Another casualty

http://www.walkerracing.com/media/di...id=417&lang=en

Walker out of IRL
Old 11 Mar 2008, 14:40 (Ref:2149191)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry but this topic is already being discussed elsewhere; I suggest to close this one
Old 12 Mar 2008, 13:46 (Ref:2149983)   #3
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi are also out. This is becoming abit of a farce

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 12 Mar 2008, 14:53 (Ref:2150020)   #4
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/indy...r_walker?.html

May not be over for Walker
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 13 Mar 2008, 03:21 (Ref:2150493)   #5
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone
Minardi are also out. This is becoming abit of a farce
Not according to this: http://www.indycar.com/news/story.ph...aign=speedRead

Granted, it won't be known as Minardi Team USA, but it's still the same team.
Old 13 Mar 2008, 07:23 (Ref:2150551)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandretti39
Not according to this: http://www.indycar.com/news/story.ph...aign=speedRead

Granted, it won't be known as Minardi Team USA, but it's still the same team.
Excellent post and news!

particularly given the source: normally IRL release news about entries only when they're more than sure

My personal feeling is that the farce is what some CC nostalgic are trying to preceive ..
Old 13 Mar 2008, 14:37 (Ref:2150831)   #7
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
Excellent post and news!

particularly given the source: normally IRL release news about entries only when they're more than sure

My personal feeling is that the farce is what some CC nostalgic are trying to preceive ..
At the time of my post it wasn't announced that Minardi would carry on under a different fashion.

Apologies if some of us are trying to fight the champ car corner. I just want a great open wheel series with a mixture of teams.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 13 Mar 2008, 15:28 (Ref:2150875)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
That's what we all want actually

Of course one of the consequences of this merger is a stronger series, which means, from a certian point of view, harder times for small teams; we have to expect some sort of selections in the years to come, and the growth of the series will have to be based to their ability to attract new strong outfits: for example, if some Nascar squads liked to join Penske and Ganassi in the both-sides-effort teams, it would be great.

But other will struggle, like it or not, and it won't mean it's a farce, just new times.
Old 13 Mar 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2150919)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In Curt Cavin's racing blog at the Indianaplis Star today, he provides the reason why Walker had to issue the news release linked above at the start of this thread and stated that Walker is still pursuing support with hopes to be at Homestead at the end of the month

http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpert/

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 14 Mar 2008, 14:41 (Ref:2151741)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well as I said some time ago, if a "merger" was going to happen it needed to be properly organized. We now have a lot of good races that are probably gone for good along with several teams as well. The announcement of a deal landed with a thud.

It's been ill conceived and half assed, but considering who's involved I'm not surprised.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2151771)   #11
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
I see your point ms, but I think that either they caught this chance or everything would have been missed once again. It's now or never IMO
Old 14 Mar 2008, 16:17 (Ref:2151786)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This wasn't a "merger." It can be called unification, amalgamation, assimilation, or even the term used in Curt Cavin's blog, "Blendification," but it is clear that this was not a "merger," wherre parties on both sides will have a say in the future of open wheel racing. The IRL will call the shots, and that doesn't happen in a "merger."

Although many races will be gone for 2008, the slate is clean for 2009, according to Brian Barnhart, so I'm not sure exactly how man races will be gone for good...the ones that were successful and make sense in a unified schedule could and probably would come back.

As for teams, to have as many as nine cars come over comprising five teams on such short notice is a rather decent accomplishment (NHL, KV, Conquest, Dale Coyne & HVM).

Forsythe and Rocketstports dropping off is due to personalities...it seems clear in hindsight that those two were the roadblocks to past unification efforts.

No one really knows what PCM is going to do yet

Walker is still trying to put together an effort as noted above

By my count, they could lose all four of those, but only two teams definitely seem to be "gone" as of now....

FWIW

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 14 Mar 2008, 20:46 (Ref:2151926)   #13
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
This wasn't a "merger." It can be called unification, amalgamation, assimilation, or even the term used in Curt Cavin's blog, "Blendification," but it is clear that this was not a "merger," wherre parties on both sides will have a say in the future of open wheel racing. The IRL will call the shots, and that doesn't happen in a "merger."

This is exactly why I won`t bother with it this year....maybe more.
You see........if I wanted to see the IRL, I would have all along.

Old 15 Mar 2008, 04:41 (Ref:2152184)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
To me it was an acquisition(and a weak one at that), not a merger. There are a mass of disenfranchised people out there now and many wont be back.

