Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Oct 2019, 08:49 (Ref:3934883)   #626
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I guess if further down the road the engine rules change they could use smaller displacement engines, though would reliability suffer if they had to get 380bhp from a 1.8 or a 1.6 engine? If we follow the way the wind is blowing, they could well be moving towards more hybrid integration anyway, in which case the power derived from the ICE could well be up for review if say they are getting 100bhp from an electric motor.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 09:06 (Ref:3934891)   #627
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
On TTT he said something along the lines of almost getting what would've been the biggest brand in the BTCC on board, but a deal fell through.
Red Bull? After the season he posted #RedBull #givesyouwings hashtags, something I've seen for the first time in his feed. But let's not read too much into this, the same as to the fact that he's just got a brand new road car from BMW UK
Old 16 Oct 2019, 09:14 (Ref:3934896)   #628
VictoriaYorks
Rookie

VictoriaYorks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
On TTT he said something along the lines of almost getting what would've been the biggest brand in the BTCC on board, but a deal fell through.

A red bull bmw would have looked great
Old 16 Oct 2019, 09:28 (Ref:3934900)   #629
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I guess if further down the road the engine rules change they could use smaller displacement engines, though would reliability suffer if they had to get 380bhp from a 1.8 or a 1.6 engine? If we follow the way the wind is blowing, they could well be moving towards more hybrid integration anyway, in which case the power derived from the ICE could well be up for review if say they are getting 100bhp from an electric motor.
To get that level of power and reliability from 1.6 or 1.8 engines, you are looking at a lot of expense. That is why the ngtc engines are 2.0 capacity as opposed to the 1.6 used in WRC.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 10:25 (Ref:3934918)   #630
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I think more likely that WSR are pitching to BMW UK to increase the budget to entirely fund 2 cars leaving the 3rd car as a pay car. Didn't AJ tweet a while back from BMW HQ when he arrived for a meeting.

Sent from my AGS2-L09 using Tapatalk
I think it's looking increasingly likely that Jordan will effectively take the Oliphant Seat, which makes it look more likely that a 3rd driver would be in a separately branded car. Who could take that then? Blundell?
Old 16 Oct 2019, 10:29 (Ref:3934921)   #631
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Red Bull sponsor one of the Australian Supercar teams, and seem to be involved heavily in most motorsports, so I would not be surprised to see them step up in BTCC. They are usually involved at the sharp end of the grid....
Old 16 Oct 2019, 10:39 (Ref:3934928)   #632
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
I think it's looking increasingly likely that Jordan will effectively take the Oliphant Seat, which makes it look more likely that a 3rd driver would be in a separately branded car. Who could take that then? Blundell?
From Oliphant's blog it sounds like he's hoping to be back in the BMW next season:

"On the whole it has been a mega first season with WSR and BMW"

"Looking ahead, I really think we have laid some good foundations to continue moving forward next year. I’ve had podiums and been a regular in the top ten, so next up is to chase wins and championships - I’m really excited for the future."

That sounds like a man expecting to be in one of the BMWs next season.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 11:28 (Ref:3934937)   #633
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
From Oliphant's blog it sounds like he's hoping to be back in the BMW next season:

"On the whole it has been a mega first season with WSR and BMW"

"Looking ahead, I really think we have laid some good foundations to continue moving forward next year. I’ve had podiums and been a regular in the top ten, so next up is to chase wins and championships - I’m really excited for the future."

