Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 Dec 2019, 23:53 (Ref:3946409)   #6126
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I’ve not seen the programm but just been out with some old mechanic mates and they all said the same as you Max . Anyone else staying up watching results
Old 13 Dec 2019, 00:27 (Ref:3946413)   #6127
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Yes it was on LAST Sunday not this one. Wasn't that interesting TBH, they stretched it out to two hours and being honest I fell asleep

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yes, it did a little. It was a bit tame compared to others. Still a good watch though.
Old 13 Dec 2019, 00:32 (Ref:3946415)   #6128
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I’ve not seen the programm but just been out with some old mechanic mates and they all said the same as you Max . Anyone else staying up watching results
I've been sitting on my own listening to the rain hit the conservatory pondering life.

Also thinking of what vids to put in the Videos thread. Maybe a FJ or Pre 66 GP car.
Old 13 Dec 2019, 06:38 (Ref:3946447)   #6129
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Whoops, must have misread the press release about The Great Escape prog!

But thanks to the reviews on here I can now watch on All4 and fast forward where necessary!
Old 13 Dec 2019, 08:03 (Ref:3946458)   #6130
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If you move forward each time you lose interest, it won't last for long!
Old 13 Dec 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3946460)   #6131
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
If you move forward each time you lose interest, it won't last for long!
Good as I’ve been given a new book to read- ‘Paddock to Podium’. Wonder how it will compare to ‘Alf Francis Racing Mechanic’ which was fantastic....
Old 13 Dec 2019, 12:50 (Ref:3946500)   #6132
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

I quite enjoyed the Guy Martin series but if you expect it to be mainly about the bikes it will probably disappoint - though as a "human interest" tale about the reality of the "great escape" I found it interesting.

Stayed up watching the results until about 3am when I became happy that the exit poll was in fact true when my constituency turned blue.....
Old 13 Dec 2019, 15:19 (Ref:3946535)   #6133
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
When I was running modern cars and radicals I became very dispondant with motor racing all the drivers were numptys . A good friend gave me the Alf Frances book to read and it brought back my love of motor racing .Now that’s someone i would love to meet . Guess will have to wait .
Old 13 Dec 2019, 16:03 (Ref:3946548)   #6134
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
When I was running modern cars and radicals I became very dispondant with motor racing all the drivers were numptys . A good friend gave me the Alf Frances book to read and it brought back my love of motor racing .Now that’s someone i would love to meet . Guess will have to wait .
It was you that lent me a copy of the book to read, Iain. Great stories all the way through, but especially the one when the van broke down in the Alps on the way to Maserati! I’ll never forget that.....
Old 13 Dec 2019, 16:43 (Ref:3946553)   #6135
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Looking at Bobs pics of early GP race cars and then 2019 F1 machines, it made me appreciate how ugly the cars are nowadays!

Maybe there’s a parallel in the world of The Americas Cup, the supposed holy grail of sailing? Here’s the 1903 winner Reliance and losing yacht Shamrock- both all power and grace....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1903_America%27s_Cup

And this is what the contenders look like now- incredibly high tech but aesthetically challenging?
https://www.ineosteamuk.com/
Old 13 Dec 2019, 18:38 (Ref:3946581)   #6136
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's one common denominator - aero.

Adrian Newey has done a lot of AC work hasn't he? That shows the importance of air/water flow.

Old 13 Dec 2019, 19:13 (Ref:3946589)   #6137
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
There's one common denominator - aero.

Adrian Newey has done a lot of AC work hasn't he? That shows the importance of air/water flow.

Thers another common denominator- cost! Yes, it’s all F1 and aeronautical engineers / designers nowadays! Big money......

Last edited by Mike Bell; 13 Dec 2019 at 19:18.
Old 13 Dec 2019, 19:28 (Ref:3946594)   #6138
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
When it comes to the action between the sails and the ship's hull, all being influenced by the rolling, its a moment… Add the jib's influence on the main sail and the headache is guaranteed! I had to write an article about this for Science et Vie and the thanks were longer than the text itself…
Old 13 Dec 2019, 20:09 (Ref:3946603)   #6139
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Looking at Bobs pics of early GP race cars and then 2019 F1 machines, it made me appreciate how ugly the cars are nowadays!

