Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

View Poll Results: Which "poverty pack" would you buy?
BA Falcon XT 14 66.67%
VY Commodore 3 14.29%
Magna Advance 2 9.52%
Avalon 0 0%
smaller car 0 0%
not my speed, luxo barge only/something smaller and faster 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Jan 2004, 03:49 (Ref:834928)   #1
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Poverty packs"

Which base model car would you be buying and why or why not?

Last edited by Mattracer; 12 Jan 2004 at 03:52.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 12 Jan 2004, 05:07 (Ref:834962)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The new 'poverty packs' are surprisingly opulent. Power windows in some models are the norm and not the exception, with air conditioning and CD player thrown in. Sound quality is usually awful, damned $2 speakers they put in there

I dont mind the new Magna fron the inside, but it is an inherently ugly car, and resale is very iffy. My TJ Magna is the base model Executive, and its worth less than half its new price from 3 1/2 years ago.

I will change it over to something else this year, but dont think a new shape one is in my future (despite my vote). I get laughed at too much

A Pug 307 would be better but its too expensive at $33k or so for the 2 litre version. I could get the 2.4 Camry Altise and bank $6k....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Jan 2004, 08:38 (Ref:835061)   #3
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I could I would vote for both the Falcon and the Commode as they both look nice for once. But as I have always been a Holden man it would be the Commode
Old 12 Jan 2004, 10:50 (Ref:835191)   #4
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be buying a XT BA falcon as my next car. The price i can get a low km 2nd hand one for and throw some decent wheels and suspension at it, i will be way in front on the price of an xr6. I keep my cars for that long that the resale value doesnt particularly matter( i ont pay retail, so i am a few thousand in front anyway).
GTR, crank up the stereo in either a BA or VY povo pack and you will be pleasantly surprised. Magna stereo's suck.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 12 Jan 2004, 10:57 (Ref:835196)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wasnt a huge fan of the standard BA sound system in my last rental... I am away next weekend so might see if I can wangle a VY from Mr Europcar

Maybe I just need to wear my cap backwards and I will feel all better Fully Sik Bro..
Old 15 Jan 2004, 09:18 (Ref:838995)   #6
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
I dont mind the new Magna fron the inside, but it is an inherently ugly car, and resale is very iffy. My TJ Magna is the base model Executive, and its worth less than half its new price from 3 1/2 years ago.
It would be worth about $10500 - $12500 max
Old 15 Jan 2004, 10:43 (Ref:839060)   #7
Mattracer
Veteran

So do Magnas have better resale than the Hoklden and Ford equivalents?

I have driven a TJ (I think) Sports V6 with the sequential shift auto and TC and it is a very schmick car with plenty of power. I would "consider" one if I was looking...

Old 15 Jan 2004, 10:43 (Ref:839062)   #8
Mattracer
Veteran

If Magnas ended up in Supercar would more people buy them or is the demographic mismatched?

Last edited by Mattracer; 15 Jan 2004 at 10:45.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 11:21 (Ref:839109)   #9
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer

I have driven a TJ (I think) Sports V6 with the sequential shift auto and TC and it is a very schmick car with plenty of power. I would "consider" one if I was looking...
I have seen 2002 tj magna sports for $21990 on the lot. Find me an equivilent Ford or Holden for the same money.
I saw a Ralliart Magna 9/2002 for sale in the paper here for $31000.
Magna has the same resale value as a Kia, virtually none. Good car and cheap 2nd hand if you are looking for one.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 15 Jan 2004, 11:47 (Ref:839133)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Tell us what you really think
Old 15 Jan 2004, 12:35 (Ref:839163)   #11
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic

Yep, bad resale on Magnas, thank the first generation Magnas for that The guy I bought my car off had just bought a 2yr old Magna Advance for $12000. I'll never buy a brand new car(unless I become a millionaire or something), a 1 or 2 year old one is almost as good, just heaps cheaper.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 15 Jan 2004, 22:30 (Ref:839696)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I didnt buy mine new, it was a year old with less than 30,000km on the clock... and $12k isnt that large a drop from what I got it for. I would hate to buy new in this type of car.

