Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 2 Nov 2006, 23:40 (Ref:1756678)   #151
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Does that mean then that all Observers can sign too? At the moment only Examining Observers can sign upgrade cards. I can see it causing all sorts of problems if Io's are allowed to sign grading cards and Observers aren't.
Old 3 Nov 2006, 06:43 (Ref:1756816)   #152
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Steve if my memory serves me right, is that the Silverstone system is that IOs can only sign for Course and Incident Marshals. This is not really a problem as they control those grades more than the Observer, who, again at Silverstone, is often 2-300 yeards away! Again, only nominated IOs.
I now know that I am going to be corrected by all the Silverstone regulars!!!
Old 3 Nov 2006, 07:34 (Ref:1756847)   #153
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Examining Observerss are becoming rare beasts
Lets make the process of upgrade from Observer to Examining Observer more simple than it is.
Old 3 Nov 2006, 07:57 (Ref:1756858)   #154
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
Examining Observerss are becoming rare beasts
Lets make the process of upgrade from Observer to Examining Observer more simple than it is.
You should go to Oulton more often - I've not been on a post there this year without AT LEAST one black x on!
Old 3 Nov 2006, 08:38 (Ref:1756894)   #155
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes but from the way i understand XOs can not sign an upgrade for me.
Old 3 Nov 2006, 09:52 (Ref:1756994)   #156
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
Yes but from the way i understand XOs can not sign an upgrade for me.
I dont know what grade you are so I cannot comment on your particular position. A XO can sign an upgrade for all grades with the exception of upgrading to XO. This is done by a club nominating an Observer to become an XO, or at least that is my understanding of it.
Old 3 Nov 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1757028)   #157
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice
I dont know what grade you are so I cannot comment on your particular position. A XO can sign an upgrade for all grades with the exception of upgrading to XO. This is done by a club nominating an Observer to become an XO, or at least that is my understanding of it.
Almost!

An Observer can apply to be an "X" to his/her regional committee.
That committee will then either approve or deny the request.
If approved, two references are sought from exsisting XO's at the discretion of the committee.
After successful references, the upgrade is then referred to the MSA......and you then wait for 17 yrs for an upgrade.
(That's how it worked for me.......it might have changed!)
Old 3 Nov 2006, 13:17 (Ref:1757119)   #158
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel
You should go to Oulton more often - I've not been on a post there this year without AT LEAST one black x on!
I have, on several occasions. Half a dozen or so of the regular Oulton observers (including trainees) haven't got an 'X' & at several meetings this year observer numbers have been such that a few posts haven't had a graded observer.
Old 3 Nov 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1757123)   #159
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can honestly say that, no matter what post I've been on and no matter at what circuit, over the last couple of years there has ALWAYS been an Examining Observer!
Old 3 Nov 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1757127)   #160
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, and I forgot to bring my card when I was on your post...
Old 3 Nov 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1757136)   #161
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Yes, and I forgot to bring my card when I was on your post...
Wouldn't have signed it anyway - The flagging was terrible!
Old 3 Nov 2006, 13:52 (Ref:1757139)   #162
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

(Just to reassure you I took it the right way!)
Old 3 Nov 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1757141)   #163
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
.......plus I thought you were a graded flagman anyhow!
Old 3 Nov 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1757411)   #164
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Ah, well. I am, sort of. Lost the card about 6 years ago, so starting again, which can be quite fun, especially when the obs thinks you're brand new with no experience beyond a novice training day!

I wouldn't have bothered, except that it could make a difference for marshalling abroad, and it's best to be ahead of any new rules that come out (see other thread),