Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Feb 2021, 13:52 (Ref:4032797)   #2651
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
I must admit to being so pleased to get the parts,I wasn't overly concerned about working out the vat.
Only made the post to give an idea on what can be expected now when dealing with the Island.

Sure - just seems that a number of people seem to be taking advantage of Brexit to do some unjustifiable price-gouging......
Old 1 Feb 2021, 15:41 (Ref:4032827)   #2652
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Sure - just seems that a number of people seem to be taking advantage of Brexit to do some unjustifiable price-gouging......

Not sure it's just Brexit.

One of the odd factors of the pandemic - for some but not all - is the accumulated spending power when money keeps arriving and most of the usual options for spending over and above basic necessities.

For example I have heard that the sales of Porsches have been going well and hear reports that ultra cheap cars ($300) are not to be found in the USA because stimulus cheques have allowed people to budget $1000. And the rest of the market has eased up accordingly.

Once this has been observed for a while it seems very likely that the effects will extend to wider markets. But as prices for all sort of things seep upwards - PayG mobile phone pricing for example - it is almost certain that all areas of the economy will either need to adjust their operations to cover extra costs or simply see an opportunity to do so.

Whether the increase sticks or not depends on other factors. Once the Govts have started to take their bites and the real world of commerce becomes visible after the "lockdown" ends (that may be a while yet) we will have a better understanding of that has changed. And whether or not that change was unavoidable or blatant gouging.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 07:37 (Ref:4032945)   #2653
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The content of the article doesn't matter. This is just the best ever headline on The Times web site.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 2 Feb 2021, 12:05 (Ref:4032983)   #2654
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I did suspect when I read that this morning that somewhere a sub-editor had sat back with a satisfied sigh, muttering -"beat that, suckers"
Old 13 Oct 2021, 06:05 (Ref:4078282)   #2655
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Holy thread resurrection Batman.

A question please for the preparers of this community. I realise the hobby driver has no problem with taking cars on the continent, but what about commercially? I want to go testing in Spain early next year and there's no way I would get away with a Sprinter full of karts and awnings as "private cars". How has anyone managed with a team of formula cars?

A secondary question: has karting been the only section of the sport affected by shortages? We've struggled to get basics like axles, and tyres for at least two of the classes are on zero supply in the UK although fine in Europe. Any other repercussions in the sport?

Old 14 Oct 2021, 09:26 (Ref:4078401)   #2656
Will Nuthall
Racer

Will Nuthall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Holy thread resurrection Batman.

A question please for the preparers of this community. I realise the hobby driver has no problem with taking cars on the continent, but what about commercially? I want to go testing in Spain early next year and there's no way I would get away with a Sprinter full of karts and awnings as "private cars". How has anyone managed with a team of formula cars?

A secondary question: has karting been the only section of the sport affected by shortages? We've struggled to get basics like axles, and tyres for at least two of the classes are on zero supply in the UK although fine in Europe. Any other repercussions in the sport?

Get an ATA carnet for the karts, awnings, tools and parts etc.
Bit of hassle but a 2month one - if you value everything less than £30k (for example) - isn't going to cost anymore than £500 total.
Old 14 Oct 2021, 09:41 (Ref:4078402)   #2657
midgetman
Veteran

Thank you Will, does it take long to do?

Old 14 Oct 2021, 09:52 (Ref:4078403)   #2658
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That's nice, hope you get the parts you need in good time. I am sure it shouldn't be too much of a problem at this time
Old 14 Oct 2021, 11:04 (Ref:4078417)   #2659
Will Nuthall
Racer

Will Nuthall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thank you Will, does it take long to do?

When you've got a login/been accepted on https://www.ecert.sgs.com/uk/ and then "Create a new e-z Consign account for export documents and customs services" (you have to sign a couple of sheets and email them over for the second part)
Select - Birmingham Chamber of Commerce

Then if you have list + weights/values and complete documents online before 12.00 you will receive next day.
Old 13 Dec 2021, 12:36 (Ref:4089218)   #2660
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that the carnet conundrum "may" have resolved itself (watch this space) I'll just chuck this in here and duck back behind the hire & reward grey area parapet:

New laws requiring firms to obtain operator licences if they undertake international work with vehicles less than 3.5-tonnes could be the start of a licensing regime for all UK vans, according to transport lawyers.

From 21 May 2022 vans with a maximum authorised mass of over 2.5-tonnes and up to 3.5-tonnes that are transporting goods for hire and reward internationally, will be subject to the O-licensing system. Operators will need to be able to show they have enough finance to maintain their vehicles and also have a transport manager in place.

Source: Commercial Motor
Old 13 Dec 2021, 17:46 (Ref:4089342)   #2661
midgetman
Veteran

Oh. Bloody. Marvellous.

OTOH it may drive down the price of Sprinters.

Old 13 Dec 2021, 19:31 (Ref:4089388)   #2662
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It may drive down the price of Sprinters.
depends on the version. Seems they make a difference when the driver's space is separated from freight's one. Try and pretend yours is a minibus and passengers' names are Mr and Ms Karting.
Old 13 Dec 2021, 19:47 (Ref:4089392)   #2663
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
My mate Jean Marc just reports his adventures bringing his Jag' to Denis Welch Motorsport driving from Paris. He turned on the "more hassle but no worry" mode and went for an ATA carnet. And all started… Towing and open trailer with his Range R, he's been asked to put the whole on an open train wagon. This type allowing no passenger, he was then asked to take a bus… Then Ashford direct! What used to take one hour took five but € 1500 later the E Type landed safely…
Old 13 Dec 2021, 19:51 (Ref:4089396)   #2664
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
He just added that the potential fines are more than dissuasive if you get caught. So for Mr Average, ATM, a carnet is worth.
Old 14 Dec 2021, 07:38 (Ref:4089501)   #2665
midgetman
Veteran

TBH with Carnets, Operator Licences for vans and Covid restrictions, I've knocked any plans for Euro karting firmly on the head. Not worth the hassle for the return.

Old 14 Dec 2021, 07:41 (Ref:4089502)   #2666
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
depends on the version. Seems they make a difference when the driver's space is separated from freight's one. Try and pretend yours is a minibus and passengers' names are Mr and Ms Karting.
Perfect! I'm sure I've got some old deckchairs somewhere that we can screw into the floor

Old 14 Dec 2021, 12:30 (Ref:4089570)   #2667
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Perfect! I'm sure I've got some old deckchairs somewhere that we can screw into the floor
Wise man you are! Time must be allowded for all this mess -and many others too!- and mesures to be changed, canceled, forgotten whatever!