Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jun 2006, 11:25 (Ref:1632357)   #1
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is Pat Symonds a genius?

I think he probably is.
That Renault is just so good; it's (old-fashioned) mechanical grip seems to be well ahead and Alonso seemed like he could work it so hard; the McLaren a bit more nervous and the Ferrari curiously inert in comparison.
As a team, they're confident, relaxed and seem to reflect the way Symond's attitude comes across.
Boy, is that outfit on the top of their game right now? Something special going on, and not just as a result of winning.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 11:36 (Ref:1632364)   #2
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its hard to be certain how much of their current form is down to Alonso - if you look at Fisi's results the Renault doesn't look quite such a great car. In Fernando's hands though, it is just superb and the team as a whole are definitely the class of the field.

For the life of me I cannot understand why Alonso is going to McLaren - he's going to be pretty sick if Webber gets the 2007 title in a Renault.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1632369)   #3
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of the points I made over the weekend was that it looks like, and I maybe entirely wrong, that if you put either Kimi or MS in the Renault, they could do the winning too. Maybe wrong, but that Renault looks the fastest package.
(I couldn't be a bigger fan of Alfonso, no belittling intended. A wonderful racer, amazingly consistant.)
Old 12 Jun 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1632371)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think Alonso committed to McLaren at the time it was rumoured Renault might pull out of F1, hence the early move by him.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1632372)   #5
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Its hard to be certain how much of their current form is down to Alonso - if you look at Fisi's results the Renault doesn't look quite such a great car. In Fernando's hands though, it is just superb and the team as a whole are definitely the class of the field.
Thats a good question, but if you look back at 2004, Alonso and Trulli seemed fairly evenly matched. Trulli hasnt exactly been able to replicate that with Toyota though.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1632378)   #6
NO1SPECIAL
Racer

NO1SPECIAL has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Genius? Maybe, maybe not, I don't know. Hard to ignore their current form though.

I also tend to think MS or KR would be winning in that car - along with some other drivers, but that's a discusson for another thread.

Now, the point about mechanical grip is interesting, and I was thinking about this earlier. Like, what on earth is mechanical grip? How can two cars the same weight running the same tyres have vastly different levels of it? Does it all come down to suspension? I was going to start a thread on this in hopes that someone with the knowledge might explain further, but this will do just as well.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 12:11 (Ref:1632396)   #7
gfm
Veteran

Mechanical grip is not just as a result of the suspension; it's to do with the whole way the car is designed, all the weights, distributions and measures computations.
And no the differences are never 'vast'. What was the diffence between the first two at Silverstone at the end? But if you start with good basic grip and then work the aeros, it's great base. Watch what Alfonso can do with his car' on the limit for so long; it's so 'maliable'.
Hence my suggestion that as technical director, Mr Symonds seems to work an advantage.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 12:57 (Ref:1632438)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
For the life of me I cannot understand why Alonso is going to McLaren - he's going to be pretty sick if Webber gets the 2007 title in a Renault.
Yeah, there's something weird about both of that...