people around here who know me!

Oh, I almost forgot:

I fully understood how you meant it Dave but you know how I work and how my team (no matter how lowly!) always come first.
Cheers Dave for reminding me about the birthday, I told you yesterday that I try to forget them nowadays
Old 18 Jul 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1357809)   #23
Crazy Marshal
Racer

England
Hartford, Cheshire
Crazy Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had such a great weekend at Anglesey and want to thank every one for making my first trip there so good! It was good 2 put a face to some names as well.
Will be going back either later this year or next yr without a doubt!
Old 18 Jul 2005, 15:25 (Ref:1357852)   #24
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
You lowly incident marshals are the backbone of what we are all about!
Without incident marshals, the Observers would have to try to remember how to push a car, where to put it, find their gloves etc!
Well, I suppose waving two flags at once could be the start of your re-education
Old 18 Jul 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1357869)   #25
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed the weekend.

Yes their was delays and the Church delay was a pain (especially as I did not get the message to return to post early after lunch), but its Anglesey and Legends so it was good fun!

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003