Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 31 Oct 2014, 01:12 (Ref:3470121)   #76
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post

One of the tidbits in there says that Flying Lizard may run the Kpax McLarens for Kpax next season.
Pruett talked about this on Midweek Motorsport yesterday, sounds like-if it's happening-it'll be in addition to their Audis. He also mentioned that if the Lizards run the cars, their name likely wouldn't appear on the cars.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 01:48 (Ref:3470127)   #77
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Not terribly impressed by Patrick Lindsey or Mr. Potters statements though.
Yes, everyone knows that criticism should be limited to forum jockeys rather than people with skin in the game.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 02:17 (Ref:3470131)   #78
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
Pruett talked about this on Midweek Motorsport yesterday, sounds like-if it's happening-it'll be in addition to their Audis. He also mentioned that if the Lizards run the cars, their name likely wouldn't appear on the cars.
I like the lizards as a team, so if they can run other people's equipment for them that only adds to their mystique in my mind. I wonder what happened at kpax that they are now looking for outside help though?
Old 31 Oct 2014, 02:54 (Ref:3470137)   #79
dmcga
Rookie

dmcga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I like the lizards as a team, so if they can run other people's equipment for them that only adds to their mystique in my mind. I wonder what happened at kpax that they are now looking for outside help though?

Also per Marshall on MWM, K-PAX has been partnered with 3R Racing for some time, with 3R Racing providing much of the operational support. With Jim Haughey moving his K-PAX operations to California from Colorado, it's not as ideal having the operational base three states away. (Potentially) teaming with Flying Lizards is about logistics, not about looking for additional outside help.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 02:58 (Ref:3470138)   #80
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
KPax was actually subcontracting with 3R racing from Colorado.

http://198.20.74.77/pwc/item/109465-...head-for-k-pax

Pruett mentioned on MWM that Jim Haughey, the owner of KPax, located in California, was looking to move the whole operation to that state, thus the talks with the Lizards.

Edit: Looks like the question was already answered!
Old 31 Oct 2014, 03:00 (Ref:3470139)   #81
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcga View Post
Also per Marshall on MWM, K-PAX has been partnered with 3R Racing for some time, with 3R Racing providing much of the operational support. With Jim Haughey moving his K-PAX operations to California from Colorado, it's not as ideal having the operational base three states away. (Potentially) teaming with Flying Lizards is about logistics, not about looking for additional outside help.
Quote:
KPax was actually subcontracting with 3R racing from Colorado.

http://198.20.74.77/pwc/item/109465-...head-for-k-pax

Pruett mentioned on MWM that Jim Haughey, the owner of KPax, located in California, was looking to move the whole operation to that state, thus the talks with the Lizards.

Edit: Looks like the question was already answered!
Thanks! I guess I need to listen to the podcast
Old 31 Oct 2014, 03:25 (Ref:3470145)   #82
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
Yes, everyone knows that criticism should be limited to forum jockeys rather than spoiled brats spending Daddy's money.
Fixed
Old 1 Nov 2014, 14:37 (Ref:3470524)   #83
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Another good one from Marshall Pruett:
http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...orld-challenge

One of the tidbits in there says that Flying Lizard may run the Kpax McLarens for Kpax next season.
Another nice bit of news that was almost lost in the article.
Quote:
"We put up a great show the last two races in IMSA; the rating was very big, even though GTD didn't get enough coverage in my opinion, but this was very good and ended the season with very impressive figures. I don't know if you will get these kinds of numbers elsewhere," added Scuderia Corsa team owner Giacomo Mattioli who will add a two-car PWC GT effort to complement his lone GTD entry next season.
Two Scuderia Corsa Ferrari's will be a great addition to the field.
Old 3 Nov 2014, 12:40 (Ref:3471160)   #84
MoraineSweep
Rookie

MoraineSweep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
However it is the quality of the cars, teams and drivers in World Challenge that has driven the growth of the series.
I attended both the IMSA and the PWC events at Road America this year. The PWC races were fantastic, while the IMSA "spectacle" was not very enjoyable for me.
I felt the same way. Went to PWC and TUDOR at Road America too and was absolutely enthralled by the PWC race. I was lucky to have gone on Friday so I saw the all green flag race, so I'm sure that added to my experience. However, the battle for the top spots in that race and the diversity of the GT3 machinery was awesome.

The TUDOR race and field just did not seem to excite me the same way. I'm sure over half of the race being under FCY didn't help, but I just didn't end the day feeling as happy with what I saw as I did after seeing PWC. Obviously there were elements I liked about the TUDOR race...size of field (50+ cars is never a bad thing), factory GTLM machinery, 600hp Chevy DPs with side pipes (TV doesn't do those justice), but I just enjoy it as much as a whole.
Old 3 Nov 2014, 18:32 (Ref:3471276)   #85
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Well, tickets are available-and they're a bargain! It's going to be awesome!

