Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Nov 2013, 09:11 (Ref:3337282)   #1
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Veggie Alonso or Vettel. The drivers have their say.

Asked who is really the better driver after the season finale, the replies from the rest of the F1 drivers below.

Mark Webber: "They are both great drivers, but I can only say that I was really happy to be fighting against Fernando in my last race."

Felipe Massa:"For me, they are both great. Vettel is the champion. Fernando is considered the best. You want me to say one? I won't do that."

Lewis Hamilton: "I think that in that Red Bull, Alonso would win even more easily than Vettel does."

Nico Rosberg: "I don't know if Alonso is the best, but he's one of the best, no doubt. Better than Seb? Maybe."

Sergio Perez: "Although this year has been all about Vettel, it is clear to me that Alonso is the best."

Esteban Gutierrez: "Alonso, yes, Alonso. He is still the best."

Jenson Button:"I couldn't say. If I was a team boss ... when I am a team boss, I will show you who I would sign."

Pastor Maldonado: "I think Vettel is very good, for sure, but if I was a team I would have Alonso, of course, without a doubt. Fernando is a genius."

Valtteri Bottas: "Um ... that's a difficult question. I think I would have them both!"

Giedo van der Garde: "Both."

Heikki Kovalainen: "Alonso."

Max Chilton: "Both."

Romain Grosjean: "That is a very difficult question and I couldn't honestly answer it."

Nico Hulkenberg: "Impossible to say, impossible to know."

Adrian Sutil: "All I can say is that they are both very good, but I wouldn't like to say one or the other."

Paul di Resta: "It's hard to say, Vettel is the champion but Fernando ... what can you say about Alonso that hasn't already been said?"

Charles Pic: "I have Spanish and German friends, so I don't want to hurt anyone."

Jean-Eric Vergne: "I think I will surprise you, but I will say Vettel."

Daniel Ricciardo: "I admire Fernando, but I'll take Seb!"

Jules Bianchi: "I stick with Alonso, but I can't say anything else, as I work with Ferrari."

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1...onso-question/
Old 27 Nov 2013, 09:54 (Ref:3337294)   #2
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I think Hulkenberg's answer is probably the most accurate!

The rest are mainly split along tribal lines; language, engine, sponsor, envy; so who knows!
Old 27 Nov 2013, 09:59 (Ref:3337297)   #3
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

The rest are mainly split along tribal lines; language, engine, sponsor, envy; so who knows!
+1
Old 27 Nov 2013, 10:24 (Ref:3337306)   #4
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it is any surprise to see Alonso getting the most mentions among the drivers. It's a sentiment that gets mentioned so much among fans worldwide that I think there is truth in the observation. I think Alonso is the best driver in Formula One and I'm a Hamilton fan first and foremost.

What Alonso has done in his Ferrari over the past 4 seasons is incredible IMO. There is a reason why he's a double World Champion.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 12:36 (Ref:3337350)   #5
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
What a bunch of disgusting wimps.

".... You want me to say one? I won't do that......"

"....Maybe....."

"....I couldn't say....."

"....that's a difficult question. I think I would have them both....."

"....Both....."

"....Both....."

"....That is a very difficult question and I couldn't honestly answer it....."

"....Impossible to say, impossible to know....."

"..."All I can say is that they are both very good, but I wouldn't like to say one or the other..."

"....I have Spanish and German friends, so I don't want to hurt anyone...."

Pathetic.

Congratulations to the drivers who actually answered the question with an answer instead of the woolly fluff quoted above. Of course those who answered Vettel sharing a team with him get exactly nil pois as do drivers who rely on Ferrari and answered Alonso. They get a flat zero as well.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 17:01 (Ref:3337449)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Agreed.

It's all personal opinion. Ant Davidson reckons that Seb would beat both Alonso and Hamilton in a Red Bull. Weather he'd beat Alonso currently in a Ferrari who knows, but at times Felipe wasn't far off Fernando and Seb is infinitely better than Felipe so why not ?

Same with Lewis in the Merc. Seb is better than Rosberg yet he had the upper hand over Lewis more often than not.

I think a lot of it, when it comes to Vettel, is jealousy. No one wants to admit to how good he is, can only win because he's in a Red Bull. Rubbish. No one wins 13 times in one season when their team mate can't even win once. You only have to look at his first outing in the BMW, with a points scoring position, or his time in the STR to see how good he is.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 18:05 (Ref:3337463)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As you say, it's all personal opinion. Just like your's is........

