Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Jun 2003, 12:54 (Ref:634174)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Now what?

Now that Bentley has won Le Mans, might they emulate BMW in 1999 and contest the balance of the ALMS? Kristensen/Capello and Smith/Brabham would be pretty handy pairings, and with strong points finishes at Sebring they might yet win the title. Oh, come on, please..?
Old 17 Jun 2003, 13:41 (Ref:634300)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good Question...
Old 18 Jun 2003, 08:42 (Ref:635287)   #3
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Money, money, money, If the Audi group have suceeded in getting Bentley to win and are 'apparently' working on a coupe for the Audi brand will they bother, i think Bentleys cash will be pulled, although, as Audi UK hgad its own budget which it used to run the R8s, wont Bentley have its own budget that it could use.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 10:40 (Ref:635372)   #4
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what Radio LM were saying that was the end of the Bentley race programme. They were going to look into further events, or finish at the top when they got back to base.

I would not expect to see any other racing programme apart from LM in 2004 if Audi brand go for the GT/GTS route.

I would really like to know what Joest have planned as they are the key people.

Simon
Old 19 Jun 2003, 16:05 (Ref:636749)   #5
jpchenet
Rookie

jpchenet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of our guys blagged their way into the Bentley enclosure after the race. The word in there was that after their great result they may well change plans and be back again next year.

I hope so. Bentley v Audi in the same class. That could be interesting
Old 19 Jun 2003, 17:29 (Ref:636834)   #6
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Admitedly very interesting, but always VAG. I hope others will come (Honda ?)
Old 19 Jun 2003, 19:16 (Ref:636912)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I think they will not compete in ALMS because this market isn't important for Bentley.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 19:52 (Ref:636931)   #8
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Bentley might contest the petit le mans at the end of the year, I believe that was part of the plan for this year anyway wasn't it?
Old 19 Jun 2003, 20:32 (Ref:636965)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some how I think we have seen the last of Bentley - VAG are going to put all there money back in to Audi again, much as I would love to see them at PLM and Le Mans next year it isn't going to happen, sorry to disapoint folks......
Old 19 Jun 2003, 20:56 (Ref:636997)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
I think they will not compete in ALMS because this market isn't important for Bentley.
Quote:
2004 Bentley GT : Volkswagen's answer to the Aston Martin V12 Vanquish, the Bentley GT coupe promises to push the premium marque to new heights of sophistication and performance. Under the hood, a 6.0-liter, twin-turbocharged W12 engine will produce 560 horsepower, delivered through the marque's first all-wheel-drive system. Performance claims put 0-60-mph times at 4.7 seconds and with a maximum speed in excess of 190 mph.

2004 Bentley MSB : VW-designed, midsize Bentley (MSB) introduced. Destined to be the Bentley volume model with a pricetag around $150K.

-Motor Trend
Some sales figures: (from automotive intelligence)
Code:
Bentley             1999        2000

Americas             437         558 
United Kingdom       337         437 
Continental Europe   155         231 
ROW                   78         138
WORLD               1007        1364
So the Americas accounted for 41-43% of Bentley's market. I somehow doubt that "this market isn't important for Bentley."

A related page - http://www.audiworld.com/news/02/110402b/content.shtml shows that Audi has achieved some decent growth in sales despite the soft market of the last few years. How much of that can be attributed to the success and proper marketing use of the R8?

Last edited by paul-collins; 19 Jun 2003 at 20:58.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Jun 2003, 16:45 (Ref:637786)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
So the Americas accounted for 41-43% of Bentley's market.
This is new to me...
Conclusion: Why not Bentley in ALMS?
Old 20 Jun 2003, 18:06 (Ref:637849)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We're all scratching our heads on that one over here, too.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Jun 2003, 20:34 (Ref:637973)   #13
Nick M
Rookie

Nick M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi sales are worth more than Bentley ones ?

Sell 500 Bentleys and net, say, $4,000,000.

Sell 5,000 Audis and net, say, $8,000,000.

(all figures are guesses by the way !! )

Now, consumers, especially American comsumers, are slightly bizarre and fickle creatures. They've clearly been won over by Audi's marketing based on the success of the R8 and are buying more Audis as a result.

Now, if Bentley comes in and starts beating them then, while it may attract another, say, 50 Bentley sales it might knock Audi sales because they're now being beaten. Consumers were attracted by the success of the R8 but equally might be swayed when they stop winning....

Factor in the fact that your typical consumer probably doesn't make the connection between Bentley and VAG and you can see how it might work against them.

Yes, this is all speculation, guesswork and, well, probable ****** but the world of marketing is a funny old one !!
Old 20 Jun 2003, 20:57 (Ref:638005)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Using your guessed figures, so long as Bentley gains more than one sale for every 5 lost by Audi, they come out ahead. The question is just how much.

Plus, if they were really cynical about it, they could kneecap the Bentleys to make it close. 12" wide wheels, anyone?

-Bill James