Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 6 Jul 2019, 04:34 (Ref:3916082)   #1251
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
This is why bop is so despised. They should just do success ballast like Super GT imo. At least you know what you get and why.
Old 7 Jul 2019, 07:17 (Ref:3916262)   #1252
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
With rumors now being that teams may be dumping the Audi R8 in GTD, does it seem that Audi Sport are focusing on VLN and SRO series outside of North America? Or are they content with Lamborghini taking over in NA/IMSA? After all, Lamborghini within Volkswagen Group is under Audi's sphere of influence.
Old 8 Jul 2019, 23:56 (Ref:3916609)   #1253
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Possibly Audi has made enough money on the existing R8 and doesn't want to spend a ton of money upgrading it when it also has the Huracan in its stable (as Chernaudi notes)and that chassis is selling/renting well as a customer car.
Old 9 Jul 2019, 02:05 (Ref:3916614)   #1254
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Maybe the bop just doesn't work well right now or the teams using it aren't the best. There's plenty of reasons besides Audi giving up on it.
Old 9 Jul 2019, 02:23 (Ref:3916616)   #1255
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Plus the team who parked their car for a couple rounds did NOT park for Audi reasons but rather a problem with THAT ONE CAR. There seems to be a lot of conjecture trying to ignore exactly what the team and drivers have said in hopes of making something. The Starworks car has been done against all the other R8s on top speed and they've said multiple times that Audi is working with them to solve the problem. Doesn't sound like Audi not helping them but the other way around. Other R8 runners have had decent runs on track so what problems does everyone think is the lack of Audi support again?
Old 9 Jul 2019, 03:05 (Ref:3916618)   #1256
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry if there is some confusion here ... Some people seem to think this discussion is about Starworks pulling out for a couple races while uit figures out its Audi ... while others are discussing reports that Audi as a factory will be pulling out of GTD/GT3 in general. Probably people ought to keep the discussions separate ... at least in their own thinking.
Old 9 Jul 2019, 03:39 (Ref:3916619)   #1257
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Well, PMR and Magnus switched from Audi to Lamborghini, and it seems that Audi have gotten the short end of the stick in IMSA as far as BOP vs the Lambo, especially top speed.

That and in NA right now it seems that Audi Sport are more focused on TCR and GT4 than GTD, which is the only major place that the R8 GT3 races in NA vs various SRO-supported or GT3-based series in Europe and Asia/Oceana. Also as mentioned, Audi do own Lamborghini
Old 9 Jul 2019, 11:21 (Ref:3916675)   #1258
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Sorry if there is some confusion here ... Some people seem to think this discussion is about Starworks pulling out for a couple races while uit figures out its Audi ... while others are discussing reports that Audi as a factory will be pulling out of GTD/GT3 in general. Probably people ought to keep the discussions separate ... at least in their own thinking.
Where has this been reported?? I've looked and have only seen that in comments on posting NOT from an actual informed reporter. But I guess that whole source thing everyone wanted to be pretentious about earlier this season is only applicable when it suits. I have on the other hand seen multiple reports that have said nothing but Audi supporting the teams and assisting them in any way needed. But I guess that's fake news.
Old 9 Jul 2019, 12:59 (Ref:3916685)   #1259
Maelochs
Veteran

I believe there have been reports that a certain team was planning to leave GTD .... many speculated it was Audi.
Old 11 Jul 2019, 00:12 (Ref:3916935)   #1260
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
21 cars for the all GT Lime Rock race. Happy as long as we can keep that number at 20 or above. But no Audis again. As their slow disappearance from the Weathertech series continues.

Anybody else besides me get real excited for the all GT races? Lime Rock and VIR, with a Spa 24 in between. One of the best times of the year for fans of GT racing specifically. Always have preferred GT cars over Protos since I got into sportscars in the early 1990s.
Old 11 Jul 2019, 01:52 (Ref:3916945)   #1261
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
21 cars for the all GT Lime Rock race. Happy as long as we can keep that number at 20 or above. But no Audis again. As their slow disappearance from the Weathertech series continues.

Anybody else besides me get real excited for the all GT races? Lime Rock and VIR, with a Spa 24 in between. One of the best times of the year for fans of GT racing specifically. Always have preferred GT cars over Protos since I got into sportscars in the early 1990s.
I don't prefer it but I do enjoy these two races. Mostly because the tracks are fantastic and the racing is good. 20 cars is a bit thin but I think it will work out vir could handle prototypes as well but it is just not in the budget schedule for the series
Old 11 Jul 2019, 05:49 (Ref:3916959)   #1262
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I'm wondering what they'll do next year about the GT-only events, with GTLM down to six cars and GTD looking more likely to lose than to gain cars in the offseason as well.

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (5) mit Tapatalk
Old 11 Jul 2019, 11:16 (Ref:3916993)   #1263
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I'm wondering what they'll do next year about the GT-only events, with GTLM down to six cars and GTD looking more likely to lose than to gain cars in the offseason as well.

