Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 28 Jun 2013, 22:25 (Ref:3271414)   #1
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
World Rallycross Championship 2014

Yes it will happen next year
The WMSC has taken note of the intention of the promoter of the FIA European Rallycross Championship to develop the competition to World Championship level from 2014. Subject to the promoter’s proposals, the final decision on the project submitted will be decided at the September meeting of the WMSC.

Very curious....

And in other news:
An invitation to tender for a three-year single tyre and fuel supplier to the Championship has been launched by the FIA.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 15:31 (Ref:3271605)   #2
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
If they don't race in Argentina, North America, Ausstralia / New Zealand or Japan, then it's not a world championship to me. Let's hope it is, but I'm not convinced yet.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3271617)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I hope it fails.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3271640)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
If they don't race in Argentina, North America, Ausstralia / New Zealand or Japan, then it's not a world championship to me. Let's hope it is, but I'm not convinced yet.
Is it a minimum of 3 continents needed for 'world' status? I'm not sure the world is ready for this yet. Certainly it's going to be a pretty thin schedule - I can't see the super 1600s and Touring Cars going globe trotting and there isn't anything in the way of local series to step in anywhere outside Europe is there?
Old 30 Jun 2013, 22:16 (Ref:3272134)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Is it a minimum of 3 continents needed for 'world' status?
I said "for me". The WRC has 3 / 13 races outside Europe, so it's not really a world championship either to me.

Quote:
I I can't see the super 1600s and Touring Cars going globe trotting and there isn't anything in the way of local series to step in anywhere outside Europe is there?
Old 1 Jul 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3272575)   #6
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Distracted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is more racing ever a bad thing?
Old 2 Jul 2013, 15:29 (Ref:3272949)   #7
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is it a minimum of 3 continents needed for 'world' status?
A World Championship requires at least two events outside Europe according to FIA, I think, to be a classed as a such
Old 2 Jul 2013, 18:29 (Ref:3273001)   #8
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im guessing there will still be a euro championship of 9 or 10 rounds with maybe 4 or 5 of those counting towards a world championship plus 2 or 3 outside Europe. Not sure rallycross is yet ready for it and I do feel that IMG are running before they can walk. They have shown signs of getting it right recently, though how much that actually has to do with them I don't know, build on it for a year or 2 then see. Im sure the other classes will only do Europe, that's if IMG don't drop them altogether.

If it was to happen my biggest concern would be the tracks. Which other countries have proper European style circuits? I hope they don't go down the temporary circuit route or stadiums. Hopefully if it goes as it should to the US they will use one of the circuits used in 2011 and treat the americans to some real rallycross, who knows they may even get it
Old 2 Jul 2013, 19:48 (Ref:3273057)   #9
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
If it was to happen my biggest concern would be the tracks. Which other countries have proper European style circuits?
I don't think it is many tracks. Though you would only need maybe as most 5 tracks around the world. Yes, the US dosen't have real tracks, at least in the GRC. But they do have the circuit in New Jersey, the very first real track where they held the US rallycross championship back in 2010. There is also an old rallycross track in Australia, Canbury I think it's called. Though it needs restoration, it has been abounded for 30 years.

Adding gravel into regular racing tracks can also be a option, of course the gravel being good and packed so the pavement dosen't come through
Old 3 Jul 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3273254)   #10
Chessmsport
Racer

England
Eastbourne
Chessmsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I hope it fails.
Why? I would think its what Rallycross needs to make into the 'big league' of motorsport something that it has never quite done.
Old 3 Jul 2013, 10:11 (Ref:3273296)   #11
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have one question.
If there is going to be a World Rallycross Championship, where does this leave the European and Global/X Games Championships?
IMHO there are not enough competitors out there with the necessary funding to have three top line international series.
Old 3 Jul 2013, 12:15 (Ref:3273343)   #12
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never really understood why motorsport needs rounds located all around the world to create a 'world' championship. If there are enough quality funded competitors to support that format, fine. But is that true in this case?

The world athletics championship takes place in one location. So does the world darts championship. So do the football/cricket world cups...

Given that travel is the key element that drives up cost why not start this world championship as a tournament in one place, similar to the old rallycross grand prix?
Old 3 Jul 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3273350)   #13
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet View Post
I have one question.
If there is going to be a World Rallycross Championship, where does this leave the European and Global/X Games Championships?
IMHO there are not enough competitors out there with the necessary funding to have three top line international series.
That's the thing. Not enough drivers do. My dad, who I think has the experience of very few in rally and rallycross, has talked about this. The guys who will afford this will be factory backed. Drivers who has to build there own team in today's rallycross won't have a chance against cars like Ken Block's Fiesta or Doran's factory MINI RX. It'll be to expensive. Just look at the WRC. How many private cars stand a chance towards the factory cars? Or how many does even stand a chance against Volkswagen? They seriously freezed the development programme because they were so far ahead.

