Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Mar 2010, 21:16 (Ref:2647741)   #26
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
The Moss house has been full of unusual gadgets since the 60's,
I remember when he was recovering in hospital after his Goodwood crash he designed a ball point pen that could write upside down
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Mar 2010, 21:33 (Ref:2647756)   #27
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Stirling will be back on the feet soon, the younger guys should put on a good show for him in Bahrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I believe the lift was one of his treasured possessions that was featured in the Octane's Gearbox feature or similar.
It looks pretty special too, probably not a lot lifts with Williams made carbon fiber interiors around!

Quote:
StirlingMossCom: The lift in question http://www.twitpic.com/17dxwt
Old 8 Mar 2010, 22:27 (Ref:2647787)   #28
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Sir Stirling was my first and only really hero. They really don't make them like that any more. I doubt if many people of his age could survive a fall like that, yet alone be so chipper the next day.

This is an article about the house: http://property.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle3721180.ece

Last edited by strider; 8 Mar 2010 at 22:33. Reason: Repetition of previous post
Old 8 Mar 2010, 22:35 (Ref:2647792)   #29
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have maintained a list of our race series 'favourite driver' for the last 14 years. Sir Stirling still tops the list by a country mile. Greatest driver ever. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 23:24 (Ref:2647821)   #30
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A very nasty accident. I broke my right ankle nearly two weeks ago, so have a pretty good idea of what it's like. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 09:52 (Ref:2648016)   #31
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm... reaching in to a pitch dark lift to turn on the light? Poor chap must have got the fright of his life when he stepped in to fresh air.

Get well soon.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 11:19 (Ref:2648070)   #32
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
The few details that have surfaced about the circumstances all sound rather Bizarre.

Nonetheless, hearty calls for a speedy recovery are joined. Get well soon.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2648118)   #33
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
They are talking about this on Radio2 at the moment. Sure must of been scary and painful.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 13:18 (Ref:2648142)   #34
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Bet its the fastest he has ever accelerated! (Sorry Stirling but you seem like a man that can take a joke!)
Old 9 Mar 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2648377)   #35
Rich D
Racer

Canada
Acton, Ontario
Rich D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Recieved this courtesy of "The Motorsport Collector". Can only assume it's genuine.

Quote:
Stirling sent this email message to his many friends and fans around the world:

========================

TO ALL MY FRIENDS (AND ALL THOSE WHO ARE KIND ENOUGH TO CARE),

DEAR ALL OF YOU,
THE LAST FEW DAYS HAVE BEEN QUITE FANTASTIC AND I'D LIKE TO THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU FOR YOUR KIND THOUGHTS, MESSAGES AND OTHER PARAPHERNALIA.

ON SATURDAY EVENING, I WAS AT HOME WITH SUSIE, ELLIOT AND HELEN AND ABOUT TO LEAVE FOR A CURRY, FOR WHICH WE WERE RUNNING LATE. I ASKED HELEN TO JOIN ME IN THE LIFT TO GO DOWNSTAIRS, BECAUSE SUSIE AND ELLIOT WERE SMART ENOUGH NOT TO RIDE IN MY LIFT. I OPENED THE DOOR AND STEPPED INTO THE LIFT, WITH HELEN READY TO FOLLOW ME, WHICH SHE NEVER DID. THAT IS BECAUSE THE LIFT HAD STOPPED ON THE FLOOR ABOVE AND INCORRECTLY ALLOWED THE DOOR BENEATH IT TO OPEN.

STILL CHATTING TO HELEN, I STEPPED INTO THE OPEN DOORWAY-- AND FELL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE LIFT SHAFT.

THE AMBULANCE WAS CALLED AND ARRIVED AT RACING SPEED, WHEREUPON THEY PUT ME ONTO A SERIES OF ABOUT 10 STRETCHERS! HAVING FINALLY SETTLED ON WHAT MUST HAVE SEEMED A GOOD ONE, I WAS TAKEN, ALONG WITH MY FAMILY TO THE ROYAL LONDON HOSPITAL IN WHITECHAPEL, WHERE THEY USED ANOTHER BATCH OF SIMILAR STRETCHERS!

THEY DID A GOOD JOB OF HELPING ME, BUT WERE UNABLE TO DO THE REQUISITE SURGERY. SO, ON THE SUNDAY, I WAS MOVED TO THE PRINCESS GRACE, WHERE A FANTASTICALLY EFFICIENT, KIND AND AMUSING STAFF DID ALL THE JOBS.

I AM NOW IN A LOVELY ROOM, NUMBER 222, AND WITH THE HELP OF ELLIOT AND THE PORTER, AM FINALLY ON THE EMAIL. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT I WILL BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY SEND THIS TO YOU, BUT I WILL TRY!

