Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 16 Jul 2005, 03:23 (Ref:1356637)   #1
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
800cc

What sort of changes in lap times is the change from 990cc to 800cc for the MotoGP bikes? Is it likely to make the bikes slower than the superbikes? If so, do people think that it will be detrimental to it's image as the premier motorcycle class?
Old 16 Jul 2005, 11:55 (Ref:1356775)   #2
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Currently difference between MotoGP and 250cc (roughly equiv to 500cc four strokes, I think) is around 4%, it is to say around 4s in normal length tracks (1m40s laptimes). This in medium-fast or medium-slow circuits type Catalunya and Jerez.

Thus, I suppose 800cc will bring an increase of around 1s-2s in lap times. I don't know how fast are superbikes these days, though.

I would be afraid of this reduction in HP because with the increasing use of the damn electronics, it would be probably easier to ride on the limit... and that limit would be less spectacular.
Old 16 Jul 2005, 14:10 (Ref:1356831)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd just wish they go back to the 2-stroke 500cc configuration, it was different from everything else outside MotoGP racing.
Now they're just high-tech superbikes...
Old 18 Jul 2005, 09:38 (Ref:1357622)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think its a good idea, but I thouhgt the general idea was to decrease the size of the fuel tanks on the big cc bikes, as next year.
I think making the bikes 800cc wil just up the rev ceiling even higher and also make the biikes powerband narrower.
It might the bieks harder to ride and ore peaky as a result. The prolem ow is that the power is so instant that the tyres break tarction instantly and that is why you are seeing more traction control
Old 18 Jul 2005, 10:35 (Ref:1357657)   #5
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't belive that reducing their capacity by a fifth will do THAT much, and alas, the 800ccs won't be a return to the lightswitch throttle days according to Vale, but logic would dictate what chunder stated to be true! All hail the highside! All Hail! All Hail!