Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 13 Jul 2014, 02:56 (Ref:3433323)   #26
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
JPM throwing out DB in an interview. Classic.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 03:15 (Ref:3433325)   #27
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well that was an exciting race.
Sucks for TK but at least Ganassi is still winless this year!
Newgarden in 2nd is a great result. Sarah better watch out, it would be a shame if someone steals him.
And IndyCar still showing its inconsistencies by not penalizing Carpenter!
Old 13 Jul 2014, 04:38 (Ref:3433341)   #28
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Well that was an exciting race.
Sucks for TK but at least Ganassi is still winless this year!
Newgarden in 2nd is a great result. Sarah better watch out, it would be a shame if someone steals him.
And IndyCar still showing its inconsistencies by not penalizing Carpenter!
Did they penalise Hinchcliffe after Indy?
If not there is no inconsistency.....
And Walker recently indicated a change to drive through penalties and probably to other aspects.

I thought it odd too not to penalise but Carpenter put his hand up after the race, saying there was no deliberate intention.....
There is no way Montoya was as committed or as far up alongside as Hinchcliffe was on Carpenter at Indy so if Hinchcliffe wasn't penalised then no reason to penalise Carpenter....
Old 13 Jul 2014, 05:12 (Ref:3433346)   #29
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just last week they penalized Power for blocking (and he didn't wreck anyone) so the inconsistency is there.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 08:19 (Ref:3433367)   #30
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Just last week they penalized Power for blocking (and he didn't wreck anyone) so the inconsistency is there.
It isn't just a matter of wrecking people. I didn't see the Pocono race so I won't judge that incident until I do. But from comments in several corners it was deliberately obstructive and dangerous. If that is true it would have been justifiable.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 10:48 (Ref:3433399)   #31
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I got asleep on lap 200 or so. Today I woke up early, but entered Autosport.com and saw who won the race. Anyway, I saw the rest of the race on ESPN Play.

Great work by Hunter-Reay's team. The cameras barely showed the last pitstops, so the ESPN Latinoamérica announcers totally missed that until Michael and RHR were interviewed.

Carpenter should have been penalized. He closed the gap after Montoya went for it.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 10:49 (Ref:3433400)   #32
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Yes, Carpenter's move was unintentional, but still was blocking.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 11:25 (Ref:3433406)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I got asleep on lap 200 or so. Today I woke up early, but entered Autosport.com and saw who won the race. Anyway, I saw the rest of the race on ESPN Play.

Great work by Hunter-Reay's team. The cameras barely showed the last pitstops, so the ESPN Latinoamérica announcers totally missed that until Michael and RHR were interviewed.

Carpenter should have been penalized. He closed the gap after Montoya went for it.
I missed all the excitement as my laptop crashed, so it will have to be highlights.

For the record:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114945

Results - 300 laps: Pos Driver Team/Engine Time/Gap
1. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti/Honda 2h01m58.8160s
2. Josef Newgarden Fisher/Honda +0.5814s
3. Tony Kanaan Ganassi/Chevy +1.0676s
4. Scott Dixon Ganassi/Chevy +2.7606s
5. Ed Carpenter Carpenter/Chevy +4.9819s
6. James Hinchcliffe Andretti/Honda +5.0135s
7. Graham Rahal Rahal/Honda +6.7976s
8. Helio Castroneves Penske/Chevy +7.1408s
9. Ryan Briscoe Ganassi/Chevy +7.1896s
10. Charlie Kimball Ganassi/Chevy +7.6098s
11. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt/Honda +7.7794s
12. Carlos Munoz Andretti/Honda +7.8190s
13. Justin Wilson Coyne/Honda +11.2612s
14. Will Power Penske/Chevy +11.7947s
15. Jack Hawksworth Herta/Honda -4 laps

Retirements:
Juan Pablo Montoya Penske/Chevy 280 laps
Sebastian Saavedra KV/Chevy 258 laps
Marco Andretti Andretti/Honda 229 laps
Sebastien Bourdais KV/Chevy 130 laps
Carlos Huertas Coyne/Honda 78 laps
Mikhail Aleshin Schmidt/Honda 47 laps
Takuma Sato Foyt/Honda 47 laps

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 13 Jul 2014 at 11:30.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 15:49 (Ref:3433458)   #34
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Yes, Carpenter's move was unintentional, but still was blocking.
Just a comment about 'unintentionally'.

A block is deliberate, and therefore intentional.
Closing the door may or may not be intentional, but it happens. You can obstruct someone, cause or create avoidable contact, or cause a racing incident unintentionally, (and none of that may avoid responsibility for it), but you can't block unintentionally.

If a driver is aware someone is behind him and deliberately places his car in a position to prevent an overtake, that is a block. So to put it another way, a block is always intentional, or it is not a block.

Was Carpenter aware Montoya was behind him?
I think so but may not have been aware of how far, or how close he was, or that he was having a go for it.

The stewards reviewed it and decided it was not an offence that demanded penalty so may have decided it was a racing incident because Montoya was not far enough in to be alongside but on ovals finesse and the maintenance of racing lines is highly desirable.

Montoya was behind and the contact was minimal but Carpenter changing his line and pattern of negotiating that section of the oval certainly caught Montoya out.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 18:41 (Ref:3433531)   #35
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I warched the highlights, all be it 3 and something minutes of them, so I couldn't gauge the race at all but it did look like they had a pretty good crowd.
Old 14 Jul 2014, 17:31 (Ref:3433863)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Carpenter apoligises to Montoya.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114959