Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Dec 2018, 08:28 (Ref:3871586)   #3401
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Glad to see the Eiffel Tower is open, I'm coming across to Paris in a couple of weeks, I'd hate to miss a tourist attraction.
And I'm glad to see what we call "la dame de fer" (no pun here) is still there standing as should…
Because the reinforced safety regulations, there is a wall of glass surrounding the four bases. Because of the lack of signs, when facing the tower with Trocadero gardens right behind you, the single entry is located on your left. When buying tickets, all the guests must be present. And because of our touristic terrible situation, you can negotiate hard any souvenir you'll like to buy, outside the tower and sometimes in some souvenirs shops rue de Rivoli, facing lateral Le Louvre entry.
There are several restaurants inside the tower. I found the one located on the first floor rather cost effective, just near the glass walk.
Sorry for off topic, Mike…
Old 20 Dec 2018, 09:14 (Ref:3871591)   #3402
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is the Tea Break thread Gerard. *Nothing* is off topic

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 20 Dec 2018, 09:31 (Ref:3871593)   #3403
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
This is the Tea Break thread Gerard. *Nothing* is off topic

So we can't talk about 'Nothing' then?
Old 20 Dec 2018, 10:08 (Ref:3871601)   #3404
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I visited Eiffel Tower yesterday, they make no fun with security checks. Drones are forbidden. The kind of parade you're referring to has already been experienced… the name was pilori! Note, we still have some guillotines.
I knew you're classic and sometimes old fashion but is your middle age style new?
The problem with guillotines is that health and safety won't let you use them, the open blade means the operator might cut themselves!!
Old 20 Dec 2018, 10:52 (Ref:3871606)   #3405
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
So we can't talk about 'Nothing' then?
Well it's a double negative so if we're not talking about nothing we must automatically be talking about something.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 10:59 (Ref:3871608)   #3406
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It must have been a deliberate attempt to shut the airport because when the all clear was sounded in the wee small hours up they popped again

This is a new form of terrorism IMO.
Sounds like the authorities have come to the same conclusion. My original thought was that the purpetrator(s) were either incredibly stoopid or very clever. Obviously the latter.....

How about utilising some of the 3500 troops ‘ready’ at the moment with shotguns fitted with night sights? (To shoot down the drones....)
Old 20 Dec 2018, 11:04 (Ref:3871610)   #3407
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Well it's a double negative so if we're not talking about nothing we must automatically be talking about something.
Its so good to see that Monthy Python's spirit is still alive, including the part dedicated to French!
Ami Robert, please note that in our language, nothing is "rien". With "rien", you can get nothing. But with "deux fois rien", you can start something. And with "trois fois rien" the world is yours! Those words are from Raymond Devos, Belgian humorist, but because he was really good many pretend here he was French!
Thanks to you both for the smile! Really hope Midget will enjoy his stay. No worry, we dont throw any cows from the tower on our tourists' heads
Old 20 Dec 2018, 11:05 (Ref:3871611)   #3408
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
The kind of parade you're referring to has already been experienced… the name was pilori! Note, we still have some guillotines.
I knew you're classic and sometimes old fashion but is your middle age style new?
Guillotine perhaps a tad drastic.....

