Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 6 Apr 2018, 02:18 (Ref:3813127)   #1
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alan Kulwicki - 25 years on

I apologize that I'm late to post this, but April 1st marked 25 years since Alan Kulwicki's passing in a plane crash in 1993.

Alan won the Winston Cup Championship in 1992 and was the last owner-driver to do so. The first race of any kind I attended was the 1992 Hooters 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway where he won that championship (and one of the greatest races in Nascar history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Hooters_500 ). I was fortunate to see his "Underbird" do its last "Polish victory lap".

Alan was an engineer, quiet and introverted, and was notoriously stubborn and cheap. All of these characteristics I can relate to. Gone but not forgotten!

Old 6 Apr 2018, 04:02 (Ref:3813140)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I apologize that I'm late to post this, but April 1st marked 25 years since Alan Kulwicki's passing in a plane crash in 1993.

Alan won the Winston Cup Championship in 1992 and was the last owner-driver to do so. The first race of any kind I attended was the 1992 Hooters 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway where he won that championship (and one of the greatest races in Nascar history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Hooters_500 ). I was fortunate to see his "Underbird" do its last "Polish victory lap".

Alan was an engineer, quiet and introverted, and was notoriously stubborn and cheap. All of these characteristics I can relate to. Gone but not forgotten!

The Underbird. The only man I'd mind beating Awesome Bill, in hindsight. And I'm pretty sure Alan still is on every Hooters wall in America, or so I've heard. He certainly left us too early but will forever be remembered.
Old 11 May 2019, 00:13 (Ref:3903087)   #3
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I just watched this terrific video on Alan's career: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Yf1EFN1Ao

It spends most of it's time explaining the 1992 season and the Hooters 500, the greatest modern Nascar race of all time, my first race, and why I love motorsport and am posting here today.

I unfortunately failed to make a post for Davey Allison last year, but I will make a point to do so this year.
Old 12 May 2019, 19:31 (Ref:3903360)   #4
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I just watched this terrific video on Alan's career: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Yf1EFN1Ao

It spends most of it's time explaining the 1992 season and the Hooters 500, the greatest modern Nascar race of all time, my first race, and why I love motorsport and am posting here today.

I unfortunately failed to make a post for Davey Allison last year, but I will make a point to do so this year.
Watched the doc. Thanks for posting!

"A genius that paid for it with his personality" - Ray Evernham
Old 15 May 2019, 09:00 (Ref:3903861)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Read a few articles about this guy.

While a lot was played on him being a sort of privateer his kit was as good as anyones.

But the will he showed against the might of semi factory teams was amazing. And to do what he did on that last day was a show of sheer will and determination that is rarely seen. probably not the nicest guy to be around or work with from what I read! But I guess that is to be expected from someone so singled minded!!