Its got too many kilometres on it now to be a keeper so its time to look at something else.

And I tried getting a Falcon for next weekend, but nobody is running deals... will have to wait for the Grand Prix
Old 16 Jan 2004, 14:59 (Ref:840482)   #13
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I'm not really sure the Avalon counts as a 'poverty pack'.

I small Honda would go down nicely, get a second hand one with the VTi motor and you will be humming. If a new Large car is what your after, the Falcon is the way to go.

A few months back, I rented a car (cars) for 9 weeks. I spent coniderable time in the Magna, Commodore and Falcon.

Never been a Magna fan, but was pleasantly suprised. Nice power and seemed nice enough, but not convinced enought o buy one. The resell problem being a majot factor. If you were keeping it for a loooong time, out it back on the shopping list.

The Commodore and Falcon were both nice, and whichever one you got you would be happy enough.

But the Falcon is the winner. Newer and better. Nothing like the AU (thank god).
Old 16 Jan 2004, 19:23 (Ref:840776)   #14
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would vote, but you only included Aussie cars.....
Old 17 Jan 2004, 09:26 (Ref:841353)   #15
Mattracer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluebottle
I would vote, but you only included Aussie cars.....
Not that there's anything wrong with that

Throw in your preferences

Old 17 Jan 2004, 22:09 (Ref:841885)   #16
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My thoughts on 'extra's in cars are a little bit away from the norm..
Leather seats, I don't like them much, certainly not for an everyday car!
Stereo, I like a good sound system but I'd rather do it myself.
electric everything, more stuff to go wrong- I tend to keep cars for much longer than the 'average motorist' (whatever that may be) so I look for things which are going to last the distance. Electric windows are nice when they work but a pain when they don't, same with electric mirrors etc...etc.

If I was buying new I would go for something with base- level trim and the top level engine, I tend not to worry about resale value because I would prefer to keep it untill it has 'classic' value

Last edited by Bluebottle; 17 Jan 2004 at 22:09.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 22:15 (Ref:841886)   #17
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
That hasn't really answered the question has it?
I was thinking of the car I might buy as the every day family casr and load lugger, no point in anything other than the basic there, exept perhaps for AC TO driver and passengers comfortable on long runs...
Cars for fun might be a different matter, having said that...my 'fun car' has no leather, no stereo, no electric anything, no brake servo,no soundproofing, no roof.....
Old 17 Jan 2004, 22:28 (Ref:841898)   #18
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer

No not even close. Commodore has the best resale followed by Camry, Falcon and Magna bring up the rear. The Magna's are dreadful for resale value. But they are an excellent bargin if you are looking for a cheap family car. TJ Magna's with 50000km + will only get $11000 to $12500 max
Old 8 Feb 2004, 06:19 (Ref:866836)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Hows about this for a nicely shaped, coloured & accessorised car??

Pic courtesy of www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au
Attached Thumbnails
imagegallery_lge_1_16.jpg  
Old 8 Feb 2004, 19:12 (Ref:867280)   #20
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Maybe it's just the angle or the lighting, but that thing looks like it's had a heafty whack with an Ugly Stick!!
Old 8 Feb 2004, 20:44 (Ref:867392)   #21
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By "Poverty Pack" I thought you meant a six pack of beer !!

Last edited by fast95pony; 8 Feb 2004 at 20:44.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 00:58 (Ref:867636)   #22
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Maybe it's just the angle or the lighting, but that thing looks like it's had a heafty whack with an Ugly Stick!!
I agree, it looks as though it comes 'pre-crashed'
Old 9 Feb 2004, 06:23 (Ref:867804)   #23
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
It wasn't just a wack Bluebottle, it was beaten beyond recognition and that is the result
Old 10 Feb 2004, 08:43 (Ref:869172)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Okies dokes... so the face is something only a mother could love... hows about a look at its posterior... sourced from the same location...
Attached Thumbnails
imagegallery_lge_2_16.jpg  
Old 10 Feb 2004, 08:47 (Ref:869177)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Well hows about the wagon then? Oops, sorry.. Estate
Attached Thumbnails
imagegallery_lge_4_6.jpg