Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Mar 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1253443)   #1
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
The Homologation Process

My questions are not brought on about the Maserati in particular, more general questions about the process. I understand it in principal; that a car is accepted to run with a certain level of equipment, i.e., engine size, transmission type, body shape, etc. and etc. But who presents the car for homologation approval? Does that always have to come from the manufacturer, or can an individual present a car also?

Using something like the Nissan 350Z, which I don't even know to be homologated for ACO competion: Can I submit for approval, or does that have to come from Nissan?

(Don't write any headlines! I am not preparing a Nissan! I haven't won the lotto yet )

robert
Old 16 Mar 2005, 15:14 (Ref:1253453)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The manufacturer has to confirm certain things like construction methods, production capacities etc. Otherwise they don't have to be involved at all.

If I recall correctly, Prodrive had a hard time getting the necessary paperwork out of Ferrari for the 550...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 16 Mar 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1253473)   #3
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hence they brought out the road legal Ferrari 550 "Le Mans" edition to keep the homologation geeks happy.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1253501)   #4
soper
Rookie

soper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nissan 350Z is already homologated to NGT by Nissan

Curiously, so is the Mazda MX5 so theres no reason why you couldnt enter one in say British GT, I dont believe they could reasonably refuse an entry to an Homologated car even if they do not consider it a proper GT car

There are actually very few GT or NGT Homologated cars available to chose from, and the process is far too onerous for small volume manufacturers.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1253506)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How many road going versions must be produced for homologation in GT2/N-GT?

I believe the number is 25 for GT1/GT correct?
Old 16 Mar 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1253509)   #6
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could be wrong, but I think the number of cars depends on how large the manufactorer is (i.e. how many cars they make a year).
Old 16 Mar 2005, 16:46 (Ref:1253511)   #7
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by soper
There are actually very few GT or NGT Homologated cars available to chose from, and the process is far too onerous for small volume manufacturers.
Unless, I guess, you are someone like Spyker, Morgan or TVR, who have made it a mission to race their wares?

I had totally forgotten about Prodrive and the 550! As I recall, they had to purchase used 550's in marketplace because Ferrari wouldn't sell them one? I guess the Taurus use of the VW V10 Diesel is related, in that they figured VW wouldn't approve and thus wouldn't sell them an engine.

So a privateer would have a challenge having a car homologated unless the manufacturer agreed to supply detailed information, which I am sure would cost an extensive amount of money to compile and also be approved by the legal people, etc. within the corporation?

robert
Old 16 Mar 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1253520)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
How many road going versions must be produced for homologation in GT2/N-GT?

I believe the number is 25 for GT1/GT correct?
The ACO were once talking about upping the minimuium requirement for carbon chassied GT1 cars to 100 for major manufactuers, such as Maserati, and keeping the 25 limit for smaller manufactuers.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 16:58 (Ref:1253529)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maserati is a major manufacturer??? How many cars do they sell compared to GM?
Old 16 Mar 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1253534)   #10
Vacarella
Rookie

Vacarella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have always thought that the holmogation requirements were a little, shall I say "funny" for instance - The Chevy Vette has no homologation issues dispite the fact that the Pratt and Miller C6R bares no resemblance at all to its road going counterpart. The Saleen S7R on the other hand is very much like the car that you and I can buy from the manufacturer. Because of its construction constraints and exotic pricetag, the S7R is made is far less quantities and costs much more than its Vette street counterpart. It seems that this was a major obsticle in the Saleen being homologated.

The homologation process seems very much cut and paste to suit the needs (or wants) of the ACO. All they seem to care about is if the "street version" of the racer is made in enough quantities.

Last edited by Vacarella; 16 Mar 2005 at 17:05.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1253541)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
How many cars do FIAT sell?

Don't Ferrari have the biggest budget in F1, even against the likes of Honda etc.

Last edited by JAG; 16 Mar 2005 at 17:07.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1253548)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacarella
I have always thought that the holmogation requirements were a little, shall I say "funny" for instance - The Chevy Vette has no homologation issues dispite the fact that the Pratt and Miller C6R bares no resemblance at all to its road going counterpart. The Saleen S7R on the other hand is very much like the car that you and I can buy from the manufacturer. Because of its construction constraints and exotic pricetag, the S7R is made is far less quantities and costs much more than its Vette street counterpart. It seems that this was a major obsticle in the Saleen being homologated.

A WRC car has no resemblence whatsoever to its road going counterpart, yet 25,000 road cars are required.