Right now, I'd have to say Vettel. (There, that surprised you, didn't it..... ). It would be wonderful though to see them competing in the same team or in obviously (near-)equal machinery....
Old 27 Nov 2013, 19:30 (Ref:3337494)   #8
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alonso can certainly drag a dog of a car further up than it should be, and for that he has my begrudging respect. I'm not sure Vettel could but that's only because I haven't seen him have to.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 20:37 (Ref:3337504)   #9
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Alonso can certainly drag a dog of a car further up than it should be, and for that he has my begrudging respect. I'm not sure Vettel could but that's only because I haven't seen him have to.

Not so sure about either of them ever driving a "dog", but whenever the RB wasn't the fastest car of the day Vettel would get all the points out of it that were possible. Like during the beginning of the 2012 season. I wonder why people forget that so quickly.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 21:16 (Ref:3337519)   #10
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Alonso's ever so slightly overrated now. He's brilliant sure, one of the best drivers of his era and has left as big a mark as a driver possibly can without breaking all the records in the book. I think long term he might even be considered alongside Senna and co as one of F1's absolute goliath superstars. He's endured as one of the yearly protagonists from his years at Renault fighting Schumacher, to ten years later fighting Vettel in a Ferrari. The thought of Ferrari taking the title again is starting to build the same romantic feeling as it did in the late nineties and he's come so close.

But I don't think, over a single lap, he's as fast as Vettel. Or Hamilton. I don't think he quite had the searing pace of a 2005 spec Kimi, or even a 2006 spec Schumi. He tends to get beaten by his team mates quite a lot more regularly on Saturdays than them, and was almost outqualified over this season by Massa. Trulli often had an edge over him at Renault. Fisichella was unimpressive against him, but a lot closer on pace than the points totals showed. Alonso is. Great, great racer, a relentless competitor on a Sunday and he hauls his car to almost impossible heights, but so has Vettel.

I think Vettel has the edge, and I far prefer Fernando. Vettel has the whole package, he's relentlessly quick over a race but also incredibly fast over a single lap. The results over the last four seasons speak for themselves. Fernando is the romantic choice, but Vettel is the logical one now. Boring or not, Vettel makes it look so easy and his incredible performance in Singapore matched anything Alonso has managed.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 21:34 (Ref:3337524)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ha, what difference does it make ?

Personal and subjective matters get in the way... the truth is, quoting a former driver, after the first, there are only losers.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 22:37 (Ref:3337539)   #12
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does nearly everyone on here truely believe that Vettel the new F1 messiah? That 4th title seems to have changed a lot of viewpoints.
He has done well no question, great job, but for me his success is mostly due to being with the right team at the right time, I have no doubt that 4-5 other top drivers would have the achieved the exact same in Sebs seat.

Alonso would be my first investment as team manager I think... with maybe Hulk as my number 2.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 23:11 (Ref:3337552)   #13
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
The Vettel fans will no doubt come on here and say different, which is fair enough, but seems quite clear Alonso is considered the better driver. The only drivers to state Vettel were Torro Rosso drivers
Old 27 Nov 2013, 23:35 (Ref:3337562)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
probably not a lot separating any in the top group but if i had to pick one driver for my team going forward it has to be the younger Vettel.
Old 28 Nov 2013, 00:03 (Ref:3337574)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zico View Post
but for me his success is mostly due to being with the right team at the right time...
I'm no fan of Vettel or anyone else, but tell me, which driver was champion not being with the right team at the right time ?
Old 28 Nov 2013, 00:20 (Ref:3337579)   #16
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I'm no fan of Vettel or anyone else, but tell me, which driver was champion not being with the right team at the right time ?
Probably none of them, but champion doesn't mean best driver necessarily, very good yes, and better than a team mate probably, but not always the best. Was Button the best driver of 2009?
Old 28 Nov 2013, 00:21 (Ref:3337580)   #17
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Alonso has dragged an inferior car to places where it shouldn't. With Vettel, it's unclear how much is attributable to Vettel and how much is attributable to Newey. Despite the dizzy heights he has ascended to, I don't think people are certain what we have got with Vettel - aside from the fact he is within the top strata of active F1 talent.