That sounds like a man expecting to be in one of the BMWs next season.
Oliphant has the funds available so I really can't see why he wouldn’t continue, he improved as the season went along and started to run his teammates close. The added bonus is his backers don’t need a full car livery so he’ll happily run in BMW or team colours
Old 16 Oct 2019, 12:30 (Ref:3934949)   #634
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Red Bull sponsor one of the Australian Supercar teams, and seem to be involved heavily in most motorsports, so I would not be surprised to see them step up in BTCC. They are usually involved at the sharp end of the grid....
Mr M pulled funding on his NASCAR backed outfit (which closed down as a result) and disappeared from Indy. I know it was said if he wasn't winning he wasn't interested.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 12:35 (Ref:3934953)   #635
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
Oliphant has the funds available so I really can't see why he wouldn’t continue, he improved as the season went along and started to run his teammates close. The added bonus is his backers don’t need a full car livery so he’ll happily run in BMW or team colours
I fully expect him back in the BMW, same arrangements as this year. He has the backing and he is definitely getting the hang of the BMW. He can bring a lot to the party, has skill, years ahead of him and learn from Colin too. Win win is how I see it.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 13:36 (Ref:3934962)   #636
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I want to see Oliphant back. He certainly has got closer to Colin and AJ as the season has gone on. It will be good to see him make good use of that progress
Old 16 Oct 2019, 17:46 (Ref:3935009)   #637
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in light of the very dirty move by Neal maybe WSR needs someone who could do the same to Dynamcis come final if they both have drivers in the title fight

Last edited by porsche962fan; 16 Oct 2019 at 17:51.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 17:55 (Ref:3935012)   #638
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
in light of the very dirty move by Neal maybe WSR needs someone who could do the same to Dynamcis come final if they both have drivers in the title fight
Reidy back out of retirement then? Lovely bloke, absolutely badass, a T Rex had better watch out when Reidy's about, never mind a Honda!
Old 16 Oct 2019, 18:23 (Ref:3935015)   #639
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Reidy back out of retirement then? Lovely bloke, absolutely badass, a T Rex had better watch out when Reidy's about, never mind a Honda!
nah just get collard back, he want afraid to use the bumper
Old 17 Oct 2019, 10:01 (Ref:3935136)   #640
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
BMR have confirmed the Subaru split. And also have said they're committed to a future in btcc so clearly they havent sold up.
Old 17 Oct 2019, 10:12 (Ref:3935137)   #641
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Now that’s all confirmed, anyone have any ideas on what they are likely to run if at all in 2020? Could they run the Scoobys independently for example?
Old 17 Oct 2019, 10:15 (Ref:3935138)   #642
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
BMR have confirmed the Subaru split. And also have said they're committed to a future in btcc so clearly they havent sold up.
Interesting how things are 'spinned' in the comments from the team:

'Team bosses say that changes to the technical regulations of the series mean that it is only possible to run the flat-four-style boxer powerplant in the Subaru Levorg.

Also, BMR says that changes in the aerodynamics rules of the BTCC mean that the estate-shaped car does not have the same advantages as some of the smaller models.'

When the car was initially released, the flat-four engine and aerodynamic performance of the chassis were given as the reasons for it being the best choice of car for BTCC.

BMR committing to a future in the BTCC could mean anything:
Running a full team,
Sponsoring a driver,
Managing a driver,
or just holding onto TBLs that are leased to others.

HMS Racing are committed to the BTCC, but we haven't seen them on the grid this season......
Old 17 Oct 2019, 10:19 (Ref:3935140)   #643
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TeamCarDriverNotes

Confirmed Entries   
Excelr8??????In talks about new build - title sponsor announced
Excelr8??????In talks about new build - title sponsor announced
Team DynamicsHonda CivicCammish2yr contract confirmed in press release
Team DynamicsHonda CivicNealConfirmed as driver pairing in press release

Likely Entries   
HMS RacingAlfa GiuliettaAustinHold TBL - have been testing
WSRBMW 330i??????
WSRBMW 330iOliphantHas talked about next year with the team
Power MaxedVauxhall Astra??????
Power MaxedVauxhall Astra??????
SpeedworksToyota Corolla??????
MotorbaseFord Focus??????
MotorbaseFord Focus??????
BTC RacingHonda CivicSmiley?New cars for 2019
BTC RacingHonda Civic???New cars for 2019
Laser ToolsInfiniti Q50Moffatselling Merc+TBL

