Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 11 Oct 2020, 01:43 (Ref:4009635)   #826
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Not at the track but I live 15 minutes from it — the rain has really slowed down now.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 01:56 (Ref:4009642)   #827
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Not quite 15 minutes away, but it's been varying levels of precipitation within a few hundred yards down here.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 01:59 (Ref:4009646)   #828
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
So many f****** commercials
Old 11 Oct 2020, 02:09 (Ref:4009649)   #829
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seems about normal commercials, it's specialty cable channel. You're getting at least 20 min every hour, or you're paying thousands more to watch.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 02:15 (Ref:4009651)   #830
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Luckily I found the RLM audio video stream, so I'm good now
Old 11 Oct 2020, 02:37 (Ref:4009662)   #831
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Damn, the 4 had to have tire or suspension go there. Full power and instantly around on Milner, and hard hits.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 02:50 (Ref:4009667)   #832
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good win for the #3

Tough race
Old 11 Oct 2020, 03:01 (Ref:4009671)   #833
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Decent race, much less carnage than I expected going in.

Not sure I agree with the penalty on Hawksworth there. They'd been battling for laps but it looked like he didn't have another option and the Acura blocked him to break the momentum mid corner. Can't say I'm mad at the call and I get it but not sure I agree it was drive through worthy
Old 11 Oct 2020, 03:38 (Ref:4009679)   #834
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am just catching up on the race i recorded earlier, but kind of an interesting roval. It seems there is at least a dip in elevation on the infield section. These conditions were fun to watch as a fan from my comfy chair too! Ugh, just saw the Milner crash.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 03:44 (Ref:4009682)   #835
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nothing more irritating than the flashing rain light, it’s so bright, it actually hurts your eyes
Old 11 Oct 2020, 10:38 (Ref:4009733)   #836
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Nothing more irritating than the flashing rain light, it’s so bright, it actually hurts your eyes
That effect is accentuated by the water droplets on the lense, the wet track surface reflecting everything, the stadium lighting on the track which is like a kart track, and the cameras trying to adjust to the light show. Seizure time.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 11:03 (Ref:4009741)   #837
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Yup, the coverage was amateurish all the way 'round. Camera work and the announcers discussing the rain as unusual. For NASCAR maybe, but IMSA and most road racing???
C'mon........

Nothing like hyping it up for the "supposed" uninitiated that were "supposedly" watching. Shameful.

Last edited by jimclark; 11 Oct 2020 at 11:13.

jimclark
Old 11 Oct 2020, 12:00 (Ref:4009753)   #838
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The video is terrible with the rain and lights going. Anyone who hates night running look away

Krohn got by in the BMW and he's off like a rocket, it's not even close
Count me as one of those. Did not last long on this one. Woke up this morning intending to watch the NBC Track Pass replay. Gave up fairly quickly on this one.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 12:13 (Ref:4009757)   #839
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Good win for the #3
I know the 'vettes have gone mid-engined but they're autonomous now also???

jimclark
Old 11 Oct 2020, 12:28 (Ref:4009763)   #840
jimclark
Veteran

United States
deleted

jimclark
Old 11 Oct 2020, 12:57 (Ref:4009771)   #841
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
I know the 'vettes have gone mid-engined but they're autonomous now also???
C8R looks like is a step up from the C7R in performance. That's for sure. But it does not feel "Corvette'ish" though. Also consider that Ford is no longer there and the Porsche GT team is a shadow of what they used to be. Too bad they did not keep the previous screaming 911 RSR this year. I miss the GTLM/GTE Pro races we had from 2017-2019 version very much. Still watch many race replays from the races during those years than I have race replays in 2020.

But yeah this "golden" era of GT racing in IMSA is over. Started in the American Le Mans series after the decline of LMP prototype boom of 2007/2008 and ended at the 2019 Petit. Got worried a few years back when Dodge Viper left. Ford filled that void. But nobody to fill it this time around.

