Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jul 2019, 16:25 (Ref:3916883)   #1
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2020 Silly Season

So I have started to see news reports and some discussions in various threads here about 2020 from the perspective of the drivers market and even what power units various teams might use. So I figured... why not kick off this 2020 thread.

Some specific topics that I have seen recently...

* Williams switching to Renault and McLaren switching to Mercedes (probably not likely)
* Max Verstappen's RBR escape clause and his potential move to Mercedes (I assume to replace Bottas?)
* Some talk about Vettel retiring at end of 2019 or more recently... moving back to RBR!!
* Supposed break in relationship between Alonso and McLaren (which both have denied) and now there is talk of Alonso going to RBR!

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/41036...2020-seat.html

Would Honda be OK with Alonso back in a Honda powered car? I believe it was said that Honda stopped Alonso from using Honda power at Indy this year. Do they even have a say in the matter when it comes to RBR driver selection?

Richard
Old 10 Jul 2019, 22:28 (Ref:3916927)   #2
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ex-Lotus CEO, Matthew Carter has Ocon locked in for Mercedes or so he says on the most recent Missed Apex podcast.
Old 11 Jul 2019, 06:41 (Ref:3916963)   #3
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

Would Honda be OK with Alonso back in a Honda powered car? I believe it was said that Honda stopped Alonso from using Honda power at Indy this year. Do they even have a say in the matter when it comes to RBR driver selection?

Richard
Marko also said they don't want Alonso and Honda wouldn't want it anyway.

also: it was Alonso that contacted Red Bull, not Red Bull that contacted Alonso
Old 11 Jul 2019, 10:12 (Ref:3916981)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
McLaren have confirmed Norris and Sainz for 2020.

There has been talk of Ocon being released from his Mercedes contract so he can find a drive elsewhere (the Mercedes link potentially stopped him getting a drive for this year). Interestingly Ocon is being linked with Renault - with either Hulkenberg being ditched or Ricciardo leaving depending on which story you read. The Ricciardo move apparently would be to Ferrari if Vettel retires at the end of the year - so judge for yourself how likely you think that one is!

Williams have extended their sponsorship deal with Rokit - so at least some good news for Williams!
Old 15 Jul 2019, 13:43 (Ref:3917834)   #5
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(part wishing part expecting)

Mercedes
- Hamilton
- Bottas

Ferrari
- Leclerc
- Ricciardo

Red Bull
- Verstappen
- Gasly

McLaren
- Sainz
- Norris

Renault
- Ocon
- Hulkenberg

Sauber
- Raikkonen
- Giovinazzi

Racing Point
- Perez
- Stroll

Haas:
- Magnussen
- ?, Vergne?

Torro Rosso
- Kvyat
- Albon

Williams:
- Russell
- de Vries

For 2021 I could imagine Norris going to Mercedes if he keeps improving.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 8 Sep 2019, 21:02 (Ref:3926744)   #6
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
(part wishing part expecting)

Mercedes
- Hamilton
- Bottas

Ferrari
- Leclerc
- Ricciardo

Red Bull
- Verstappen
- Gasly

McLaren
- Sainz
- Norris

Renault
- Ocon
- Hulkenberg

Sauber
- Raikkonen
- Giovinazzi

Racing Point
- Perez
- Stroll

Haas:
- Magnussen
- ?, Vergne?

Torro Rosso
- Kvyat
- Albon

Williams:
- Russell
- de Vries

For 2021 I could imagine Norris going to Mercedes if he keeps improving.

Updated based on recent events:

Mercedes
- Hamilton
- Bottas

Ferrari
- Leclerc
- Ricciardo

Red Bull
- Verstappen
- Vettel

McLaren
- Sainz
- Norris

Renault
- Ocon
- Gasly

Sauber
- Raikkonen
- Giovinazzi

Racing Point
- Perez
- Stroll

Haas:
- Magnussen
- Hulkenberg

Torro Rosso
- Kvyat
- Albon

Williams:
- Russell
- de Vries

That would be one hack of a line-up for the three top-teams. Fireworks guaranteed.

