Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jul 2018, 11:09 (Ref:3836039)   #1216
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Do you have a link?
I think this is it...

https://youtu.be/ReVb5P0mdds

I was intrigued by the same comment above, so I watched the video earlier this week.

Richard
Old 11 Jul 2018, 12:05 (Ref:3836055)   #1217
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I think this is it...

I was intrigued by the same comment above, so I watched the video earlier this week.

Richard
Thanks for that.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 10:28 (Ref:3836268)   #1218
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The King of Spain has an issue on it, my friends.
And he has to defend his nobleman vassal.
Is his duty...
Old 12 Jul 2018, 11:33 (Ref:3836282)   #1219
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think this is it...

Richard
And your thoughts after watching it?
Old 12 Jul 2018, 23:15 (Ref:3836405)   #1220
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting interview with two gentlemen there
Old 13 Jul 2018, 15:21 (Ref:3836493)   #1221
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
And your thoughts after watching it?
There was a delay between me seeing the suggestion to watch and me actually watching. During that delay I ended up forgetting "why" it came up. So I watched it somewhat cold with knowing what to pay attention to. Additionally its been a few days now since I watched it, so some details are already forgotten!

The interview was over an hour long and it left me wanting more info. Overall, it was a handful of misc anecdotes. I left with the general impression that...

* Ross was very much in charge
* He had a plan to move forward and had a good working relationship with Honda.
* That he was able to level set the performance of the overall car for the team.
* That included feedback to Honda that the existing engine was NOT competitive (contrary to what Honda had thought.)
* The focus was on 2009 and for the most part the 2008 package was ignored. It was clearly a building year.
* That the stars aligned very much properly for it them to achieve success in 2009
* That there were very short of cash and did little or no development to the 2009 package for quite a long time after the season started.
* Honda did their best to provide a soft landing for the team.
* Ross seems relatively humble and having his name on the team was both embarrassing and a source of pride.

Given your question to me above, I had to look at earlier posts to see why you brought it up. Which was basically a question of "What might it have been if Honda had remained." Clearly we will never know for sure, but thinking back to the interview some things jump out at me...

The plan was for 2008 to be a "rebuilding year" for the entire solution. So the focus was on 2009. And given the feedback to Honda from Ross, and that they seemed to have a good working relationship, that had to include improvements to the engine. The 2008 car used the RA808E engine. I seem to find evidence online that talks about a RA809E engine. Which I assume would have been the Honda engine for the 2009 car. I assume they listened to the feedback from Ross/team about the deficiencies with the 2008 engine. Plus, it is clear that Ross engaged Honda to provide them with an engine even after Honda said they were leaving. But it came across a less about Honda saying we can't, but rather that they wanted out completely. Additionally as mentioned above, the team struggled to develop the car during 2009 due to lack of funds.

If Honda had stayed, they would have still had the good double diffuser car. The RA809E engine... who knows. At a minimum it likely would have been better than 2008 and clearly would have integrated into the car better than the Mercedes unit. So it may be a wash or not much of a hindrance? They likely would have had a budget to develop the car mid-season much more than they did as Brawn. So I wouldn't beat against a Honda 2009 championships in an alternative universe.

Richard
Old 14 Jul 2018, 13:07 (Ref:3836638)   #1222
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't watched it for perhaps a year but my abiding impression was the Ross was not impressed by the management structure/style that had been put into place by Honda. It is still one of the best interviews on F1 that I have seen because it covers so much of the background management and how they revived the team for the next year on a pittance even for those days and gives a huge insight into how Ross Brawn thinks.
Old 17 Jul 2018, 20:30 (Ref:3837176)   #1223
Nononsensecapeesh
Racer

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't this thread supposed to be about McLaren?
Old 17 Jul 2018, 20:44 (Ref:3837181)   #1224
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
You have only been here a few days and you are already telling regulars how to post! You will fit right in!

Seriously... Just look back a page and you will see how discussion on the current McLaren situation morphed into a discussion about Brawn. You will see that this happens from time to time but we eventually get back on topic.

And lastly... Welcome to 10/10ths and the F1 forum!

Richard
Old 17 Jul 2018, 23:17 (Ref:3837206)   #1225
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
It is,
Old 17 Jul 2018, 23:23 (Ref:3837207)   #1226
Nononsensecapeesh
Racer

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You have only been here a few days and you are already telling regulars how to post! You will fit right in!

Seriously... Just look back a page and you will see how discussion on the current McLaren situation morphed into a discussion about Brawn. You will see that this happens from time to time but we eventually get back on topic.

And lastly... Welcome to 10/10ths and the F1 forum!

Richard
I may be new to this forum but I have followed Motorsport since the age of 3, I am aware of going off subject, I'm also not surprised that McLaren have discovered their problems lie deeper than just the trials of their 2nd stint with Honda engines.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 02:55 (Ref:3837219)   #1227
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Going off track is completely in keeping with discussing McLaren. It's someone's fault and we're down a rabbit hole with bad endings and hurt feelings. And still haven't addressed the root problem, and occasionally have to change the engine (thread merge/closure but close enough) to blame others for it not working.

Yup sounds EXACTLY like McLaren.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 08:43 (Ref:3837249)   #1228
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Going off track is completely in keeping with discussing McLaren. It's someone's fault and we're down a rabbit hole with bad endings and hurt feelings. And still haven't addressed the root problem, and occasionally have to change the engine (thread merge/closure but close enough) to blame others for it not working.

Yup sounds EXACTLY like McLaren.

Old 18 Jul 2018, 10:17 (Ref:3837264)   #1229
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
This link came up with Casper's link above:

Dennis Ron 2017 MasterEdit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh2iQSU9DJE

It provides interesting insights into Ron's departure from McLaren.

Ron disagreed with his fellow shareholders over the fact that he was not prepared to place the "Technology Company" he had created at risk pursuing success in F1.

Ron wanted out of the company by the time he was 70 in order that he could pursue other interests.

He considers his exit negotiation his most successful ever, and is very satisfied with the settlement he received.

I am really interested to see what the rest of the members make of this video.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3837304)   #1230
Casper
Veteran

More insight into how management can affect a team and specifically McLaren by John Barnard. Terrible audio for part of it by the interviewer's microphone issues but a very interesting interview. Whether his POV on management is valid these days is I guess open to debate and not knowing how a F1 team is managed I will leave it to others to comment on that. I read an interview once that revolved around how big a company can get with one single person managing it and having good control and I recall the magic number was around a hundred people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UjeUo24E0g