Possible Entries   
BMR??????State they are committed to BTCC future
BMR??????State they are committed to BTCC future
AmDHonda Civic??????
AmDHonda Civic??????
TradePrice(Amd)?????????
TradePrice(Amd)?????????
Team ParkerBMW ???????
HARDVW CCThompsonClaims to have exciting 2020 news on social media soon
HARDVW CC??????
HARDVW CC??????
HARDVW CC??????
Ciceley MotorsportMB A-ClassMorgan???
Ciceley MotorsportMB A-Class??????
Simpson RacingHonda CivicSimpson???
MotorbaseFord Focus???TBL on loan for 2019
???MB A-Class???TBL+Car on sale from Laser Tools
???Jag ?CreesRumoured by Crees in a Facebook interview
Laser ToolsInfiniti Q50SuttonSutton tested car (BMR leaving?)
WSRBMW 330iJordanLost Pirtek sponsorship, says he wants to stay in the BTCC, but only with WSR

Entries with doubt   
??????SheddenSpeculation about wanting a return
??????M.JacksonLinked to half of the teams on the grid
??????BlundellStated that he is undecided about a 2020 return
???Subaru Levorg???Car not viable as NGTC entry (according to BMR)
???Subaru Levorg???Car not viable as NGTC entry (according to BMR)
Old 17 Oct 2019, 10:20 (Ref:3935141)   #644
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
suggest you look at bmr's accounts on companies house, https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09356881

the phrase up the creek with no paddle comes to mind
Old 17 Oct 2019, 10:22 (Ref:3935143)   #645
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
I’ve watched the replay of that incident a few times now, and whilst at the time I was pretty angry at what I thought was a rash move on a driver that I support, I have come to the conclusion that the move was on, and Neal was 3/4 up the inside of Turkington at the apex. It galls me to say it as a huge BMW and Turkington fan, but the move was fair, Turkington just didn’t expect it and thought that Neal would back off, but Turkington pinched Neal at the apex and got turned around because of it. In that scenario Turkington always had much more to lose than Neal, and you could say it was a cynical overtaking attempt by Neal and aggressive, but in no way do I think he tried to take him off deliberately. I’m no Matt Neal or Plato apologist, I think they have done their fair share of bad driving, but I just think it was a racing incident and nothing more. I note a similarity to the move Butcher did on Turkington at Knockhill, Turkington took the apex despite the Honda being there and got clipped and spun around. As much as I support Colin and the BMW team, I think perhaps he was a little bit naive in both situations there, in thinking the guy behind would back out. I know to the letter of the law in racing terms the driver ahead has the corner, but at some point you have to concede and know when you are beaten.
Old 17 Oct 2019, 10:26 (Ref:3935145)   #646
S griffin
Veteran

The Butcher incident was more clear cut, as Rory hadn’t got the overlap, yet didn’t back out of the move and left his nose in when he shouldn’t have
Old 17 Oct 2019, 10:29 (Ref:3935147)   #647
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
just have a look at btcc teams on companies house and their accounts, wsr and team dynamics in the black, few others in the red, some just about in the black
Old 17 Oct 2019, 10:48 (Ref:3935150)   #648
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
suggest you look at bmr's accounts on companies house, https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09356881

the phrase up the creek with no paddle comes to mind
How is that going to provide any more of an insight than 12 months ago?
What has changed in that time, since many people were expecting them to disappear last winter?

Quote:
I think we might be looking at BMR leaving the series if they are not careful
Quote:
I think the end of BMR, but not the Subaru.
Quote:
And, if they [BMR] make the start of the season, will they see it through?
It was only a few months later when:
Quote:
I find that BMR still have Subaru backing AND are going to be on the grid to be the biggest surprise of the winter!!
Quote:
All those people writing off BMR earlier in the Winter, posting their accounts and company details, i hope you're all enjoying that humble pie!
Old 17 Oct 2019, 11:02 (Ref:3935151)   #649
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm, well if BMR do continue in the BTCC, I suppose they'll be looking at building new cars because I'm not sure there's too many chasis going unused. Unless they pick up the Alfa program or something?

Perhaps their intent to continue in the BTCC may be directed at the long-term future, and they may take a sabbatical (whether they return after that or not is a different question!)
Old 17 Oct 2019, 11:17 (Ref:3935157)   #650
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame to see Subaru's factory deal end but I didn't expect anything else to be honest. I'm quite surprised that BMR say they are committed to the BTCC because somehow I was convinced they would quit the series. I'm curious what they are planning and if Sutton is part of their plans.