Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 12 Jan 2018, 14:50 (Ref:3792283)   #201
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
I've heard good things about the book. I may have to add it to my ultra long list of desired books. Is there much about the man and his early days as a designer or is it loaded with the modern F1 stuff? The latter leaves me a bit cold.
There's a bit of childhood/school days background and then it's into F1 and Indycar (the Indy stuff was quite interesting as I didn't know he'd done any of that). I'm about half way through the book now and it's into the McLaren period Leyton House and Williams dealt with!) so depending on your definition of 'modern' that may or may not be of use!

It's certainly an interesting read and some of the insights into performance (or lack of) of the various cars he worked on are easy to correlate to things I remember seeing (eg. the relatively poor early season performance of the 94 Williams).
Old 17 Jan 2018, 17:16 (Ref:3793356)   #202
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone interested in Britain's sports car industry will find Oliver Winterbottom's biography A Life In Car Design a fascinating read.

Oliver's career began as a Jaguar apprentice in the 1960's, where he graduated to the drawing office. From there he moved to Lotus, where he was responsible for design of the Elite/Éclat range. He was to return to Lotus (more than once!) but after that he was responsible for the wedge-era TVR's, followed by spells in the US & China.

For an engineer, Oliver makes a great writer - he pulls no punches & tells it as it is (always has, always will!). Well worth getting hold of a copy.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 17:20 (Ref:3793359)   #203
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Anyone interested in Britain's sports car industry will find Oliver Winterbottom's biography A Life In Car Design a fascinating read.

Oliver's career began as a Jaguar apprentice in the 1960's, where he graduated to the drawing office. From there he moved to Lotus, where he was responsible for design of the Elite/Éclat range. He was to return to Lotus (more than once!) but after that he was responsible for the wedge-era TVR's, followed by spells in the US & China.

For an engineer, Oliver makes a great writer - he pulls no punches & tells it as it is (always has, always will!). Well worth getting hold of a copy.
Thanks for the recommendation John, that sounds like my kind of read.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 17:24 (Ref:3793361)   #204
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Thanks for the recommendation John, that sounds like my kind of read.
You won't be disappointed! It's an extremely good reader. Publisher is Veloce.
Old 16 Jul 2018, 12:40 (Ref:3836926)   #205
Tempest67
Rookie

Tempest67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I surprisingly liked the book: A State of Freedom, by Neel Mukherjee.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 11:26 (Ref:3854268)   #206
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AJ How Alan Jones Climbed to The Top Of F1.

A very good read, typical Alan Jones doesn’t mind telling it warts and all, doesn’t hold back on expressing opinions on various drivers, team owners and cars.
Old 24 Dec 2018, 13:13 (Ref:3872237)   #207
Tom V
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Tom V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also read the Alan Jones bio, like you said I like his honest opinions about certain drivers turned team owners...
Old 24 Dec 2018, 13:18 (Ref:3872238)   #208
Tom V
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Tom V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’m reading the Sports Car Racing in Camera 1980-89 book (latest in series) by Paul Parker. When this one is finished I’m hoping to finally start reading the John Barnard bio. For Xmas I’m expecting the F1 car by car 1980-89 book.
Old 24 Dec 2018, 15:20 (Ref:3872257)   #209
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Got Touring Car Racing 1958-2018 for my b’day yesterday. Quite a good read, despite the odd error, and some nice rarely seen before pictures
Old 25 Dec 2018, 08:28 (Ref:3872341)   #210
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I was given the book 60 Seasons by Alex Burnham for my birthday in September. It chronicles every race of the BTCC (well, also BSCC) from 1958 to 2017. Over 700 pages and no pictures so I'm finding it heavy going, plus there are a lot of silly mistakes that should have been found by a good proof reader (mixing the words 'passed' and 'past' for example), but interesting to dip into & out of now and again.
I'll be opening my Christmas presents soon, and usually my wife surprises me with a nice racing related book or two, so I may be reporting back again later...
Old 25 Dec 2018, 13:34 (Ref:3872360)   #211
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
As the turkey cooks , my books of 2018 -

Howden Ganley- The Road to Monaco - beautifully written ,and not by a ghost. A lovely book by a lovely man who has done it all - from Le Mans to nearly winning the '73 Canadian GP and from being the 'ga' in Tiga to the ambassador for the Formula Junior Diamond Jubilee

Adrian Newey - How to Build a Car . As a non techy reader I enjoyed this book enormously , and I found an endearingly human side to the man whom I had always thought was the geeks' geek

John Barnard - The Perfect Car .Gosh , what can I say ? A fascinating book about a man with chips on both shoulders , who comes over as profoundly unlikable . But the stuff about Ferrari is astonishing - plots, backstabbing and intrigue galore . But anybody who designed the sublime Ferrari 640 is alright by me , and the book is un-put-downable .