Red Bull needs a strong driver next to Verstappen to have more tactical options in races and to gather constructors points. I don't think Red Bull will find either Gasly, Albon or Kvyat good enough. Vettel is a Red Bull guy after all and I don't see him getting any happier at Ferrari. One plus one makes..... even if it will be a great pain to leave the Scuderia.

Last edited by Taxi645; 8 Sep 2019 at 21:08.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 20:17 (Ref:3927231)   #7
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Updated based on recent events:

Mercedes
- Hamilton
- Bottas

Ferrari
- Leclerc
- Ricciardo

Red Bull
- Verstappen
- Vettel

McLaren
- Sainz
- Norris

Renault
- Ocon
- Gasly

Sauber
- Raikkonen
- Giovinazzi

Racing Point
- Perez
- Stroll

Haas:
- Magnussen
- Hulkenberg

Torro Rosso
- Kvyat
- Albon

Williams:
- Russell
- de Vries

De Vries does not have any big sponsorship and Williams need money: so that will probably be Latifi, and Vettel to Red Bull while Max is there won't happen either, Vettel also can't handle the pressure of beeing in one team with Leclerc at the moment.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 13:54 (Ref:3917836)   #8
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Everything hinges on Vettel. If Vettel does next season in Ferrari, then I can see no moves in the top 3 teams.

If Vettel quits, then Ferrari might have to get their cheque book out, and entice Ricciardo. But why should they not aim for Verstappen instead?

Do we think that Alonso definitely will not come back to F1? It's hard to see a space for him at anything better than a midfield team, which I guess is the main reason to doubt that he will get a driver next year. How about at Renault instead of Hulk'? That might work?

If I were running Haas, I would definitely be looking for 1 or possibly even 2 new drivers next season. Ocon? Perez? Hulkenburg?
Old 15 Jul 2019, 14:02 (Ref:3917838)   #9
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Everything hinges on Vettel. If Vettel does next season in Ferrari, then I can see no moves in the top 3 teams.

If Vettel quits, then Ferrari might have to get their cheque book out, and entice Ricciardo. But why should they not aim for Verstappen instead?
They can aim for Verstappen, but I reckon they won't get him.

1 Ferrari is probably not better than RB 2020.
2 He can't claim No1 status as Leclerc is too good.

If Verstappen is moving, it would be to Mercedes, but I'm quite sure he will give Red Bull/Honda 2020 to proof that they can really be there from the start of the season.

Quote:
Do we think that Alonso definitely will not come back to F1? It's hard to see a space for him at anything better than a midfield team, which I guess is the main reason to doubt that he will get a driver next year. How about at Renault instead of Hulk'? That might work?

If I were running Haas, I would definitely be looking for 1 or possibly even 2 new drivers next season. Ocon? Perez? Hulkenburg?

If Alonso would be up for it, Haas would take him I guess (if he doesn't demand an outrages salary that is).
Old 15 Jul 2019, 14:13 (Ref:3917844)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We only have Norris and Sainz confirmed. Who goes where elsewhere in 2020 is anybody’s guess. Vettel has a big question mark, which I think will be key. As will what Bottas does
Old 15 Jul 2019, 14:29 (Ref:3917847)   #11
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
If Vettel quits, then Ferrari might have to get their cheque book out, and entice Ricciardo....
i could see SV walking away from the sport all together...he doesnt need the aggravation and media attention that comes with driving a Ferrari poorly.

if he does walk, then i could see something like Ric to Ferrari, Alonso to Renault, and Max and Gasly staying at RB.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 15:02 (Ref:3917854)   #12
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
We only have Norris and Sainz confirmed. Who goes where elsewhere in 2020 is anybody’s guess. Vettel has a big question mark, which I think will be key. As will what Bottas does
Mercedes were quite public when Hamilton signed an extension.

