Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Aug 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2277139)   #1
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Food at Circuits

I realise that this is a more general topic than just for historics! The food at most circuits is rubbish are far too expensive. The average burger and coke is at least twice what you would pay on the high street.
It's difficult to get anything remotely healthy as well.

At the 90s Silverstone Classics the progamme used to list the maximum proces allowed for each item, it was still more than you would pay esle where but it kept it under control!
Old 29 Aug 2008, 00:23 (Ref:2277191)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I rarely buy food at race track, because it's rubbish and way overpriced. I pack an esky with cold drinks, fruit and sandwich fillings and buy a loaf of fresh bread on the way to the track.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 04:30 (Ref:2277249)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Then there's beer, frits, mayo and waffles at Spa.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 06:39 (Ref:2277274)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the best circuit food by a country mile is Goodwood where they have organic burgers... other than that the drivers caff at Silverstone is ok
Old 29 Aug 2008, 06:57 (Ref:2277279)   #5
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Breakfast @ Mallory is legendary
Old 29 Aug 2008, 07:15 (Ref:2277284)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Silverstone brekkys are pretty good in the cafe

Goodwood drivers mess is a marvelous respite from the toils of a days racing!

we always pack a cool box, I must have had a funny moment to have spent the ludicrous amount of money I did on some road kill at Oulton, I didn't even eat it, that should be illegal, or better still food poisoning cause an accident and the driver sue the cafe!
Old 29 Aug 2008, 09:20 (Ref:2277330)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At the food trailer by the pedestrian footbridge, I thought the price of food at the Silverstone Classic was marginally on the high side until I went to the British GT round there a couple of weeks ago! Just for once I had decided not to take a packed lunch! Burger and Chips - £8.50!!!! Needless to say, I went for something else - a breakfast baguette at £5.50 - not brilliant, but slightly better value! Back to packed lunches now!
Old 29 Aug 2008, 09:37 (Ref:2277338)   #8
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
At the food trailer by the pedestrian footbridge, I thought the price of food at the Silverstone Classic was marginally on the high side until I went to the British GT round there a couple of weeks ago! Just for once I had decided not to take a packed lunch! Burger and Chips - £8.50!!!! Needless to say, I went for something else - a breakfast baguette at £5.50 - not brilliant, but slightly better value! Back to packed lunches now!
As others have said - the Diner in the Silverstone paddock is good quality and reasonably priced. Avoid the food stalls elsewhere other than at Goodwood where the burgers are very tasty.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 09:51 (Ref:2277350)   #9
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Nothing wrong with All Day Breakfast at Snet.Perfect on Test Days
Old 29 Aug 2008, 09:54 (Ref:2277351)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
Breakfast @ Mallory is legendary

See-ing as most meals are cooked on site,I'd have said they were the best in the country,not just the breakfasts.Silverstone cafe,I think is only very average.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 10:13 (Ref:2277367)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, the Snet breakfasts are good!
Old 29 Aug 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2277555)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
On Sunday night at Oulton Park I had medium rare organic Fillet steak, Liguine with pesto and a bottle of Bordeaux superiere.

about £15

I did have to take a cooker with me though
Old 29 Aug 2008, 18:03 (Ref:2277597)   #13
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
On Sunday night at Oulton Park I had medium rare organic Fillet steak, Liguine with pesto and a bottle of Bordeaux superiere.
Next time you're at Oulton, I'll join you!
Old 29 Aug 2008, 18:20 (Ref:2277607)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Then there's beer, frits, mayo and waffles at Spa.
How much is the goat though?
Old 29 Aug 2008, 18:31 (Ref:2277614)   #15
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I tend to steer clear of burger vans at circuits for all but coffee.

Combe, Silverstone and especially Mallory do good breakfasts which is usually enough for a days motorsport.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 19:08 (Ref:2277643)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Waffles at Spa . . .everyone waffles after a few drinks in Espers Hospitality Hangar!

I think I've got an idea to make a decent iving, rather than be an engineer I'll wine and dine competitors at circuits, Waitrose quality, Lidl prices !
Old 29 Aug 2008, 19:49 (Ref:2277671)   #17
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is how the Kentagon started at Brands. Full service with waiters and posh food.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 21:19 (Ref:2277727)   #18
Benny1664
Racer

Benny1664 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, I may not know about the quality but I can assure you that the price is not due to the burger vans themselves, its due to the circuits. I think that you would fall over if you knew how much the circuits charged these food wagons to come in, even for small events. Therefore to try and recoup costs they need to charge high prices. I work in the events industry and I know a small event of around 6000 people and the ice cream van is charged £800 up front to go there. Thats a lot of ice creams needed to be sold to even break even and you never know what the weather will do and if the crowds will come..
Old 30 Aug 2008, 08:06 (Ref:2277904)   #19
sidsnot
Rookie

sidsnot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Miserable sods! Leave your picnic baskets at home. When visiting motor racing circuits the correct thing to do is; turn up, pay up and smile!
By supporting the Circuit cafe, burger vans, local pubs, filling station etc. We do a lot to help the circuits survive. There is a whole new thread there somewhere
Old 30 Aug 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2277909)   #20
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only one circuit the food is wholesome and reasonably priced: Mallory on Wednesday's. BBQ or motorhome/caravan/tent for any other occasion, The Coombe for breakfast? the Lord help your stomach and all those in the vicinity!
Old 30 Aug 2008, 11:14 (Ref:2278003)   #21
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Being a Frenchman food is very important to me. I must say that, absent Goodwood, the food at most British circuits is woeful. Food in London, however, is as good as anywhere in the world. So the British have proved that they can produce brilliant food. Why not at racing circuits?

The food this year at the Mugello cafe was fabulous, Nurburgring is always good for drivers and mechanics (and free) BUT the best in the world is Delta's BBQ at Spa which includes great salads. Sorry I cannot be with you this year.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 11:24 (Ref:2278010)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves
So the British have proved that they can produce brilliant food.
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Always have been able to produce good food. That myth is rather similar to the other one which is, the French only eat frogs. Both wrong. Beef Wellington anybody?

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic

That said I agree the quality at most meetings is dire. Delta, where's this year's Bar B?
Old 30 Aug 2008, 15:35 (Ref:2278128)   #23
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I've only ever been to two foreign circuits, Croix and Spa, for the normal day time café food they are both on a par with British circuits, quite poor and expensive IMHO, this was before the pound plummeted so they will now be poor and very expensive.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 16:28 (Ref:2278146)   #24
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At American road courses I've had a lot of good food.

In contrast, NZ, Australia and the UK, every circuit I've been to there, the food is appalling.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 16:59 (Ref:2278171)   #25
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mallory breakfasts are just as good as everybody says, and the staff are very pleasant as well. The frites at Spa are very good - they fry the potatoes on a moderate heat to cook them, and then flash fry them in very hot oil to order. They're great with that spicy mayo, and a Merguez.

I suspect Compte Michel de Graves may have sensibly anaesthetised his tastebuds with a pastis or two, prior to the Delta barbecue.