I think that's the primary issue. I think a secondary issue is that Latin F1 drivers carry a certain magnetic appeal that makes Alonso easy to forgive and to like.
Old 28 Nov 2013, 01:20 (Ref:3337599)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
What a bunch of disgusting wimps.
They do right. Imagine the number of driver x slams Alonso, or driver x questions Vettel's ability articles because of this. It'd keep Autosport going for weeks. Pointless question. Pointless answers. It doesn't deserve anything else and the drivers don't need to have to spend the next few weeks justifying their answer to this question. The press, and us, are getting what we deserve. We couldn't cope with the real answers anyway.
Old 28 Nov 2013, 05:11 (Ref:3337633)   #19
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
They do right. Imagine the number of driver x slams Alonso, or driver x questions Vettel's ability articles because of this. It'd keep Autosport going for weeks. Pointless question. Pointless answers. It doesn't deserve anything else and the drivers don't need to have to spend the next few weeks justifying their answer to this question. The press, and us, are getting what we deserve. We couldn't cope with the real answers anyway.
It's a fun question meant in a light hearted way to coax some witty answers out of these guys; it's not authoritative. I take it all in that spirit. Mischief it maybe but innocent stuff really. Drivers should be able to arrive at a formula in which they can give a relaxed and casual preference without sensationally disparaging the other.
Old 28 Nov 2013, 06:00 (Ref:3337638)   #20
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Agreed. There's no way to know and Hulk knows picking would only be guessing. Vettel and Alonso not only have never been teammates, they've never even had a common teammate. The closest link between them is a Rosberg, who has been teamed with both Vettel's teammate Webber (as a rookie) and with Alonso's teammate Hamilton, separated by 6 years. Without having any idea how they compare in terms of raw pace (the most important aspect to being a race car driver), there's no way to know who is better overall.
Old 28 Nov 2013, 08:02 (Ref:3337662)   #21
321Go
Veteran

Isn't Vettel a better driver than Webber?

So let's put it this way. If Sebastian Vettel wasn't at Red Bull, Mark Webber would be a four time World Drivers Champion.

Thank you, and good night.
Old 28 Nov 2013, 08:45 (Ref:3337672)   #22
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When Vettel came to Red Bull, they had Newey for some years and they were still doing nothing. He took their first win and has progressively developed himself, the car and the team into the most dominating combination we've seen in F1 for a very long time. And he's still just 26 years old ! These are all facts.

It's 7 years since Fernando Alonso last took a WDC and despite the fact that he's spent most of his career since then in teams with ample resources, he has been unable to get the job done again. Some of that is to do with the fact the car hasn't been as good as the competition - but that's his responsibility to correct. Other times it has been directly to do with his under-performance as a driver when it really counts. Again, these are all facts too.

In terms of their respective lots right now, there's no question that Vettel is the better Formula One driver - the results demonstrate that he has completely annihilated Alonso. This is also a fact.

What would be the outcome if they were put in each other's cars or if they were team mates or if they were put in equal GP2 cars or equal touring cars or equal karts ? Who knows ? They're all 'ifs'. Whatever that would be, it wouldn't be the Formula One of the here and now. It's purely hypothetical.
Old 28 Nov 2013, 08:52 (Ref:3337675)   #23
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
It's purely hypothetical.
Now THAT is fact!
Old 28 Nov 2013, 09:33 (Ref:3337687)   #24
MarkG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Now THAT is fact!

forum fanboys can say what they want of course, whoever their hero is.. all part of the fun.. but drivers are the only REAL judge of other drivers, not us lot on forums, but the drivers themselves... as to whether they give honest answers though, only they know.

so fire away fanboys ( and yes you can call me a fanboy of Alonso if you wish, I won't get upset ) supporting your driver.. but we're all wasting our time really... just like a Man U supporter trying to convince a Liverpool supporter that his team is best.
Old 28 Nov 2013, 09:47 (Ref:3337691)   #25
MarkG
Veteran

My opinion for what little it is worth, is that I agree with the drivers, Alonso is the best, with Lewis a very close second.
I put Vettel and Button as equal. That is a big compliment to Vettel. Button has put in some sublime drives over the years topped off with that drive in Canade when he pressured Vettel into a mistake and went on to win.
I think it quite feasible to believe Button in the Red Bull these last few years would be a multiple champion. He has proved he can win a championship with a great car, so why not with a great car each year?

Gonna stand back now and watch the flak