Maybe the best GT regs are the JGTC GT500 ones. So much freedom is allowed, compared to the basic road car, that even a ten plus year old design like the Honda NSX can be competitive. The only problem then is development costs.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1253550)   #13
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
But that is Ferrari's goal, to race. It has always been that way. Honda could care less about racing. They want the marketing exposure. Most manufacturers are in it for the exposure. Which is why F1 continues to make less sense from a manufacturer view point. Hopefully they see the light soon.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1253557)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
But that is Ferrari's goal, to race. It has always been that way. Honda could care less about racing. They want the marketing exposure. Most manufacturers are in it for the exposure. Which is why F1 continues to make less sense from a manufacturer view point. Hopefully they see the light soon.
My point was its FIAT money, same as Maserati.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1253561)   #15
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
How much money does Ferrari get from FIAT?
Old 16 Mar 2005, 17:26 (Ref:1253564)   #16
JAG
Veteran

England
ignore

Last edited by JAG; 16 Mar 2005 at 17:27.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1253566)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Put it this way, they write all the cheques.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1253567)   #18
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Thats a fair point as Ferrari is one of the strongest 'brand names' in the world, much of the F1 costs are met by companies paying huge sums of money to have their name associated with Ferrari
Old 16 Mar 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1253578)   #19
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Exactly

Unless of course you have some facts JAG...

Maserarti/Ferrari have nothing to gain by introducing a homologation special. Sportscar racing is not their primary business. Their intent is to sell customer cars.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1253587)   #20
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Exactly

Unless of course you have some facts JAG...

Maserarti/Ferrari have nothing to gain by introducing a homologation special. Sportscar racing is not their primary business. Their intent is to sell customer cars.
So why have most Ferrari F1 cars had prominant FIAT sponsorship for many years.

The Maserati program is a works effort primarily, the 575/360's are customer programs.

The MC12 program is part of Ferraris masterplan to raise the profile of the brand.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1253595)   #21
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Prominent? I see a small FIAT logo on the nose and a small logo at the side near the rear tires. You still have no facts. Just because you state as so doesn't make it so.

Yes they're trying to elevate the Maserati brand.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1253601)   #22
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Prominent? I see a small FIAT logo on the nose and a small logo at the side near the rear tires. You still have no facts. Just because you state as so doesn't make it so.

Yes they're trying to elevate the Maserati brand.
How else do you think a relatively small company like Ferrari can compete with the likes of Ford and Toyota.

Just as Ford pull the strings at Jaguar and Aston, FIAT do at Ferrari. Of course Ferrari also recieve huge amounts from sponsorship as well.

Ferrari's main program is F1 while Maseratis, now under the leadership of Ferrari, is sportscar racing.

Theres nothing to say that Maserati will not have a long a term future in sportscars, as Ferrari have had in F1. We may see LMPs, GT2's etc. from Maserati in the coming years.

Last edited by JAG; 16 Mar 2005 at 18:13.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1253605)   #23
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIAT don't actually plumb that much money into the F1 programme. According to The Guardian's little F1 booklet they hand over around £8m. Marlboro pays £38m to give you a comparison. FIAT are generally a bit miffed that Ferrari plough nearly all of their road car profits into the racing side.

Maserati has been seperated from Ferrari's books and is now lumped in with Alfa Romeo in an effort to turn the maker around and start making money. Which is where the MC12 comes in, Masterati are trying to boose sales in America and Europe.

Sorry if this a bit off topic.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 22:52 (Ref:1253805)   #24
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
OK, I chose the Nissan to keep this less complicated

It is approved for N GT, it was submitted by Nissan I assume? ACO GT2 Spec is a level above N GT, is that a totally new Homologation level, or is that allowences beyond N GT spec?

I believe years ago the lots of the parts had to come from the manufactures parts books--this was case with SCCA. You couldn't use say Brembo brakes on your Toyota unless Toyota gave them a parts number. Porsche, Mazda, Datsun/Nissan all were with this type program while others weren't. Is it freer in that regard now, or is there a parts book for Morgan that lists the equipment used on the car last year at Le Mans?

I am not trying to be dense here, just is turning out that way, and this has been the day for dense.

robert, bound for Sebring in the hopefully less rainy morning.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 23:30 (Ref:1253848)   #25
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
How many cars do FIAT sell?

Don't Ferrari have the biggest budget in F1, even against the likes of Honda etc.
aahhhh..... you mean Maserati is a major manufacturer in the same way that Lotus is?

Off-topic... I've heard that Toyota has a similar budget to Ferrari in F1. I doubt that much of Ferrari's budget comes from Fiat Auto profits (what profits?).