Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Aug 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1394705)   #1
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Derek Bell Trophy

Does anyone share my view that historic racing naturally tends to move forwards in terms of eligilbility ?
The reason for this thread is to wonder whether/when the eligibility of the DBT would come up to pre 90 cars such as the F3000's. Is this a possibility in the near/middle future or will these cars just sit around doing nothing. They seem such good value and are almost the last of the proper multi manufacturer racing cars and it seems a crying shame that they are not racing somewhere (I exclude Euroboss as it has moved on beyond F3000)
I would be interested to hear all views on this topic
Old 30 Aug 2005, 20:41 (Ref:1394869)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
After a discussion here on 10/10 a while back about the multitude of F3000 chassis sitting around, I put the idea to Roger Cowman of EuroBoss, regarding the possibility of a stand-a-lone series for these cars, possibly at EuroBoss meetings, which he thought was an excellent suggestion. However as yet nothing has come of it. I guess they are having enough hassle getting entries for the main series as it is.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1395010)   #3
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
Tamborine Mountain, Qld. Australia
Andrew Fellowes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart
Does anyone share my view that historic racing naturally tends to move forwards in terms of eligilbility ?
Yes I agree,
For sure they should have their own historic race.

I’ve seen Historics for over thirty five years now as I first got involved when the pre 60’s were just over 10 years old but technology had changed so much that they sure were old! The visual changes are nowhere near as dramatic now.

The popular classes at historic meets (here in Oz) are getting younger. Will this continue and if so will some groups fade away?
Old 31 Aug 2005, 05:02 (Ref:1395146)   #4
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a big question, which crops up every few years
There is a huge outcry whenever roll-on effects are mooted. If 1980s cars are allowed to compete, my 1970s model is suddenly obsolete (and loses value). Or do we stage separate races for the newer cars to allow the old ones to continue?
Where are we going to hold all these races? It's already difficult enough getting calendar dates in Europe - are we suddenly going to find more meetings? Or drop some of the classes for older cars to make way?
Don't get me wrong. Although my personal interests don't extend greatly to the more modern machinery (F3000, Group C etc) I heartily agree they do attract many other enthusiasts, and am all in favour of them having races.
Just pointing out it ain't easy...
Old 3 Sep 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1398160)   #5
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the co-founder of the HSCC Derek Bell series along with Lincoln Small I cannot see the cut off date being moved forward to bring in any "new cars" What we want is more of the pre80 formula cars that are lurking around.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 22:41 (Ref:1399088)   #6
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ted thank you for your imput and everybody else. I do hope that the last of the "proper" single racing cars do find a home somewhere as it seems very strange and a little sad not to see cars like the March, Lola and Reynard F3000's doing battle.

I guess that I particularly like the late 80's F3000 cars as I can remember Johnny Herbert, Blundell and numerous others driving these cars in period. When I look at historic racing F2 is represented fully (as far as I know) right up to 1980 and thereafter there is nothing for these great cars.

I would assume that as people who remember F3000 cars and drivers in their heyday get older and hopefully weathier they will buy them and a race series will evolve. The only real fly in the ointment is that the cars might be cheap but that a DFV most certainly is not.