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (5) mit Tapatalk
If McLaren steps up for the full season I think we could see a couple there to maybe offset the losses from this season but for Lime Rock fewer is better honestly. There were a few absolutely dull processional races in ALMS with terrible dive bomb attempts to get by. Qualifying was often MUCH better than the race. VIR though could use the DPis as well on track
Old 11 Jul 2019, 14:42 (Ref:3917020)   #1264
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
If McLaren steps up for the full season I think we could see a couple there to maybe offset the losses from this season but for Lime Rock fewer is better honestly. There were a few absolutely dull processional races in ALMS with terrible dive bomb attempts to get by. Qualifying was often MUCH better than the race. VIR though could use the DPis as well on track
VIR is well established as being an all GT race since 2014 now. The teams love the all GT format as well. I think they will not allow IMSA to bring protos back to VIR. I'm on their side for that one too. There should be at least 2 all GT races. Laguna Seca as a track would work for all GT. In the past that event has had P/GTLM only, which produced great races. The issue with Lagua is that is in the west coast. Could see GTD being dropped there one day if the future if traveling costs need to be saved.

So yeah I guess 2020 scheduling speculation can start :-)

The S365 notebooks hints at no "significant" changes, which tells me tracks and dates will remain. But other things like class structures, sprint cup, will Daytona or Detroit be non-points, etc is up for discussion still.
Old 11 Jul 2019, 15:21 (Ref:3917023)   #1265
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
From an SC365 article on the future program(s?) of Riley and Ben Keating:

Quote:
Riley admitted the challenging driver market in GTD, noting the length of the eleven-round season has been a stumbling block for many gentlemen drivers looking to enter the championship.

“I think it’s a tough environment for a gentleman driver to come over here because it’s too many races,” he said.

“That’s the problem. It’s too much like a job for these guys that are working their normal deal. That’s one of the biggest problems Ben has; there’s just too many races.”
In the light of these comments, I don't think making more races GT-only is a good idea. Rather, IMSA should try to shorten the schedule for GTD by having prototype-only rounds (Bring in the LMP3s from IPC for that!) or even by combining GTLM and MPC-GT4 for a round.
Old 11 Jul 2019, 22:00 (Ref:3917069)   #1266
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
From an SC365 article on the future program(s?) of Riley and Ben Keating:

In the light of these comments, I don't think making more races GT-only is a good idea. Rather, IMSA should try to shorten the schedule for GTD by having prototype-only rounds (Bring in the LMP3s from IPC for that!) or even by combining GTLM and MPC-GT4 for a round.

Nah, keep VIR and Lime Rock the way they are. GTLM should get to have the overall victory at least 2 times. Prototype only round is fine too. One of the few things IMSA has not tried yet since the unified series started. Detroit is perfect for that.

GTD sprint cup can go away. It was worthy try but did not attract enough interest. I suggest IMSA either do one of these two ideas (not both) 1)Make Daytona GTD non points or 2)Laguna Seca Prototype/GTLM only
Old 17 Jul 2019, 22:29 (Ref:3918244)   #1267
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
As much as IMSA is often the target of usually well earned criticism I think this time they've learned and made the right call. Magnus racing has a new weekend livery to celebrate Apollo 11 this weekend, and IMSA let them change number and number plate, and mirror & wing endplate, color to black to stick with the scheme.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/m...ime-rock-park/

And remember, tomorrow is Corvette C8 day in NYC. Not sure if it's just street car or street and race unveiling.
Old 17 Jul 2019, 22:40 (Ref:3918247)   #1268
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Very cool initiative with the Magnus livery. I like how the USA on the side is oriented like the car is on the launch pad.
Old 18 Jul 2019, 07:29 (Ref:3918294)   #1269
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is sooooooo cool.
Old 18 Jul 2019, 17:05 (Ref:3918374)   #1270
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Very cool initiative with the Magnus livery. I like how the USA on the side is oriented like the car is on the launch pad.
Yes agree. IMSA hope you are watching. I think we won't need the mirrors and wing plates to be green on every car. In WEC its just the number panel that is colored and it works just fine.
Old 18 Jul 2019, 19:42 (Ref:3918389)   #1271
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Man GM is trying to erase the East Coast bias single handedly, the unveil isn't until 8 pm PDT. Don't think I'll be up for that and have to catch it in the morning.
Old 19 Jul 2019, 03:59 (Ref:3918417)   #1272
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
New C8 for 2020 looks insane and a bit Corvette but a bit astray from the classic look. The Z51 track pack appears to be a beast, 495 hp and 470 ft/lbs with a 0-60 of under 3 seconds. No pricing announced, supposed to start under 60k, and will be right hand drive available, and no, sadly the race car was not on stage. And the boss didn't bin the car driving this time to bring the car on stage.
Old 19 Jul 2019, 06:55 (Ref:3918424)   #1273
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hope it sounds the same as the previous C7.
Old 19 Jul 2019, 12:29 (Ref:3918467)   #1274
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I hope it sounds the same as the previous C7.
No mention was made of a turbo Vette at unveil, they showed off the new LT2 6.2L V8 car. It does have the modern "feature" of adjustable exhaust note in the dash menu but I would guess that would be tossed from the GTE/LM version as step 1. I have not seen anything turbo related but it seems like everyone thinks the GTE/LM version will be.
Old 19 Jul 2019, 15:16 (Ref:3918484)   #1275
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Based on what testing video exists, I'd say that the car was at least tested with a 4.0 flat crank turbo V8. That spec may or may not change when the C8R is shown to the public.