Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 4 Mar 2004, 18:42 (Ref:893781)   #1
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'NEW' Autosport Magazine

Does that 'All New' Autosport also have a new price?

I haven't had a chance to get to my local newsagents today.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 19:15 (Ref:893820)   #2
AndyM
Racer

AndyM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope, still £2.80
Old 4 Mar 2004, 19:28 (Ref:893832)   #3
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats a surprise. Normally when Haymarket revamp Autosport or Motorsport News they revamp the price.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 19:35 (Ref:893840)   #4
AndyM
Racer

AndyM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was expecting a price-hike when I got mine this morning, quite surprised myself.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 21:49 (Ref:893999)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I't's not all that different. two extra pages and a slightly neater layout.

But they have destroyed the logo!
Old 4 Mar 2004, 22:06 (Ref:894022)   #6
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, it looks like a basic font from Word... Hope the rest of the mag doesn't go 'downmarket'...
Old 4 Mar 2004, 22:12 (Ref:894031)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And may I say how unimpressed I am by the drawing of Sennas McLaren on page 44!
Old 5 Mar 2004, 18:29 (Ref:895155)   #8
John McIlroy
Rookie

John McIlroy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You may. Although we said in the ads that have run for the last two weeks that the price wouldn't be going up, so that shouldn't have come as a surprise, to be honest...

John
Old 5 Mar 2004, 19:03 (Ref:895188)   #9
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite like the new look. A good freshen up every now and then is always a good idea.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 08:43 (Ref:895622)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its still Autoschueysport as far as I'm concerned......
Old 6 Mar 2004, 10:59 (Ref:895719)   #11
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately I agree with you. Tons of pages and pages of F1 stuff and then what else - at the best a 3 page report on a race of a different sort I'm starting to think about stopping my subscription...

As for the 'new look' I don't like that much either.

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 6 Mar 2004, 11:06 (Ref:895728)   #12
John McIlroy
Rookie

Actually the IRL report is four pages. We've bumped that up for this season. And there are also features on WRC, Sportscars and ETCC in this week's mag, as well as the Bentley track test.

I'm obviously interested to hear people's views but equally, I don't want them just to hear sweeping generalisations without me having a chance to put our case across as well. Schuey's actually only 'featured' on six pages in total, including news and a spread in our 'Greatest Grand Prix Drivers of All Time'. Out of 112 pages, I wouldn't say that's dominating the mag...

John
Old 6 Mar 2004, 11:13 (Ref:895739)   #13
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by John McIlroy
John,
Take a look at your own questions thread in National and Club Racing
diz
Old 6 Mar 2004, 11:26 (Ref:895766)   #14
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
I know F1 is seen as the top of world Motor Sport and I know you need to contribute to it but sometimes your reports on the FIAGT's for example are only a page long! Maybe this isn't always the case and yes I can see that the IRL is four pages (I just looked) but the images are rather big too. I've been getting Autosport for a while now whether it be in the shops or more recently subscription and I am impressed with what you put into it but I think I'd just like to see a bit more on some of the worlds other motor sports.

(By the way the last two weeks I've got Autosport on a friday, is this something to do with Autosport or just the mail service? I wasn't sure)

Old 6 Mar 2004, 11:44 (Ref:895790)   #15
John McIlroy
Rookie

It's not always the case. Generally last year we either ran a spread or a single on ETCC/FIA GTs. One meeting and we've one correspondent there. With more budget I'd love to send two people to each one and devote a three-page report to each, but...

I note your point, though.

John
Old 6 Mar 2004, 12:17 (Ref:895827)   #16
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I liked the feature on Mcrae's test in the Bentley feature, any chance you could get him into to do any more tests in the future?
Old 6 Mar 2004, 12:39 (Ref:895854)   #17
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
John, I actually very much like what you have done with the mag during your short tenure. The increased concentration on the techincal aspects of F1 in particular I find particularly good.

However, I did find the Greatest of all Time feature this week to be a little strange. It felt a bit like filler to me really with the usual arguments about the usual people put forward in the usual way. We see these so often in the various magazines during the course of a season that it would be nice to see an alternative perspective, perhaps looking in more detail at the drivers that statistically don't come close to close to the title of all time great, but that everyone know's could well have been had circumstances been different (a la Gilles Villenueve, whom the feature only briefly touched on).

Anyway, I'm sure we all appreciate the opportunity to voice views to you. I'll look forward to reading Mr Roebuck's race report on Thursday .
Old 6 Mar 2004, 13:40 (Ref:895935)   #18
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Having said what I did though, I do like your 'Week in pictures' part of the mag at the front.

Old 6 Mar 2004, 14:50 (Ref:895977)   #19
John McIlroy
Rookie

Oversteer,

Colin has agreed to do more track tests for us this year but we have to come up with ideas - needless to say, we're working on it!

And Guy Smith will also be testing cars for us - we're kind of hoping to alternate them.

By the way, Damon, Nigel Roebuck stopped doing our race reports at the end of 2002. It's Mark Hughes now. But Nigel's double-length Fifth Column will still be in the mag, of course, next week.

John
Old 6 Mar 2004, 15:29 (Ref:896000)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

There's been a lot of criticisms here John, but fundamentally the magazine is still the best out there by miles and I for one will continue to buy. It beats F1 bloody racing and all that anyways!
Old 6 Mar 2004, 15:34 (Ref:896008)   #21
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Shows how much I've been concentrating! I always enjoy what Nigel has to say as, more often than not, it echoes exactly what I feel .

Knowlesy, watch the F1 Racing bashing, that's their sister mag!
Old 6 Mar 2004, 15:38 (Ref:896015)   #22
mark_l
Veteran

England
I would prefer it if the small items of news in the columns were all grouped according to category and headlined, as in the old style.

In this weeks issue, in the same column of news you can go from FIA GT to World Nissan to BTCC, Too confusing for me.

I get the feeling that there are too many filler items (Jordan f1 history,for example) and large pictues filling up space that should be given over to print.

I'll give it another few weeks to iron out the teething problems, after that it may sit on the newsagents shelf.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 15:43 (Ref:896023)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Damon

Knowlesy, watch the F1 Racing bashing, that's their sister mag!
oops....
Old 6 Mar 2004, 19:37 (Ref:896188)   #24
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't mind large pictures etc. and even filler articles and the like, as long as they are not all F1 related. Lets face it F1 has saturation coverage, and even the hard core fans aree becoming a little sick of it.

I've never been a huge F1 fan, even less so now. I do find myself skipping through 40/50% of the mags F1 coverage and concentrating on the sportscar, rallying, touring car and historic/national coverage.

As for the increased IRL coverage, I realise there are a few UK drivers in there now, but who in the UK actually takes any notice of the series?
Old 6 Mar 2004, 19:53 (Ref:896209)   #25
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
me? After meeting "dazza" manning at the Brands Cart race last year, kinda got real interest from me now. Plus i think the cars are quite technically ineteresting...

Last edited by Try Hard; 6 Mar 2004 at 19:54.