Did you hear about a prisoner (I think in the USA) who was serving a sentence for killing Deer, and as further punishment (or therapy!) was made to watch the film ‘Bambi’ at regular intervals during internment?
Old 20 Dec 2018, 11:07 (Ref:3871612)   #3409
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Did you hear about a prisoner (I think in the USA) who was serving a sentence for killing Deer, and as further punishment (or therapy!) was made to watch the film ‘Bambi’ at regular intervals during internment?
Orange mecanic inspired? No, this is not a reference to a well known E……t, sorry, racing car!
Old 20 Dec 2018, 11:31 (Ref:3871614)   #3410
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Question,
Few doors down from Delta HQ. Poor neighbors cat was found on back door step with head chopped off. I am guessing Mr Fox did this ???. At least I hope this was the case.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 11:32 (Ref:3871615)   #3411
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Only just opened this up after a late night down on one of the beach bars !
When I was doing Hot Rod racing Dellorto's were junked in favour of Weber's because the floats were hinged differently to the Weber's and altered the mixture on constant right handers.
As for "drones" I have one and live very close to Gatwick and our house is on the flightpath. however it wasn't me as I am in the sun at the moment !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Dec 2018, 11:39 (Ref:3871616)   #3412
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Question, Few doors down from Delta HQ. Poor neighbors cat was found on back door step with head chopped off. I am guessing Mr Fox did this ???. At least I hope this was the case.
Yes, could be, as they are known to (allegedly) kill for fun. Not unusual for people to find their chickens in a similar state..... Not nice.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 11:39 (Ref:3871617)   #3413
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Did you see how they use the last generation of DJI's Phantom in the war zones? Impressive and cheap.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 12:03 (Ref:3871618)   #3414
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What is a DJI's Phantom?
Old 20 Dec 2018, 12:05 (Ref:3871619)   #3415
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
DJI Phantom is a pro drone.....
Old 20 Dec 2018, 12:09 (Ref:3871620)   #3416
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sounds like the authorities have come to the same conclusion. My original thought was that the purpetrator(s) were either incredibly stoopid or very clever. Obviously the latter.....

How about utilising some of the 3500 troops ‘ready’ at the moment with shotguns fitted with night sights? (To shoot down the drones....)
I wonder if the military could deploy "counter Mortar finding radars" at airport perimeters to spot UAV type objects
Old 20 Dec 2018, 12:28 (Ref:3871624)   #3417
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Got it,thanks.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 12:42 (Ref:3871625)   #3418
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Getting messages that my flight tomorrow is delayed. No news on revised timing.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 12:54 (Ref:3871628)   #3419
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Well, its sold as a toy actually. The performances are quite impressive, they have many features like the ability to go back "home" automatically and others, like a camera coupled with a GPS. The drone takes pictures with an accurate localisation which allows to further guide an helicopter or a jet or atillery. It is possible to have the pictures via wifi too. The theoretical range of the remote is around 5 kilometers and it comes with a battery allowing at least 25 minutes of flight. All for less than 1k€. A weapon of choice in the bad hands. or good ones, depending of…
Old 20 Dec 2018, 13:00 (Ref:3871629)   #3420
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I wonder if the military could deploy "counter Mortar finding radars" at airport perimeters to spot UAV type objects
Interesting discussion on Vine’s programme about the drone prob just now. (Yes, once in a blue moon )

One fact that I hadn’t considered, is that the drone(s) could be pre-programmed and flying automously.

Shooting down is illegal, unfortunately! Appears birds of prey are used in some scenarios to attack drones, but I hope they are protected against the rotor blades......

The tech is with us to do something about the problem, and is likely already in use at military installations. Just no one thought it would be necessary at civil airports!
Old 20 Dec 2018, 13:10 (Ref:3871631)   #3421
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The longer I've owned mine the more they have shrunk.

Do you think this might be the source of the "3/4 scale" rumours that one hears from time to time? (actually probably 9/10ths scale but that would be less headline grabbing.)

Old 20 Dec 2018, 14:00 (Ref:3871640)   #3422
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Do you think this might be the source of the "3/4 scale" rumours that one hears from time to time? (actually probably 9/10ths scale but that would be less headline grabbing
Now there’s a thought....
Old 20 Dec 2018, 14:26 (Ref:3871646)   #3423
midgetman
Veteran

Grant you've won the internet today. John E please hand over the magnificent trophy I awarded earlier to you.

Old 20 Dec 2018, 14:46 (Ref:3871649)   #3424
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Grant you've won the internet today. John E please hand over the magnificent trophy I awarded earlier to you.

I was going to put it on my Christmas tree, but since I haven't got one, over to you Grant!
Old 20 Dec 2018, 14:48 (Ref:3871651)   #3425
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
One fact that I hadn’t considered, is that the drone(s) could be pre-programmed and flying automously. Shooting down is illegal, unfortunately!
Yes, they can be programmed. You dont need to shoot them down, you can send another one with a net or to provoque a crash. Recently, a kind of gun was invented to neutralise the remote (operating on 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz). The inconvenient is that you have to target the drone as you would do with a real gun, almost impossible during night time. Not a piece of cake.
Another danger when talking about drones is… the bauble attack!