Lewis Hamilton: Mercedes driver agrees £40m-a-year deal until 2020

What constitutes a confirmation of entry?
Drivers with a contract in place for 2020 are:

Alfa Romeo Racing-Kimi Räikkönen
Ferrari-Sebastian Vettel
Ferrari-Charles Leclerc
Haas-Kevin Magnussen
McLaren-Lando Norris
McLaren-Carlos Sainz Jr.
Mercedes-Lewis Hamilton
Red Bull Racing-Max Verstappen
Renault-Daniel Ricciardo
Williams-George Russell

The official F1 Site: DRIVER MARKET: How is the 2020 grid shaping up?
Old 15 Jul 2019, 22:01 (Ref:3917939)   #13
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Vettel has a big question mark, which I think will be key. As will what Bottas does
I think those 2 are indeed key, but for Bottas: it doesn't depend on what Bottas does, is depends on what Mercedes decides.

I can't see Verstappen go to Ferrari. Staying at Red Bull for 2020 is no worse option, and he can still see what happens for 2021. I think he targets Hamilton's seat (for 2021 or beyond)

I understand why EJ said Hamilton would go to Ferrari in that case. Verstappen-Hamilton just won't work (*), and the chance of winning in a Ferrari is something only few can resist.

(*) I didn't think EJ meant that Hamilton would be afraid of Verstappen, just that it would not work. Think Hamilton-Rosberg, just maybe worse.

On the other hand, I can't see Verstappen-Vettel at Mercedes either. Mercedes has not need for Vettel, unless he dramatically improves in 2020, in which case he has no need to leave Ferrari and they have no need to let him go.
If Mercedes needs someone to partner Verstappen, I think they would go for Ocon or Russell anyway. Why raise young drivers if you're not going to use them?

Ricciardo to Ferrari? Maybe. If Vettel leaves or has to leave, what choice do they have? Verstappen won't do it I think and will probably be too expensive anyway (especially if they have to buy out Vettel's contract). They have a few youngsters but none of them are ready or have enough SuperLicense points.
That leaves Ricciardo, Alonso, Bottas (?) (but why take him if he is dropped by Mercedes)
Old 17 Jul 2019, 15:49 (Ref:3918195)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hamilton will never be a Ferrari signing, his driving style is their cup of tea but his out of the car stuff certainly isn't.

I've heard on the vine that Grosjean is definitely out, KMag is staying.

Seems to me Gasly has to keep up his Silverstone form for the rest of the year or he's out. If Albon keeps improving, he might get the gig.

Whilst i'd love to see Alonso back, Renault would be wise to keep the current line up unless they are absolutely sure they can sign someone who is guaranteed to do better than Hulk. Don't think there's very many who could that would be either available or affordable.

If Vettel does the right thing and puts his career out of its misery, Ferrari may need to put someone like Hulk in as a 1-2 year stop gap until they can get who they want.
Old 17 Jul 2019, 18:19 (Ref:3918215)   #15
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
I made a list of Vettel mishap in wheel to wheel through the last few seasons:

June 2017 Bakuh (Vettel Hamilton incident)
Sept 2017 Singapore (Vettel, Verstappen, Raikkonen incident)
Oct 2017 Mexico (Verstappen vs Vettel, drives his front wing off at T2)

Jun 2018 France (Hits Bottas at T1)
Jul 2018 Germany (goes off in the wet)
Sept 2018 Monza (spun after contact with Hamilton)
Oct 2018 Japan (drives into Verstappen who’s ahead)
Oct 2018 COTA (runs into Ricciardo who’s ahead)

Mar 2019 Bahrein (goes on the throttle too early in fight with Hamilton)
Jun 2019 (misses braking point, cut’s chicane and gets penalty)
Juli 2019 Silverstone (Rams Verstappen off the track)

I'm not sure how he's gonna turn it around. What would change? As others have said, I like the guy off the track. However it's reaching a point that same input will give the same output.
Old 8 Sep 2019, 15:26 (Ref:3926680)   #16
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
I made a list of Vettel mishap in wheel to wheel through the last few seasons:

I'm not sure how he's gonna turn it around. What would change? As others have said, I like the guy off the track. However it's reaching a point that same input will give the same output.