Let's show some support!

http://www.roadamerica.com/buy-ticke...challenge.html
Old 3 Nov 2014, 22:06 (Ref:3471357)   #86
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Detroit added to the schedule albeit for just GT(A), Cup and GTS won't be there. 2 races as usual.

This brings the total number of events for GT up to 11. GT Cup has 10 events scheduled right now, GTS 9 and the TC classes just 5 (but with 1 TBA - perhaps at New Jersey MSP with Trans-Am).

http://www.racer.com/pwc/item/110517...-2015-schedule

http://www.racer.com/pwc/item/109945...-2015-schedule

On 2 events (COTA and Miller) PWC will be joined by the Pirelli (Porsche) GT3 Cup Trophy USA (not the same as IMSA's GT3 Cup), see http://www.racer.com/component/flexi...y-usa-schedule
Old 3 Nov 2014, 23:22 (Ref:3471381)   #87
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
The Road to Indy series (Indy Lights, Pro Mazda and USF2000) will support PWC at their season finale at Laguna.

See http://www.usf2000.com/news/mazda-ro...ules-announced
Old 4 Nov 2014, 18:28 (Ref:3471579)   #88
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
More PWC news. Not sure how much this will affect us fans, but Julie Bentley worked for the ALMS and, on Twitter, journalists and PR people seem pretty happy for World Challenge. So, I guess this is good news!

http://http://www.world-challenge.co...15-season.html
Old 6 Nov 2014, 03:18 (Ref:3472105)   #89
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...very-for-2015/
I really liked last years livery, but this looks nice also.
Old 6 Nov 2014, 04:11 (Ref:3472117)   #90
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
More PWC news. Not sure how much this will affect us fans, but Julie Bentley worked for the ALMS and, on Twitter, journalists and PR people seem pretty happy for World Challenge. So, I guess this is good news!

http://www.world-challenge.com/news/...15-season.html
Hm. "Director of Partnership Relations". If there's one thing most ALMS fans would agree on, it's that the series was abysmally bad at cultivating partnerships and sponsorships, particularly in the latter years (and of course the famous missed opportunity for the Coca-Cola sponsorship, which I understand might be apocryphal). Let's hope this was more to ALMS upper management and that Julie Bentley can have a positive impact at WC.

Sorry to be such a downer, but *anything* related to the ALMS and marketing doesn't set off happy fireworks for me. We'll see I guess.

Last edited by rwintle; 6 Nov 2014 at 04:12. Reason: fixing link
Old 6 Nov 2014, 06:37 (Ref:3472137)   #91
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pirelli World Challenge ... presented by Yancy's Fancies.
Old 6 Nov 2014, 11:27 (Ref:3472193)   #92
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...very-for-2015/
I really liked last years livery, but this looks nice also.
Wonder why they do not sell the Kia Pro_cee'd GT in US?

Instead they race the family sedan version, strange
Old 6 Nov 2014, 19:21 (Ref:3472305)   #93
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I often wonder why the 'sedan' is so popular in the US. The Civics in Conti look ridiculous compared to the ones sold in the rest of the world, and I couldn't believe that they managed to find a 4-door version of the S3 to replace it with; I never knew such a thing existed.

Kia need to take that thing racing or rallying somewhere else in the world.
Old 6 Nov 2014, 22:15 (Ref:3472344)   #94
Coach Ep
Veteran

Scuderia Corsa expecting to field 2 full time entries and possibly 1 part time one (for the on 10/10s world famous Mike Hedlund ):

http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...li-wc-program/
Old 7 Nov 2014, 01:24 (Ref:3472384)   #95
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!!
Old 8 Nov 2014, 18:14 (Ref:3472872)   #96
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
Hm. "Director of Partnership Relations". If there's one thing most ALMS fans would agree on, it's that the series was abysmally bad at cultivating partnerships and sponsorships, particularly in the latter years (and of course the famous missed opportunity for the Coca-Cola sponsorship, which I understand might be apocryphal). Let's hope this was more to ALMS upper management and that Julie Bentley can have a positive impact at WC.

Sorry to be such a downer, but *anything* related to the ALMS and marketing doesn't set off happy fireworks for me. We'll see I guess.
Quote:

Fair enough, but, serious question: Was Yancey's Fancies actually bad for the ALMS? Probably not. (Was it good for the ALMS? ...Well, probably not.)

Second question: What do we actually know about the oft-mentioned Coke deal? I've never seen any of the specifics anywhere. It is very possible that Coke wasn't willing to pay-or promote-the series as much as was needed.
Also Coke has sponsored NHRA for a while now and it really hasn't helped them.

I posted the article because, a few weeks ago, concerns were voiced that PWC did not have enough people with high level sports car experience.
Well, there isn't get any higher level of sports car racing than the old ALMS, and 13 years is a lot of experience.

Seriously, World Challenge is really good. Give it a chance!