Of course rallycross deserves all the attention it can get (best motorsport there is) but in the future which privateer can afford it, running a team like today? Unless they are really rich and wealthy of course, like Marklund for example
Old 3 Jul 2013, 14:22 (Ref:3273396)   #14
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
I've never really understood why motorsport needs rounds located all around the world to create a 'world' championship.
Because of its definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
The world athletics championship takes place in one location. So does the world darts championship. So do the football/cricket world cups...
Those are world cups, that is one-off events. This is a championship.
Old 3 Jul 2013, 21:11 (Ref:3273573)   #15
Chessmsport
Racer

England
Eastbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet View Post
I have one question.
Surely the more publicity at at the top of the spectrum would bring in more clubmans competitors at the bottom.
Old 3 Jul 2013, 21:24 (Ref:3273582)   #16
PhergAthor
Racer

Belgium
Maasmechelen, Belgium
PhergAthor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The way I see it:

2 firms racing to get there first. GRC got the FIA international series tag from this year and they already visit 3 continents. RallycrossRX got the FIA European Championship tag and are trying to push for the World Championship tag.

GRC is leading for the moment and I wonder what tracks RallycrossRX will visit outside of Europe to have the required 3 continents for World Championship status.

Either way, rallycross will be the next big thing in motorsport.
Old 4 Jul 2013, 08:35 (Ref:3273715)   #17
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhergAthor View Post
Either way, rallycross will be the next big thing in motorsport.
It's been an obvious choice for a while, over the years the WRC has been butchered as people have tried to bend it to a more 'tv friendly' and compact format - when the answer was always there in front of them - rallycross.
Old 4 Jul 2013, 09:05 (Ref:3273723)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
True enough

But I have to say modern rallycross looks more like circuit bangers these days!
Old 4 Jul 2013, 18:57 (Ref:3273967)   #19
Chessmsport
Racer

England
Eastbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
modern rallycross looks more like circuit bangers
Where can I buy these rose tinted glasses
Old 11 Jul 2013, 17:01 (Ref:3276672)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distracted View Post
Is more racing ever a bad thing?
I don't think there will be more than 10 events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessmsport View Post
Why? I would think its what Rallycross needs to make into the 'big league' of motorsport something that it has never quite done.
Because Europe is big enough for it's own series. Why do European organizers always want to go worldwide?

Costs will increase.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 17:51 (Ref:3276693)   #21
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Because Europe is big enough for it's own series. Why do European organizers always want to go worldwide?

Costs will increase.
While normally I would support a world championship for a discipline, I'm not sure if rallycross has enough of a global reach yet to have a championship. So far we only have Europe and the US (needs further development at grassroots level) with rallycross events.

I think what rallycross needs to do in order to push into other continents is to have some form of global cup style event once or twice a year (similar to World Time Attack in Australia or the World Drift Series in China) to raise awareness and develop drivers from around the world. Plus it means we can still have a European championship.

It should only become a world championship when the time is right.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 21:33 (Ref:3276775)   #22
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
A World Championship dosen't mean a race in every continent. According to FIA (I think) two events outside Europe is required for a series to be certified as a World Championship. Otherwise it's three. A race in USA and a race in South America. 'maybe it won't be big hits but it would be a start. Also the IMG is quite good at promoting so at least the message would be sent around the world about a ralllycross WC
Old 12 Jul 2013, 17:00 (Ref:3277046)   #23
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
A World Championship dosen't mean a race in every continent. According to FIA (I think) two events outside Europe is required for a series to be certified as a World Championship. Otherwise it's three. A race in USA and a race in South America.
That's nopt a proper world championship to me.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 17:28 (Ref:3277061)   #24
Greg Cozier
Racer

Barbados
Barbados
Greg Cozier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
A race in USA and a race in South America.
Or maybe a motorsport-crazy Caribbean island known for its hospitality and never-ending summer

Old 12 Jul 2013, 18:10 (Ref:3277074)   #25
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
That's nopt a proper world championship to me.
No, it isn't a world championship really with eight (seven) out of ten races in Europe. But it would be something and a start. And rallycross is actually a "european thing" with tracks, car builder etc. So having races in every continent could backfire if it isn't acknowledged or to expensive with IMG helping costs.

The biggest worry with a world championship would be the costs. With a race in every continent, the costs would fly away. In the end we would probably only have manufactures racing, with privateers here and there driving only there home race maybe. Manufactures would also make the costs bigger with cars a lot better than the private cars built today, making the privateers forced to quit. The cars regulations is a lot more free than the current WRC regulations for example and what is a full-manufacture Mitsubishi (just an example) with maybe a 30 million euro a year budget towards today's privateer like Peter Hedström with 500 000 euro? And Hedström have pretty much for a rallycross driver today.

You can't have a real world championship without some kind of interest from track organizers and countries to organize a race. If there isn't any organizers anywhere, what's the point with a race in every continent. Formula 1 has plenty of interests for example and that's a real WC. But the amount of money there never ends though