Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 21 Jun 2019, 01:51 (Ref:3913217)   #1951
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But how did the gap between the winning Toyota and the highest finishing hybrid grow I hear you cry.

It was pretty stready. Although there were some interesting period were it was flatter and at the end a decent indication that SMP were easing off to protect the podium position as they weren't under threat.
Attached Thumbnails
8 11.png  
Old 21 Jun 2019, 01:56 (Ref:3913218)   #1952
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Which segways into how did the battle between the top 2 non-hybrid finishers go?
Attached Thumbnails
1 11.png  
Old 21 Jun 2019, 15:13 (Ref:3913336)   #1953
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Just started a youtube channel with part 1 of a Le Mans race review. Got a couple other vidoes up too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BnipnSOu_k
Old 22 Jun 2019, 09:19 (Ref:3913438)   #1954
Turbodcc
Rookie

Turbodcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loved the race. Toyota aside I think SMP did really well, quite impressive after a long season of development. Their engine too.

Rebellion very unlucky, would loved to have seen what they may have done with the extra power supposed to have been in their updated engines from Gibson. Not sure how this fits in the EoT though???

As for the GT race, should have been epic, thanks ACO for wading in on Aston, love how the balancing basically pushed them out of the race, completely....
Old 24 Jun 2019, 07:08 (Ref:3913846)   #1955
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
I really don't see how Aston Martin was going to be in contention either way. They didn't go a lap down just from -0.03 PBoost and the #97 was never fast. People need to stop using it as an excuse.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 07:23 (Ref:3913848)   #1956
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
According to those in the know the late change created an inability to re balance the car and thus it chewed it's tyres within a couple of laps. Apparently driving it was quite challenging. I believe fuel flow was also reduced.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 13:28 (Ref:3913934)   #1957
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Nope, only turbocharger boost and -5kg of ballast. GTE doesn't use fuel flow for BOP like LMP1 does.

Maybe this is an indictment that the ACO shouldn't make sudden BOP changes during the race week for LM, and maybe adopt the auto BOP system that they use in the other WEC races.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 13:34 (Ref:3913936)   #1958
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fair enough. But Im informed that there were some glum faces in the Aston Martin hospitality area on Saturday evening. The timing for the changes was, I suspect the main problem.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 14:34 (Ref:3913948)   #1959
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
You do have to remember that the ADAC for VLN, especially the N24, and maybe IMSA do make similar changes. Doesn't mean that I like it or favor it. In fact, I'm in general in favor of making minimal changes, and the ACO/FIA had plenty of opportunity to get data from the LM test day.

I personally think that the change to the Aston may've been a knee-jerk reaction to one car getting a decent lap. The #97 was apparently capable of starting further up the grid than it did. And in fairness, if you have just about everyone in the top 10 within a few tenths of a second, isn't that a sign that you do already have the BOP in a pretty good spot?
Old 24 Jun 2019, 14:40 (Ref:3913950)   #1960
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed but the difference in performance between Qualifying and the race was pretty dramatic. We could have had five manufacturers slugging it out instead of the four we got.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 21:05 (Ref:3914018)   #1961
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
I really don't see how losing 5kg could mess up the car that bad. That's like changing drivers in terms of overall weight, and if you're depending on 11lbs of ballast at the extreme end of the car to make it work you either don't take it out or accept there's something seriously wrong with your car.

The constant up to the last minute BoP changes are something that was demanded by the manufacturers (god knows the organizers would rather not have to deal with this crap) so you can't really cry for them when it bites them.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 21:22 (Ref:3914022)   #1962
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Indeed but the difference in performance between Qualifying and the race was pretty dramatic.
What I have read since suggested that the Astons were chewing up their tires earlier in their stints, a problem which would not have been apparent in qualifying and which it is hard to ascribe to the relatively small BoP changes.
Old 25 Jun 2019, 03:08 (Ref:3914043)   #1963
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hard to ascribe or not, the fact is these problems did not appear in testing or as you say, qualifying.
Old 26 Jun 2019, 08:19 (Ref:3914239)   #1964
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Barely bothered with the camera this year, as there are so few spots to take pictures from now. Two of my fave LMP cars (neither of which finished!)...

...and the car I was rooting for (which also didn't podium!)

Handful more photos here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/229616...57709258171597

If anyone is interested.
Old 27 Jun 2019, 21:33 (Ref:3914503)   #1965
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Barely bothered with the camera this year, as there are so few spots to take pictures from now.
Now? It's been the case for quite a few years.

But you still have:-

T34
The inside of the small area at the bottom of the Esses
Tertre Rouge (as you know.... )
The bank at Indianapolis
Ford Chicane (particularly if you have a good lens wide open)
Old 28 Jun 2019, 06:50 (Ref:3914554)   #1966
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
We got access to outside of Porsche Curves (in) and the Maison Blanche Terrace. Likewise there were people spectating from the roof of the karting pits.
Old 28 Jun 2019, 08:34 (Ref:3914575)   #1967
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
porsche curves and karting were great spots for photo's, been there this year.
also the run to Indianapolis is a great spot.
Mulsanne corner also you can just see above the fences there.
Old 30 Jun 2019, 10:24 (Ref:3914902)   #1968
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I reckon the cost of Dunlop Tribune is worth it just for the photos. Raccordement was not, fences too high. I think I will try Wollek next year.