Last edited by WyldStallion; 11 Oct 2020 at 13:02.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 13:27 (Ref:4009784)   #842
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
Got worried a few years back when Dodge Viper left. Ford filled that void. But nobody to fill it this time around.
Dang....how old are you???
I've been following racing for 60 years now and I sure don't find 20ish years only a "few" years back....
And Ford didn't fill that void for another 15ish years....the 'vettes were already there.....

Seriously tho', I was referencing the "Good win for the (apparently autonomous) #3" remark.
Specifically, no mention of those useless drivers, Garcia and Taylor.

jimclark
Old 11 Oct 2020, 15:49 (Ref:4009865)   #843
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
I've been following racing for 60 years now and I sure don't find 20ish years only a "few" years back....
And Ford didn't fill that void for another 15ish years....the 'vettes were already there.....

Seriously tho', I was referencing the "Good win for the (apparently autonomous) #3" remark.
Specifically, no mention of those useless drivers, Garcia and Taylor.
Is the Corvette C8R too driver friendly that it can win with anybody? Not sure what you are referencing. The car is quite good. The exception was WEC Cota race. But that might have been to too restricted of a BoP.

How old am I? Ha Ha I got into auto racing for the first time as a youngster in 1989. So I got memories from the 1990's, 2000's, and 2010's to reference.
In previous message, referred to Viper leaving IMSA in 2014 with Ford arriving in 2016. GTLM in 2020 has not been interesting other than Daytona 24 and maybe V.I.R. Best sportscar racing on the planet since the post-lockdown restart has been GTWC Europe I think. That series is having a great year. Back to IMSA GTLM, bringing in LMP3 could actually help spice up GTLM in 2021 though. Will leave the rest of that subject for the IMSA 2021 thread.

Last edited by WyldStallion; 11 Oct 2020 at 16:02.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 16:31 (Ref:4009894)   #844
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:

And Ford didn't fill that void for another 15ish years....the 'vettes were already there....
The latest gen Vipers ran 2012-2014 and Ford brought the GT into the series in 2016.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 17:18 (Ref:4009903)   #845
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Shhh you're confusing the boomer
Old 11 Oct 2020, 18:24 (Ref:4009922)   #846
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The latest gen Vipers ran 2012-2014
Confused not.

In what series was that? And they were how competitive?

The 'vettes were already winning long before the NGT came along.

Edit: Ohhhhh...you're talking the CRAPPA show....errrr...I mean...GARRA series. Now I understand. REAL race cars were running in the ALMS and WEC/ACO.

Last edited by jimclark; 11 Oct 2020 at 18:46.

jimclark
Old 11 Oct 2020, 19:20 (Ref:4009938)   #847
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Confused not.

In what series was that? And they were how competitive?

The 'vettes were already winning long before the NGT came along.

Edit: Ohhhhh...you're talking the CRAPPA show....errrr...I mean...GARRA series. Now I understand. REAL race cars were running in the ALMS and WEC/ACO.
Well we can agree on the GARRA bit. The Daytona 24 as far as I am concerned did not exist between 2004 to 2013.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 19:30 (Ref:4009940)   #848
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's a shame, because it was good fun.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 19:38 (Ref:4009946)   #849
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
That's a shame, because it was good fun.
Agreed. I didn't like the look of the cars (although that got better with every generation of it) but the racing was still good, especially at Daytona.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 20:11 (Ref:4009962)   #850
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
The Daytona 24 as far as I am concerned did not exist between 2004 to 2013.
'Still doesn't. Nor the 12 of Sebring. We'll see about le Mans.

When serious racing is replaced by "a show", serious races cease to exist also.

The advent of BoPing to please the masses, rather than real race teams competing within a set of rules has turned auto racing into a joke.
I'd rather watch movies for my fill of fiction. At least there the shows are not pretending to be something they're not.

jimclark