NOW FOR THE FUTURE... WHICH I CAN SEE WITH SUSIE, HELEN AND ELLIOT AROUND ME, IS GOING TO BE A BLOODY STRUGGLE!

AS SOME OF YOU MAY KNOW, SUSIE AND I ARE BOOKED ON A SEABOURN CRUISE FOR OUR 30TH ANNIVERSARY, NEXT MONTH. I HAVE TO CROSS THE HURDLE OF GETTING THE DOCORS, AND FAMLY HANGERS-ON, TO ALLOW ME TO THIN MY BLOOD, IN ORDER TO AVOID ANY ISSUES INVOLVING DEEP VEIN THROMBOSIS.

IT WILL BE SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS FROM SUNDAY BEFORE I WILL ABLE TO PUT ANY LOAD ON MY FEET. THEREFORE I'M FACING MY SIXTH OR SEVENTH REDUCTION TO A WHEELCHAIR (SUSIE SAYS SHE'S STOPPED COUNTING) WHICH I MUST ADMIT, IS RATHER BORING. THE GOOD NEWS IS; THAT I DIDN'T SELL THE WHEELCHAIR AFTER THE LAST SHUNT!

THE WHOLE THING IS A REAL PAIN IN THE ARSE, IF I HAD LOOKED WHERE I WAS GOING, I WOULDN'T BE HERE AT ALL, SO IT'S MY OWN DAMN FAULT.

I HAVE BEEN ABSOLUTELY OVERWHELMED BY YOUR COLLECTIVE CONCERN AND KINDNESS.

I CAN TELL YOU THAT CURRENTLY I'M LYING IN HOSPITAL, TAKING DEEP BREATHS, LIFTING ONE ARM WITH THE OTHER, RAISING MY LEGS (WITH PLASTERS ON THE END) AND DOING ALL I CAN DO TO KEEP MYSELF AS MOBILE AS POSSIBLE, BUT, HAVING SAID THAT, I'M NOT YET WINNING THE BATTLE.

I'M NOT SURE WHEN I'LL BE ABLE TO GO HOME BUT THE LIFT HAS TO WORK, OTHERWISE I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO GET UPSTAIRS IN MY WHEELCHAIR, MAYBE I'LL GO AND STAY WITH HELEN AND ELLIOT FOR A WHILE...

THIS REALLY HAS OPENED MY EYES TO HOW KIND ALL MY FRIENDS ARE, OVER AN OLD EX- RACING DRIVER, FLOGGING A FADING IMAGE!

I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU SOON,

MANY THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR THOUGHTS,

CIAO

================================
Our best to Sir Stirling and Lady Susan.

Old 9 Mar 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2648450)   #36
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sir Stirling said the last few days have been fantastic. I think its him who is fantastic.!!!
Old 9 Mar 2010, 19:52 (Ref:2648465)   #37
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's given us all a lift!
Get well soon Sir Stirling. Hope to see you at the Revival!
Old 10 Mar 2010, 00:33 (Ref:2648620)   #38
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Oh, SOMEONE has to...
Stirling? You should have gone to SpecSavers!

Get well soon.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 08:06 (Ref:2648721)   #39
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirling Moss
THE WHOLE THING IS A REAL PAIN IN THE ARSE, IF I HAD LOOKED WHERE I WAS GOING, I WOULDN'T BE HERE AT ALL, SO IT'S MY OWN DAMN FAULT.
Most people nowadays would be straight on to a solicitor to issue proceedings against the lift company, the electrician, the builder and any other contractor that had anything to do the lift.

Not Stirling Moss though. What a true Gent.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 13:28 (Ref:2648893)   #40
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Brilliant message, sums up the man to a tea. Get well soon, Sir Stirling.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 11:41 (Ref:2664109)   #41
WapFlap
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
WapFlap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sniff Petrol has added a nice movieposter on their website.

Old 31 Mar 2010, 13:23 (Ref:2664172)   #42
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellant, excellant.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 23:31 (Ref:2665158)   #43
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Apparently he's bought some "million pound" car whilst in hospital, and announced when leaving hospital yesterday (?) that he was intending to be driving (ie racing) it within a month....

The guy's an inspiration
Old 2 Apr 2010, 10:03 (Ref:2665323)   #44
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
He bought a RS 61 Porsche and it was about 1.7 million USD at Amelia Island Sale three weeks ago
Old 3 Apr 2010, 14:57 (Ref:2665970)   #45
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
He was on "the One Show" last night.....being visited (and kissed!) in bed by Christine Bleakley......lucky barsteward

He's looking well, though - bit worried about his tan fading but otherwise no problems!
Old 4 Apr 2010, 13:23 (Ref:2666595)   #46
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
[QUOTE=Lancsbreaker;2665970]He was on "the One Show" last night.....being visited (and kissed!) in bed by Christine Bleakley......lucky barsteward
Yep i agree.