Tetre Rouge needs either a step or a body much longer than my meagre 5’ 9”. There is a nice long shot of the cars entering Mulsanne.

There are loads of good shots past the Dunlop Bridge but 300mm was barely enough for some. There are also some good shots through the fence.

The roofs of the bars between Dunlop and Tetre Rouge offered a great view. They were packed on Sat but largely empty early Sun morning.

Arnage needed that step again. Mulsanne corner is great. Indianapolis is great.

Just my first trip so I’m sure I missed loads!
Old 30 Jun 2019, 10:39 (Ref:3914904)   #1969
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I reckon the cost of Dunlop Tribune is worth it just for the photos. Raccordement was not, fences too high. I think I will try Wollek next year.
We had Benoist where the view from pit exit to the Dunlop Bridge was excellent.

Quote:
Tetre Rouge needs either a step or a body much longer than my meagre 5’ 9”. There is a nice long shot of the cars entering Mulsanne.
We were up there on Wednesday evening and the view down to Mulsanne was fantastic. But there are spots along the inside where you can catch the cars over the fence. My first time shooting at night for many years so it was all a bit hit and miss. That said there are also good views of the Dunlop Chicane and the run down from the bridge. Again the fence is not too noticeable.

Quote:
There are loads of good shots past the Dunlop Bridge but 300mm was barely enough for some. There are also some good shots through the fence.
Indeed.

Quote:
The roofs of the bars between Dunlop and Tetre Rouge offered a great view. They were packed on Sat but largely empty early Sun morning.
I saw some of those but didn't try them. Would have liked to get onto that one just by the tunnel to Bugatti.

Quote:
Arnage needed that step again. Mulsanne corner is great. Indianapolis is great.

Just my first trip so I’m sure I missed loads!
We didn't venture out that way. We did get access to the outside of Porsche curves, then Maison Blanche, we went to both on the Sunday.

Our first year too so a massive learning experience. Will probably buy seats in a couple of grandstands next time and of course renew the ACO membership to take advantage of the bars and cafes.

I mostly used my 100/400 lens.
Old 1 Jul 2019, 10:08 (Ref:3915298)   #1970
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Now? It's been the case for quite a few years.

But you still have:-

T34
The inside of the small area at the bottom of the Esses
Tertre Rouge (as you know.... )
The bank at Indianapolis
Ford Chicane (particularly if you have a good lens wide open)
Yeah. My first trip was 2008 and most of the photo spots I went to that year are inaccessible now!

The bank at Indianapolis was a pleasant surprise: I haven't been to Arnage/Indianapolis for eight or nine years and I was amazed as to how much improvement has been made there.

Quote:
We got access to outside of Porsche Curves (in) and the Maison Blanche Terrace. Likewise there were people spectating from the roof of the karting pits.
Oh really? The last time I tried to get into the Porsche Curves (2016) I was told access was only for those camped at that site. Is that no longer the case, is it open to all again?

The first few years I did camping at Le Mans was on Maison Blanche and there were some cracking spots there as the high fence had loads of gaps in it. Ditto on the karting side as well. Last time I tried to get to those two areas (2015 I think), it was all closed off for hospitality. Can the public get there again now?
Old 1 Jul 2019, 10:40 (Ref:3915302)   #1971
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Oh really? The last time I tried to get into the Porsche Curves (2016) I was told access was only for those camped at that site. Is that no longer the case, is it open to all again?
We were staying with Traveldestinations and got access to the campsite as well as our Flexotel location. It does raise the point as to whether you need a grandstand seat if this area is available and of course if you are camping there you can take your own seats.

If you join the ACO you get access to the Terrace at Maison Blanche.
Old 1 Jul 2019, 13:48 (Ref:3915335)   #1972
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The roof terrace on the karting pits is open to anyone and you can get to the inside of the first right hander at the start of the Porsche curves, if I am not mistaken. Still never made it down there...
Old 1 Jul 2019, 14:01 (Ref:3915337)   #1973
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes the karting roof is free. We'd just done enough walking so gave it a miss.
Old 1 Jul 2019, 14:11 (Ref:3915338)   #1974
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
We were staying with Traveldestinations and got access to the campsite as well as our Flexotel location. It does raise the point as to whether you need a grandstand seat if this area is available and of course if you are camping there you can take your own seats.
Ah, that's it! I knew it was one of the travel companies that had exclusive access there, I just couldn't remember which one!

Quote:
If you join the ACO you get access to the Terrace at Maison Blanche.
I actually ended up wandering into an ACO area by accident on Saturday morning (by the Dunlop bridge) and I watched the start from there. I have probably just been slow to notice, but I seemed to see a lot more exclusive ACO areas this year, so I'll definitely look at membership for next year.

Quote:
Yes the karting roof is free. We'd just done enough walking so gave it a miss.
That's good to know, having been disappointed by the lack of access in the past I shall fit a stroll down there in at some point next time!
Old 3 Jul 2019, 08:48 (Ref:3915623)   #1975
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That ACO roof terrace did look good. You'd get a shot of the cars coming towards you through Corvette corner. The karting pits are a good place to watch the action but from a photography standpoint, due to the catch fence, you can only really get the cars going away from you and towards the kink. In a giant tarmac expanse. So it depends how you define a 'good' photo.

Can't be long until those karting pits get torn down by the way.

Those bar structures are well worth buying a beer and going in.

Untitled by Richard Simpson, on Flickr
Untitled by Richard Simpson, on Flickr