Last edited by Mechanic Z; 8 Nov 2014 at 18:21.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 18:17 (Ref:3472873)   #97
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
I often wonder why the 'sedan' is so popular in the US. The Civics in Conti look ridiculous compared to the ones sold in the rest of the world, and I couldn't believe that they managed to find a 4-door version of the S3 to replace it with; I never knew such a thing existed.

Kia need to take that thing racing or rallying somewhere else in the world.
Americans in general don't like hatchback cars.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 21:57 (Ref:3472914)   #98
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From what I hear, Coca-Cola was not considered to be sufficiently upscale for a series which wanted to market itself as being followed by people who actually drove Porsches and Audis and BMW and Astons and Vettes. Because obviously those people don't drink Coke, right?

And so the series got Mikimoto pearls or whatever. That sure helped.

At the time (circa 2004?) if Coke had offered a little too little, it would have been a lot more than anyone else was offering. It's old news; the series wants $7-10 million for the presenting sponsor, but the potential presenting sponsor wants to pay $3-5 million ...

The series is afraid to devalue itself ("If we take this offer we can never ask for $10 million") so the series gets no sponsor, and eventually goes bankrupt or nearly so. What was a presenting sponsorship worht in 2009 when Mikimoto signed on? In 2012 or whatever when Yancey's came on board?

Seems a good negotiator would have said "We'll take what you offer for a two-year deal and then we will have to renegotiate," counting on the series to work its butt off to pump itself up while it had a sponsorship budget, so that it had some extra bargaining power for round two.

Instead, ALMS had about zero advertising budget through its peak years, yet couldn't understand why people weren't finding out about the series. (Word of mouth is excellent for a restaurant or a mechanic; a national sports series needs a TV campaign.)

But from what I heard, it wasn't just money--it was Coke's everyman ad image. ALMS wanted to be Exclusive, not inclusive---so it excluded itself from the market and excluded its potential fan base from participating. The Racing Series of the Elite ... Like Porsche and Audi wouldn't have brought there cars to the track if Cocal-Cola sponsored the series.

It was an interesting ad strategy, one that had not been tried before in autosport ... sort of imitating golf. Thing is, millions upon millions of people play golf, or want to. Whoops.

The series should have been smart enough to realize A.) the reach out to the Rich strategy wasn't generating enough income to keep the series alive and B.) Even rich people might drink a Coke or a Budweiser now and then ... but the number of people who buy Mikimoto pearls and also love sports car racing ... it's a Venn diagram with a an infinitesimal overlap.

As for Yancey's Fancies ... Apparently they did about Nothing for ALMS, because the series dies shortly after the contract was signed. Negotiations to sell the series and sign a sponsor must have been simultaneous.

Point is, Yancey's Fancies was pointless. Something needed to be done back when the series was offering the absolute best sportscar racing on the planet---That was a worthy product. Maybe the staff had its hands tied by upper management and its "vision," or maybe they were all on board and just blew it.

Whatever ... I don't see where listing experience in any sort of front office position in the ALMS strengthens a resumé.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 22:21 (Ref:3472920)   #99
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Whatever ... I don't see where listing experience in any sort of front office position in the ALMS strengthens a resumé.
I'm sure there were plenty of missed opportunities. However, it would be extremely difficult to find a business (especially among small businesses) that has never made a wrong step.
Quote:
Also Coke has sponsored NHRA for a while now and it really hasn't helped them.
The "Mello Yellow American LeMans Series."
Has a nice ring to it. (or not).
Old 10 Nov 2014, 18:33 (Ref:3473473)   #100
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Quote:
From what I hear, Coca-Cola was not considered to be sufficiently upscale for a series which wanted to market itself as being followed by people who actually drove Porsches and Audis and BMW and Astons and Vettes. Because obviously those people don't drink Coke, right?

But from what I heard, it wasn't just money--it was Coke's everyman ad image. ALMS wanted to be Exclusive, not inclusive---so it excluded itself from the market and excluded its potential fan base from participating. The Racing Series of the Elite ... Like Porsche and Audi wouldn't have brought there cars to the track if Cocal-Cola sponsored the series.

The series should have been smart enough to realize A.) the reach out to the Rich strategy wasn't generating enough income to keep the series alive and B.) Even rich people might drink a Coke or a Budweiser now and then ... but the number of people who buy Mikimoto pearls and also love sports car racing ... it's a Venn diagram with a an infinitesimal overlap.
Not to be rude, but this still doesn't answer the question: What do we actually know about the Coke sponsorship rumor?

Quote:
I disagree. ALMS was awesome. In my book, anybody involved in the series deserves some credit for it.

But I guess we can agree to disagree.

Closer to topic, here's an article on some software updates that WC Vision is implementing:

http://www.world-challenge.com/news/...challenge.html

Last edited by Mechanic Z; 10 Nov 2014 at 18:40.