The irony in all this is that mr. george has everything now, so success or failure is all on his plate.
Old 15 Mar 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2152765)   #15
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Derrick Walker was palying both sides, looking for the best deal. Probably he needs a set amount of money by a certain date to field a car in any series. Walker must have felt the 1.2 million dollars guranteed with additional prize money wouldn't cut it - he is not dumb enough to dip into his wallet.

If the series grows and and it attracts more sponsors, people like Derrick Walker will be back soon enough.
Old 15 Mar 2008, 19:35 (Ref:2152773)   #16
rush1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
To me it was an acquisition(and a weak one at that), not a merger. There are a mass of disenfranchised people out there now and many wont be back.

The irony in all this is that mr. george has everything now, so success or failure is all on his plate.
If CART had so many loyal supporters it would have flourished in the first place.

Victors always write the history and Tony George, via the "unification" now owns CARTS history like the stats.

CART can now join the pantheon of losing series like the USFL and the ABA here in the states. CART is gone and will become as irrelevent as the aforementioned sporting leagues.
Old 15 Mar 2008, 21:56 (Ref:2152910)   #17
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You cannot re write history. What CART achieved will forever remain, both in terms of people's memories and on paper. Sure Champcar lost in the end and got bought up but to say CART and Champcar will become irrelevent is ridiculous, a lot of good drivers and teams have existed in Champcar over the years and a lot have moved on to other series.
Old 15 Mar 2008, 23:46 (Ref:2152981)   #18
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very well said Saleen.

Seems rush still wants to throw stones.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 00:08 (Ref:2153000)   #19
rush1
Veteran

I wish the open wheel civil war never happened but it did and CART is gone for good, the racing community will forget as the years tick by. There will be no more champ car events or CART champions - its over.

You have to acknowledge the death of the patient to begin the healing process and the patient is completely dead.

We have to look forward to the future.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 01:14 (Ref:2153054)   #20
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all of which is true, rush ... but to keep the analogy going, it is good practice to be courteous and sensitive to the relatives of the deceased, and to try and help them cope with the loss
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 16 Mar 2008, 13:58 (Ref:2153663)   #21
rush1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jinxx
all of which is true, rush ... but to keep the analogy going, it is good practice to be courteous and sensitive to the relatives of the deceased, and to try and help them cope with the loss
Well said, as long as they don't show up and pretend like the series will be a failure because one backmarker like Walkers operation can't field a team. If they act like the sky is falling in over this one small casualty I wouldn't have to open my mouth in the first place.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 18:49 (Ref:2153961)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1
Well said, as long as they don't show up and pretend like the series will be a failure because one backmarker like Walkers operation can't field a team. If they act like the sky is falling in over this one small casualty I wouldn't have to open my mouth in the first place.
Walker is a back marker? What planet have you been on for the past 10 years? They've won a hell of alot of races.

You know this last minute half assed deal put a lot of people out of jobs or soon to be out of jobs? I would be concerned a team with the stature and prowess of Walker can't field a car. There are 40 guys there that may be out of a job soon.

The uptake rate for champcar teams so far is poor. There are a lot of teams with intentions but many don't have anything confirmed yet. Apparently the "free" hondas come with stipulations attached and the "free" dallaras have turned out to be handed down junk.

I keep reading uniformed comments about race teams or races being "rested" till returning for 09. Nobody has money to keep the staff twiddling thumbs and the lights on waiting around till 2009 to see what happens. Once you close the doors, even if temporarily, people move on and you end up starting having to start anew.

I guess Forsythe is looking at ALMS now which is great. After being at Sebring this weekend, it's looks like a good place for champcar refugees.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 12:16 (Ref:2154611)   #23
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
To me it was an acquisition(and a weak one at that), not a merger.
That's what I have been telling for a long time, I'm happy you agree with me now

Quote:
There are a mass of disenfranchised people out there now and many wont be back.
Apart from you and some diehard cc fans, this mass is not that big; about (ex CC)team bosses, well if somebody give them the money to run a team in IRL they'll do without exitation

Quote:
I see no irony in that: I'd just call it "logical consequence", and I see nothing bad in it.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 12:23 (Ref:2154619)   #24
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Walker is a back marker? What planet have you been on for the past 10 years? They've won a hell of alot of races.

Walker are a big name, no doubt about it, but we have to admit that in the last 4-5 years they (like almost everyone different from N/H/L) were not frontrunners as thay used to be

Top respect to them though
Old 17 Mar 2008, 20:01 (Ref:2155008)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
Walker are a big name, no doubt about it, but we have to admit that in the last 4-5 years they (like almost everyone different from N/H/L) were not frontrunners as thay used to be

Top respect to them though
Really? Look at where they finished in the championship last year.