Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 5 Jan 2007, 21:35 (Ref:1807776)   #1
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Audi / LMS in 07

Probably from left field! I ran across a tidbit in wikipedia while researching the DTM. Saying that with the pullout of GM (Opel) in 06 that the DTM was in some jeopardy in 07 with their T.V. contracts because they required 3 marques! Has this been resolved and if not could that be part of Audi's specific want of media exposure in the LMS in 07?

L.P.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 21:49 (Ref:1807782)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Probably from left field! I ran across a tidbit in wikipedia while researching the DTM. Saying that with the pullout of GM (Opel) in 06 that the DTM was in some jeopardy in 07 with their T.V. contracts because they required 3 marques! Has this been resolved and if not could that be part of Audi's specific want of media exposure in the LMS in 07?

L.P.
Perhaps you can try and connect the dots for me a little better. I have no idea what connection you are trying to make between a potentially negative situation in DTM's TV coverage, and the lack of media exposure in the LMS.

What is it you are trying to suggest.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 21:55 (Ref:1807785)   #3
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Perhaps you can try and connect the dots for me a little better. I have no idea what connection you are trying to make between a potentially negative situation in DTM's TV coverage, and the lack of media exposure in the LMS.

What is it you are trying to suggest.
Because of the loss(possible?) of media covrage of DTM, Audi was trying to secure media coverage for the LMS program. Hence the posturing with the ACO? And maintain media exposure for the company.

L.P.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 23:30 (Ref:1807852)   #4
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
It is a stretch at best, perhaps a fantasy, to think that any loss in media coverage in DTM, is potentially being used by Audi, to leverage the ACO into convincing those covering DTM, to cover LMS instead.... my head spins.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 23:45 (Ref:1807860)   #5
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
It is a stretch at best, perhaps a fantasy, to think that any loss in media coverage in DTM, is potentially being used by Audi, to leverage the ACO into convincing those covering DTM, to cover LMS instead.... my head spins.
Sorry I guess I did not do a very good job of explaining.

They are seperate issues tied together by Audi's desire of media coverage.
Audi is possibly losing media coverage in the DTM.
So to maintain some media coverage for the company(Audi). Audi has stated to the ACO that their (ACO) media package needs to be better. Not trying to leverage the media company but the ACO because they desire the coverage.
Hope thats clearer!

L.P.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 05:10 (Ref:1807945)   #6
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They paid Premiere, a German Pay-TV channel, last year to provide full Le Mans coverage for free and this could not have been cheap. Should the TV terms change for DTM and neither Mercedes nor Audi cough up the money to keep its TV spot, an Audi move towards LMS seems possible.

Gumpert Apollo entering the DTM as rumoured on Wikipedia? I don't think they have that kind of money.
Alfa? Seeing as they keep their finger remotely on WTCC and will produce a GT2 8c I can't see them pumping millions into DTM.

Perhaps the manufacturers interested in the LMS and Le Mans will at some point found a joint venture to foot the TV bill. Audi, Peugeot and Spyker alone should have quite a bit of money and I personally feel like there is a sportscar/GT racing revival ahead for the next decade.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 09:01 (Ref:1807995)   #7
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Don't know whether the "3 manufacturers"issue is still live but if I recall correctly the stillborn MG / Zytek project was designed to address that and it was funded, not by MG or Zytek but the DTM organisers`
Old 6 Jan 2007, 09:37 (Ref:1808014)   #8
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Another rumoured contender was Toyota. It would be actually the manufacturer where it'd make the most sense, but I don't know how much money they really want to blow on racing programmes, seeing as they are involved in quite a few and provide ample budgets there.

My guess is that 2007 will look and run just like 2006 and that Audi might slowly shift focus towards LMS for 2008.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 10:06 (Ref:1808031)   #9
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at it a slightly different way, maybe if the DTM series adopted the ACO rules, then became a regional series of sprint races, the problem of costs that affect both the (A)LMs DTM would be reduced as the costs of car development would be split between at least 3 seperate arenas.

Audi could race their R10 in the important home market as well as on a world stage.
Merc would have to design and build a new car clearly but as they pretty much do that every year anyway I don't see it as too much of a issue when you consider any new car would also be suitable to race in the USA as well.

The DTM (or DRM) would also then also be open to Porsche, that would increase the likey number of entrants, you could potentially also throw in Honda from the ALMs not to mention the many people like Creation, Peasa etc with ready to run deals.

Idealist I know, but it did happen in the 80's when the DRM had entrants from all the major GrpC teams, TWR Jag, Lancia, Porsche, Sauber/Merc and Zakspeed Ford these teams had some amazing races like the Norisring 200 to contend with massive crowds.

Last edited by Nordic; 6 Jan 2007 at 10:08.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 13:15 (Ref:1808161)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
There werre indeed some issues about TV coverage because there are only 2 manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
Don't know whether the "3 manufacturers"issue is still live but if I recall correctly the stillborn MG / Zytek project was designed to address that and it was funded, not by MG or Zytek but the DTM organisers`
It was partly funded by ITR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian
Another rumoured contender was Toyota. It would be actually the manufacturer where it'd make the most sense, but I don't know how much money they really want to blow on racing programmes, seeing as they are involved in quite a few and provide ample budgets there.

My guess is that 2007 will look and run just like 2006 and that Audi might slowly shift focus towards LMS for 2008.
According rumours Lexus/Toyota has tested an Opel DTM car in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
Looking at it a slightly different way, maybe if the DTM series adopted the ACO rules, then became a regional series of sprint races, the problem of costs that affect both the (A)LMs DTM would be reduced as the costs of car development would be split between at least 3 seperate arenas.

Audi could race their R10 in the important home market as well as on a world stage.
Merc would have to design and build a new car clearly but as they pretty much do that every year anyway I don't see it as too much of a issue when you consider any new car would also be suitable to race in the USA as well.

The DTM (or DRM) would also then also be open to Porsche, that would increase the likey number of entrants, you could potentially also throw in Honda from the ALMs not to mention the many people like Creation, Peasa etc with ready to run deals.

Idealist I know, but it did happen in the 80's when the DRM had entrants from all the major GrpC teams, TWR Jag, Lancia, Porsche, Sauber/Merc and Zakspeed Ford these teams had some amazing races like the Norisring 200 to contend with massive crowds.
After their latest LM "adventures" I don't think Mercedes has interest in sportscar racing.