Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Sep 2000, 10:48 (Ref:36107)   #1
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Judging from what happened in the morning warm-up today (where he was quickest), Ricardo Zonta will do one extra stop in the race because of his low grid position and his rapid straight line speed, hence trying to emulate Barrichello from the German GP. With a lighter fuel load he will be able to make more passing, I hope we'll get to see some of that and not just the frontrunners. This is good strategy from the BAR team, Villeneuve is already up there from the start, and they've got nothing to loose by trying a different strategy for Zonta. It will be interesting to see how it works out, perhaps both BAR cars could get a good result today. (A heavy fuel load from the start seems to be what the big teams think will be most benefitial though.)
Old 10 Sep 2000, 11:07 (Ref:36111)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It should be noted that Jacques engine blew up big time in the warm up. Maybe they have other problems to worry about than the Mercs and Ferraris.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 11:18 (Ref:36112)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by R
This is good strategy from the BAR team
This sounds suspicious for the already gone Zonta...

Old 10 Sep 2000, 11:27 (Ref:36114)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Jacques' engine blows up big time, I daresay The Jacques Fan Club a.k.a. British-American Racing are not going to care what happens to Zonta. If they let him drive his heart out and just don't forbid him to beat Jacques, that's all he will need.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 12:40 (Ref:36123)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Well you can't complain about BAR giving Villeneuve the better equipment today! Although as I type this Zonta is catching Verstappen for third. I wonder how Villeneuve would take having his teammate get the team's first pordium.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 13:45 (Ref:36129)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not quite a podium for Zonta, but didn't he drive a storming race! I think he will go to McLaren for the test driving position, catch his breath and self confidence out of sight of his critics, and in 2002 he will be back in the mix. He's not that old - he can do it.

Well driven today, Ricardo, and keep smiling!

P.S. Was that perfect timing for Louise to ask Jacques how he felt about Zonta's race, just after Jacques had blown up? It's a wonder he didn't stomp away.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 14:18 (Ref:36148)   #7
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a great question. I would almost be willing to have Ralf finnish in fourth and Zonta on the podium just to see JV's reaction!

Key word:almost
Old 10 Sep 2000, 16:08 (Ref:36230)   #8
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

An excellent showing from Zonta - give him a decent car and enough motivation and the guy is a star. As we've said before, BAR was a mistake for him. Had he started at Jordan or Minardi, I think the Zonta saga would be a much happier one.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 21:05 (Ref:36294)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
You have to feel bad for Villeneuve today. If you look at his lap times, they were on par with Hakkinen. He was on his way to a sure 3rd or even 2nd place.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 22:53 (Ref:36363)   #10
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good prediction, R! My guess is your a refueller at BAR?

Anyway Zonta's light first stint proved to be great, marching through the field very fast up to third.
But after that when he came in for what proved to be his first stop they filled him up light again. In my opinion that's 'a Barrichello', Ferrari gives him when he's too close to the Michael.

Why in the world didn't they fill him up then?
His stop would have cost him 5 seconds more but he would have made it in any case to fourth and maybe even third. This strategy gained him maybe 5 seconds and another 5 on the track, but cost him 15 more in the end. A real pity I guess.
Old 11 Sep 2000, 17:37 (Ref:36483)   #11
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dino IV
Good prediction, R! My guess is your a refueller at BAR?
Hehe! I wish...

I have to agree with what you're saying though, makes sense. That BAR was quick today, and your suggestion would probably have got the team a better result.