Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Jul 2005, 11:16 (Ref:1353403)   #26
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

First edition of Circuito da Boavista modern era was a sucess, no doubts. For the future we don't know. I have been many time with Spanish GT & National races drivers and they didn't fear the track. I'm surprised to see that International Classic car drivers say its not safe. As I said before I understand all their concern and I really hope that portuguese organization can listen their opinions to improve the track for 2007 Historic Festival.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1353464)   #27
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that we would all echo that!
Old 12 Jul 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1353659)   #28
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Has anyone found an online list of entrants and - dare I hope - results?
Old 12 Jul 2005, 16:36 (Ref:1353696)   #29
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD
Has anyone found an online list of entrants and - dare I hope - results?
Try ; www.circuitodaboavista.com/
Old 12 Jul 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1353721)   #30
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, here:

http://www.circuitodaboavista.com/gca/?id=301

HTH,

James W
Old 12 Jul 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1353736)   #31
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Splendid! Ta muchly.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1355328)   #32
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well Marcus Pye gives it a big thumbs up in todays autosport!
Old 14 Jul 2005, 12:08 (Ref:1355346)   #33
simon drabble
Veteran

having read both of Marcus' articles it seems along with stories from those there that - like Pau it is a great weekend
but for me its too high a risk of accident - thta is not a case of being a coward (well maybe it is!!) but I do this for fun not a profession in which case I want to have fun and keep the costs down as like most I have no sponsor and therefore all damages have to come out of my own pocket...
If I had a big budget I would enjoy these road circuits a lot more
Old 14 Jul 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1355429)   #34
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
the other consideration for us is the overall expense of the weekend, mainly due to the location, its a long way to Porto towing !

I'd still go to Monza given the chance though !
Old 14 Jul 2005, 14:14 (Ref:1355435)   #35
simon drabble
Veteran

yup so would I but to be fair they did offer to help with travel and race entry fee- I think the jury is out asto whether I have been tempted by what I have read - it sounds a great weekend but the smudge shows a street more narrow than anything at Pau!
Old 16 Jul 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1356936)   #36
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
Take a look: http://scgtclassic.com.sapo.pt/Porto2005.htm
Old 18 Jul 2005, 08:13 (Ref:1357588)   #37
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
ouch, that ferraris going to need a little fettling before it races again, didn't look too narrow though, it must be at least 2 cars and 2 fag packets wide, how much room do you need !
Old 18 Jul 2005, 08:18 (Ref:1357590)   #38
ianselva
Rookie

ianselva should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porto

Hi, I drove down there (1300 Miles) and raced in the Formula Juniors. There had been tremendous committment from the organisers just to get the race on, they had even resurfaced half a cobbled roundabout. I believe all starters got 400 Euros start expenses. The track was not dangerous provided you drove with respect for the fact there was little room for error or inappropriate driving . The circuit could certainly be improved , better marking of the corners and a serious word with the breakdown crews who lifted Montevedis 250LM by its ally roof !
Old 18 Jul 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1357890)   #39
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
Dear Ian, What is your opinion about the event?
Old 19 Jul 2005, 07:56 (Ref:1358354)   #40
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a saying that race insurance for super-valuable cars is relatively cheap because you cannot do more than £100ks worth of damage to them (the car's value being in the chassis plate and provenance). I understand that this figure was revised a couple of years back when several corners of a 250LM was slammed at Goodwood, and it looks as though the revised figure may be overdue for a further (upwards only) review now......
Old 19 Jul 2005, 08:10 (Ref:1358365)   #41
ianselva
Rookie

ianselva should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it has the basis of a very good event. Obviously there are some improvements could be made. The track could be wider by mounting the concrete blocks on the Kerb instead of inside it, the safety car should be told to run at a reasonable speed , bearing in mind the termperature and lack of air for the cars, and the timetable needs to be planned to allow for the inevietable red flag periods.
Old 19 Jul 2005, 08:22 (Ref:1358373)   #42
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Some got the start money ,we did not.It is an individule decision to race or not to race.Have spoken to a few drivers this last weekend and much bodywork and mechanical damage at Porto.Problem is time and money whats new
Old 19 Jul 2005, 08:27 (Ref:1358378)   #43
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Horsman
There is a saying that race insurance for super-valuable cars is relatively cheap because you cannot do more than £100ks worth of damage to them (the car's value being in the chassis plate and provenance). I understand that this figure was revised a couple of years back when several corners of a 250LM was slammed at Goodwood, and it looks as though the revised figure may be overdue for a further (upwards only) review now......
We got a quote for the Portugal event:

About 1,400 pounds for 35,000 worth of accident (chassis, not engine/box) damage, same again for fire damage.

But the excess was 5,000 on accident and 10,000 on fire damage - so you have to do at least 6,400 or 11,400 worth of damage (or 7,800 & 12,800 if you took both options) before you aren't losing money, and you have to be looking at a pretty major accident to do that.
Old 19 Jul 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1358795)   #44
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Horsman
I understand that this figure was revised a couple of years back when several corners of a 250LM was slammed at Goodwood......
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Carlos Monteverde's 250LM is s/n 6313 - which makes it the same one that Juan Barazi had two separate accidents in at Goodwood.

Poor little car - starting to take on the characteristics of Murphy's Axe, I think.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1359079)   #45
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, I think that that's bang on. As it were.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1391124)   #46
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some coverage,about 15 mins,of the historics just turned up on the Race World programme on Sky Sports. Certainly spectacular. Repeated at 7pm.
Old 26 Aug 2005, 06:30 (Ref:1391539)   #47
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley
We got a quote for the Portugal event:

About 1,400 pounds for 35,000 worth of accident (chassis, not engine/box) damage, same again for fire damage.

But the excess was 5,000 on accident and 10,000 on fire damage - so you have to do at least 6,400 or 11,400 worth of damage (or 7,800 & 12,800 if you took both options) before you aren't losing money, and you have to be looking at a pretty major accident to do that.
That sounds very expensive. I insure for most races and it is nothing like as expensive. I use Egger Lawson and think that they are very good, they pay quickly and are easy to deal with.
In respect to the car being lifted by its ally roof it reminds me of Pau where the truck driver didnt tie down my Eleven and then insisted on showing me how fast he could drive his lorry. On the downhill hairpin my car was bounced into his bulkhead under heavy braking. Damage was about £6000. fortunately that was covered under my transit insurance with Fairmont.
Old 27 Aug 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1392336)   #48
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
That sounds very expensive. I insure for most races and it is nothing like as expensive. I use Egger Lawson and think that they are very good, they pay quickly and are easy to deal with.
In respect to the car being lifted by its ally roof it reminds me of Pau where the truck driver didnt tie down my Eleven and then insisted on showing me how fast he could drive his lorry. On the downhill hairpin my car was bounced into his bulkhead under heavy braking. Damage was about £6000. fortunately that was covered under my transit insurance with Fairmont.
Thanks for the info. will certainly talk to them if we need cover again.

Peter