Maybe there’s a parallel in the world of The Americas Cup, the supposed holy grail of sailing? Here’s the 1903 winner Reliance and losing yacht Shamrock- both all power and grace....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1903_America%27s_Cup

And this is what the contenders look like now- incredibly high tech but aesthetically challenging?
https://www.ineosteamuk.com/

When was it they started to move rapidly away from the original elegance? 20 years back? 30 years back?

I wonder of the older people in 1903 who knew about the Americas Cup also thought that the then new designs were not as god as the sort of things that they would prefer?
Old 14 Dec 2019, 06:06 (Ref:3946644)   #6140
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
When was it they started to move rapidly away from the original elegance? 20 years back? 30 years back?

I wonder of the older people in 1903 who knew about the Americas Cup also thought that the then new designs were not as god as the sort of things that they would prefer?
Apparently Reliance caused as many rumblings in 1903 as some of the modern Americas Cup designs have done! Still the largest Gaff-rigged yacht ever built. I do marvel at the way the SC75s balance on the one leeward foil and the rudder foil. Don’t think it’s all down to helmsman’s skill.....
Old 14 Dec 2019, 20:56 (Ref:3946756)   #6141
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
https://www.facebook.com/valentine.l...223305716/?t=5
How to collect your Christmas tree
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Dec 2019, 21:03 (Ref:3946757)   #6142
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Sheer class, how cool is that.
Old 14 Dec 2019, 21:19 (Ref:3946758)   #6143
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Apparently Reliance caused as many rumblings in 1903 as some of the modern Americas Cup designs have done! Still the largest Gaff-rigged yacht ever built. I do marvel at the way the SC75s balance on the one leeward foil and the rudder foil. Don’t think it’s all down to helmsman’s skill.....
It's called plane sailing Mike
Old 14 Dec 2019, 22:52 (Ref:3946775)   #6144
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Well that is one way to do it. Nothing cooler
Old 15 Dec 2019, 06:42 (Ref:3946796)   #6145
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
There’s probably a ootube channel dedicated to Xmas tree transport!

So, can anyone identify the club badge in the radiator opening? (I can’t :laugh)
Old 15 Dec 2019, 12:45 (Ref:3946832)   #6146
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
So, can anyone identify the club badge in the radiator opening? There's an application on the forum for this kind of question, Mike. name is……… rbs !
Old 15 Dec 2019, 17:02 (Ref:3946871)   #6147
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Interesting short prog on beeb news channel at the moment on ‘The Bloodhound’ LSR attempt so far. One aspect of the prep that never occurred to me was how the lines the car follows during each run are marked on the dried mud surface, and how they get them straight!

Appears all down to tech used in agriculture nowadays- by a self steering GPS and laser guided tractor. Cool......

Imagine how straight they’d be if attempted using human input!
Old 15 Dec 2019, 17:49 (Ref:3946873)   #6148
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Nowadays agriculture use modern technology massively. You can record a lot of data in the GPS like stones or rocks to avoid damages to the machines. GPS for this use are ultra accurate much more than the ones we use.
Drones are used to "read" the fields and help putting fertilizer only where and when needed. Still you need a human for those inputs…
Old 15 Dec 2019, 18:37 (Ref:3946881)   #6149
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
So, can anyone identify the club badge in the radiator opening? There's an application on the forum for this kind of question, Mike. name is……… rbs !
Or B. Maybe, Mike was having a laugh?

]Attachment 55423
Attached Thumbnails
1158_01[1].jpg  
Old 15 Dec 2019, 18:50 (Ref:3946883)   #6150
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I thought it looked like a BRDC badge, Bob, but it was too blurred to say for certain! Definitely not Snetterton Motor Racing Club.....
Attached Thumbnails
22D55001-E4D2-4D9C-B655-D144400AE310.jpeg