Pironi- The Champion Who Never Was- David Sedgwick . There is no disguising the author's love of his subject but ,on the evidence of what I have read so far , the book is just dreadfully written . As was Johnny Herbert's What Doesn't Kill You - a great story in serious need of a good subeditor .

Damon Hill's Watching The Wheels is the most insightful , fascinating and best written racing driver autobiography I have read . The only one which comes close is the late Peter Revson's Speed with Style .
Old 26 Dec 2018, 08:24 (Ref:3872397)   #212
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
So, this year my dear wife has excelled herself by buying me three books, two being motor-racing related, the other connected to my other vice, Monty Python. After flicking through all thee, I've decided that the one I couldn't put down was Eric Idle's Sortabiography: "Always look on the bright side of life". I'm trying to read it slowly (not because it's hard work, but to make it last), and am really enjoying it's written as if he's speaking every word, not full of belly laughs, but really very amusing and although I'm only up to page 33, the start of Chapter 6, I'd highly recommend it.
Old 26 Dec 2018, 11:32 (Ref:3872425)   #213
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That sounds like my kind of read, having been an MP fanatic all my life......
Old 26 Dec 2018, 12:16 (Ref:3872433)   #214
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
That sounds like my kind of read, having been an MP fanatic all my life......
Why does that not come as a surprise?........
Old 1 Jan 2019, 14:46 (Ref:3873437)   #215
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
So, this year my dear wife has excelled herself by buying me three books, two being motor-racing related, the other connected to my other vice, Monty Python. After flicking through all thee, I've decided that the one I couldn't put down was Eric Idle's Sortabiography: "Always look on the bright side of life". I'm trying to read it slowly (not because it's hard work, but to make it last), and am really enjoying it's written as if he's speaking every word, not full of belly laughs, but really very amusing and although I'm only up to page 33, the start of Chapter 6, I'd highly recommend it.
I was bought the Eric Idle book for Christmas too Not started it yet - I haven't finished the book I'm on yet (First Light by Geoff Wellum - another great read and one I'd highly recommend).
Old 26 Jan 2019, 11:03 (Ref:3878768)   #216
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
My review of the excellent John Barnard book, The Perfect Car, is now on the speedreaders.info website
Old 14 Aug 2019, 17:40 (Ref:3922748)   #217
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
A few days ago I bought two books about Uruguayan auto racing: "Una generación a fondo" and "Una vuelta por la historia", both by Diego Vigorito and Miguel Pastorino, about rallying and circuit racing respectively.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 21:32 (Ref:3922907)   #218
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
A few days ago I bought two books about Uruguayan auto racing: "Una generación a fondo" and "Una vuelta por la historia", both by Diego Vigorito and Miguel Pastorino, about rallying and circuit racing respectively.
Does Gonchi figure much?
Old 17 Aug 2019, 20:23 (Ref:3923131)   #219
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I haven't opened the book about circuit racing. Did read quite a bit of the rallying book.
Old 29 Aug 2019, 16:56 (Ref:3924696)   #220
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Indeed, the final chapter of the book is about Gonchi. He was a four-wheeled Bart Simpson or Kick Buttowski, even in Europe.
Old 29 Nov 2019, 21:38 (Ref:3943765)   #221
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race Across the World by John Smailes - story of the 1968 London - Sydney marathon.

A very interesting read- and you soon come to the conclusion that the participants are certifiable mad men.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 12:41 (Ref:3944255)   #222
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With the currency of 'Le Mans 66' (or 'Ford v Ferrari' as you prefer), I'm re-reading AJ Baime's 'Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari and their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans'. Great read. Anyone who's seen the movie and wondered ought to read it.
Old 18 Dec 2019, 07:18 (Ref:3947288)   #223
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
I can highly recommend Jon Saltinstall 's NIKI LAUDA - his competition history . Just published by Evro -my review is on the speedreaders.info website
Old 19 Dec 2019, 10:00 (Ref:3947494)   #224
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm now re-reading The Certain Sound by John Wyer. Excellent book (if a little dry..... like the man himself!).
Old 9 Jan 2020, 16:31 (Ref:3950651)   #225
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just acquired 1st edition of Touch Wood by Duncan Hamilton which I spotted in a secondhand bookshop window in Shrewsbury today. Complete with acceptable dust cover it cost me a whopping £9.50! A bit of a bargain, I reckon. I have read it before and an excellent read if I recall.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!