Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 17 Nov 2003, 19:36 (Ref:786390)   #1
gadgit
Racer

gadgit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where to run F3 car?

I am currently in the process of buying an 1989 F3 Dallara. I was just curious as to what are the steps that i need to take in order to be able to run the car at test days. I do not yet have a race licence of any sort, and understand that using a single seater on a track day now is virtually outlawed. I do plan to get a licence, and was wondering what the requirements are in order to run the car in a non-competative situatoin on various tracks around the country. What are the licence requirements for me to do this?

Many thanks,
Gadgit.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 20:30 (Ref:786451)   #2
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at castle combe I believe you can run a car with a driving license providing it meats the sounds requirments, safty requirements and the driver has all the safty gear, I think that is only on a "105 DB" test day, onthe 108DB I think you need a full race license. I think you may want to check with them, but thats how I remember it.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 00:28 (Ref:786677)   #3
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can try book-a-track, as I recently did a track day with them in a Formula Renault at Donnington on a noisy day. But the speed differential between an F3 car and say a Golf Gti is massive and you could easily have a huge accident because the car in front did not see you. The other issue is noise, if you go on a track day you really need to know how loud your car is otherwise it could be a very disapointing day.
If i were you i would do an ARDS course and get your license and then go somewhere very quiet to get a feel of the car. Try Anglesey which is very cheap and normally fairly empty. What championship and you running in next year, Monoposto or ARP F3 ?
Old 18 Nov 2003, 09:42 (Ref:786863)   #4
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Straight into an F3 is a big step, I agree that you need to do an ARDS course and try to spend some time in something like Formula Fords first. Bear in mind that if you sprint or hillclimb first you don't need a full race licence (no Ards test, medical etc) Places like Three Sisters and Curborough let people test on non race licences so I guess that there must be places like that nearer to you? This might give you a cheap and easy way to start to get used to it.
I've used Book a Track as well, they're good but you might find it a bit busy if there's no single seater session.
If you find a local environmental scrutineer (out of the "Blue book", they might be able to noise test it for you - alternatively, make sure you find out from whoever you buy from.
Good luck
Old 19 Nov 2003, 01:32 (Ref:787808)   #5
Richard Young
Racer

Richard Young should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gadgit,
If you don't mind travelling, you could always come to Kirkistown ! Don't know where you're starting from, but I'm sure I could get you some track time.
If you're interested, send me a PM with phone numbers and I'll fill you in......
Old 19 Nov 2003, 01:45 (Ref:787818)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phew thats a bit of a trek from Cambridge!! altho everyone I met at Kirkistown (and south of the border at Phoenix) was super helpful!

Richard are you the sprint champ from Ulster? used to write for Autosplat IIRC?
Old 20 Nov 2003, 08:40 (Ref:789174)   #7
Richard Young
Racer

Richard Young should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ghinzani
Guilty as charged.......
Old 27 Nov 2003, 00:27 (Ref:795648)   #8
Red Dog
Racer

Red Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gadgit, straight into F3??!! What have you driven before?
Even if you drive a really quick road car an F3 is a bit different. I have been out on track in my Clubmans car with hot road cars in allcomers races and the corner speeds are so different it catches you by surprise.
Good luck.
Old 27 Nov 2003, 00:50 (Ref:795663)   #9
Tom Horley
Racer

Tom Horley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow couldnt imagine an F3 round Three Sisters, Mike! I mean i know they do all sorts there but i race karts round there and i just couldnt imagine something much bigger!
Old 27 Nov 2003, 01:16 (Ref:795671)   #10
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you can drive a 1996 Formula 1 car around Three Sisters for about a grand if you like.
Old 27 Nov 2003, 09:26 (Ref:795854)   #11
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look at the sprints there, RAC rounds have bigger cars than F3. For testing, it's cheap and normally quiet for a first time out in a new car - then you can move to a longer and faster track. I agree that some of the corners are a bit tight though.