Sep 2019 Spins at Ascari
Sep 2019 Comes dangerously back on track at Ascari

The larger the pressure the....
Old 15 Jul 2019, 14:36 (Ref:3917848)   #17
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Haas must surely ditch Grosjean, they've got Fittipaldi who they could plug in as a replacement. Magnussen you'd have thought would get another year.

Basically if Vettel quits then there could be a huge upheaval - otherwise it's another year of tinkering around the edges isn't it? The 'available' seats are probably:

1 Haas (Grosjean out - Fittipaldi in?)
1 Williams (Kubica out)

Last edited by BertMk2; 15 Jul 2019 at 14:40. Reason: Appears Red Bull have ditched Ticktum - missed that - so he won't be getting a Torro Rosso seat!
Old 15 Jul 2019, 14:47 (Ref:3917851)   #18
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Haas must surely ditch Grosjean, they've got Fittipaldi who they could plug in as a replacement. Magnussen you'd have thought would get another year.
Grosjean makes a lot of errors for sure but i think both may need to go imo.

circumstances also play a part, not necessarily their own fault, but this is a team that desperately needs to change the narrative surrounding it...replacing RG with immediate effect might do the trick (but then i suppose they would be the one breaking a contract).

also, it is hard to tell as a spectator, but does Mags have a bad attitude, not a team player, or something?
Old 15 Jul 2019, 15:09 (Ref:3917856)   #19
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i could see SV walking away from the sport all together...he doesnt need the aggravation and media attention that comes with driving a Ferrari poorly.

Nor of lingering on in a lesser team. I don't think he has the same feel for F1 as Raikkonen.

On Bottas at Mercedes. Mercedes can talk all they want about Bottas his form. However as long as Hamilton is around they are perfectly happy with a driver like Bottas. What is more to want, he does bring in a decent load of points, yet doesn't risk Lewis' championship nor does he take unnecessary risks with both cars on track. In my eyes it's all bullshit.
Old 21 Jul 2019, 13:31 (Ref:3918726)   #20
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nor of lingering on in a lesser team. I don't think he has the same feel for F1 as Raikkonen.

On Bottas at Mercedes. Mercedes can talk all they want about Bottas his form. However as long as Hamilton is around they are perfectly happy with a driver like Bottas. What is more to want, he does bring in a decent load of points, yet doesn't risk Lewis' championship nor does he take unnecessary risks with both cars on track. In my eyes it's all bullshit.
I think the biggest reason for Bottas to stay and perhaps for as long as Hamilton stays is harmony within the team and no primma donna fighting between the two drivers as there would be if say Verstappen is given the gig. Toto is a a gifted manager who knows exactly what a peaceful team means for morale and he won't disturb it if it can be avoided. Bottas does exactly what is expected of him by the team but some fans don't see it that way.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 14:39 (Ref:3917850)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hasn’t Ticktum been dumped by Red Bull though? I don’t think his future prospects look good, especially as he lost his Super Formula seat
Old 15 Jul 2019, 14:49 (Ref:3917852)   #22
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Hasn’t Ticktum been dumped by Red Bull though? I don’t think his future prospects look good, especially as he lost his Super Formula seat
Yep - saw that just after I posted - I did edit before I saw your reply

Seems it all went wrong for Ticktum - he was short on superlicence points otherwise it would most likely be him and not Albon in the Torro Rosso this year.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 15:13 (Ref:3917857)   #23
S griffin
Veteran

I think Vettel doesn’t really feel he needs to achieve much more in the sport. He’s got his four titles after all
Old 15 Jul 2019, 15:23 (Ref:3917859)   #24
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Good old Eddie Jordan was back on Channel 4 for the Grand Prix this weekend. His prediction (albeit for 2021) was Vettel & Verstappen at Mercedes & Hamilton to Ferrari ('to finish his Formula 1 career')!
Old 18 Jul 2019, 11:51 (Ref:3918334)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

It seems people will remember him more for the mistakes in later years than his four world titles at this rate. It seems he doesn't have the mental approach to turn things around