Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 18 Mar 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3808971)   #101
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJM View Post
He was not stripped of his powerstage points as such. He received a 10 second penalty for cutting.
That's a better way of phrasing it. Stripped was the clickbait type headlines various websites chose to use implying something else.
Old 30 Mar 2018, 19:37 (Ref:3812010)   #102
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nasty looking testing crash for Neuville and Gilsoul in Corsica, both unhurt thankfully.

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/march...3--12-12-.html
Old 9 Apr 2018, 10:08 (Ref:3814328)   #103
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I haven't caught up on all of the coverage from Corsica yet but I see Ogier has taken another win and seemed to be in control throughout. It was a lot more interesting behind him though! Loeb showed he is human and made a mistake ending his rally, Meeke binned it again (wrong note or wrong call?), Latvala hit a tree and presumably damaged the cage so had to retire (certainly the car was still running well once they'd disentangled it from the tree so I assume cage damage as the reason for not carrying on).

From the clips I've seen a lot of the crews were mentioning their notes weren't right or they were having trouble with the notes - I guess the sheer number of corners on this event causes this problem?

I'll try and catch up on some more of the coverage - the bits I've seen were good, really impressive speeds carried through the corners and the change of direction of the cars is incredible. These new generation cars certainly deliver on tarmac!
Old 9 Apr 2018, 17:43 (Ref:3814475)   #104
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched it on WRC Live. Ogier continues to be in a different class and starting with a 44km stage that they hadn't seen before separated the field. They also recce'd that stage first and several drivers said that it gave them false expectations and they put too much into their notes and then didn't have confidence to commit. Obviously not a problem for Ogier.

Meeke said it was a call error from Nagle. Note said a L3 and Paul called a 'fast R5' - must have been a fun moment......

Yes, Latvala cage was too damaged and while they had the right people and tubes there to repair I guess the FIA decided not to certify.

Lappi had a great rally given he had never driven a WRC there before and put some of his more famous team mates to shame.

Also Evans did a great job as did Mr. Mills. Always amazes our horrified Elfyn looks in the car compared to the others who look so calm.
Old 14 Apr 2018, 13:52 (Ref:3815432)   #105
track194
Rookie

track194 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year I heard from Skoda that this year they would create a WRC SUV category alongside WRC 2 to back WRC. Well I can't find any information about that other than the ones from Skoda.
I guess it was but a rumour then?
Anyone know anything?
Old 14 Apr 2018, 15:04 (Ref:3815441)   #106
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
We already had the Mini Countryman.

I wouldn't mind seeing the 2008, C3 Aircross and Kona.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 15:05 (Ref:3816022)   #107
track194
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
We already had the Mini Countryman.

I wouldn't mind seeing the 2008, C3 Aircross and Kona.
I read it here:
http://www.autoconception.com/skoda-kodiaq-suv-to-compete-in-2018-world-rally-championship/
Old 16 Apr 2018, 15:22 (Ref:3816026)   #108
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Ken block will return to the WRC for the Catalunya rally:

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/apri-...3--12-12-.html

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on with the new generation of cars. I don't expect anything much in terms of results (he's never really shone in the WRC) but it's good to have him involved purely from a publicity point of view.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 07:26 (Ref:3816120)   #109
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah, he certainly adds something to the championship
Old 17 Apr 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3816176)   #110
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on with the new generation of cars. I don't expect anything much in terms of results (he's never really shone in the WRC) but it's good to have him involved purely from a publicity point of view.
Yeah, he is sure to bring more attention to the current crop of WRCars, which I would say is a good thing. Not sure if his particular car will make it to the end of the rally though...
Old 17 Apr 2018, 13:59 (Ref:3816181)   #111
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Now the Kodiaq is too big for WRC. It would better fit the Dakar and FIA Cross-Country.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 19:15 (Ref:3816234)   #112
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Yeah, he is sure to bring more attention to the current crop of WRCars, which I would say is a good thing. Not sure if his particular car will make it to the end of the rally though...
Agreed - the lack of testing before the event isn't going to help his chances either.

Quote:
Now the Kodiaq is too big for WRC. It would better fit the Dakar and FIA Cross-Country.
Definitely - it's not a WRC type of vehicle - the Fabia is much more suitable.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 22:16 (Ref:3816260)   #113
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's a question regarding Ken Block. Just how much attention is he going to bring the WRC? I actually think it's overblown, simply because he has massive views of his Gymkhanas - however, that doesn't translate to people following the WRC.

I can't recall seeing his name trending on social media when it was announced he would have some WRC outings.

The way some people go on about him, you'd think he was an Alonso or Rossi.....
Old 18 Apr 2018, 08:39 (Ref:3816311)   #114
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
He's a question regarding Ken Block. Just how much attention is he going to bring the WRC? I actually think it's overblown, simply because he has massive views of his Gymkhanas - however, that doesn't translate to people following the WRC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
The way some people go on about him, you'd think he was an Alonso or Rossi.....
I daresay the vast majority of followers of Alonso will already be F1 fans and Rossi will be MotoGP fans, but in the case of Block, I think he has a wider audience than just rally.

Look at some of the recent posts Block has made about his "new" EscCos: a lot of comments are from people who have never heard of the car before, but I don't think there is a true rally fan out there who doesn't immediately recognize the Cossie. With that in mind Block could be showing the current crop of WRCars to a wider audience who are yet to see them.

Block seems to be the marmite of motorsport. As I have said numerous times I think his marketing is both his biggest strength and weakness. Are spectator numbers likely to radically increase because of Block? Probably not, but it may turn a few more eyes to the WRC.
Old 18 Apr 2018, 10:16 (Ref:3816320)   #115
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He is just a marketing man who can drive a bit.

You cannot argue with what he has achieved, but he is not really a talent at anything other than coming up with good marketing ideas, hence the Gymkhana YouTube stuff,

But, you cant spend all year doing that and he has a raft of sponsors to keep happy, hence he will try anything that gives them exposure.
Old 18 Apr 2018, 15:09 (Ref:3816368)   #116
track194
Rookie

Quote:
But if you read the article it said it would be a new Class Championship only for SUVs...

Here I will quote it for you:
Quote:
"In addition to the successful Fabia R5 in the WRC 2 category, it also will compete in the newly-created WRC SUV category.

The category was established by the championship promoter to answer the ever-increasing popularity of SUVs. Starting from the next racing season, a new class of racing vehicles – WRC SUV – will compete alongside the current WRC and WRC 2 categories. It is reserved exclusively for vehicles derived from production SUV models."
The thing is this quite say it is a deal done but I can't find any information other than this...

Last edited by track194; 18 Apr 2018 at 15:15.
Old 18 Apr 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3816369)   #117
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
He is just a marketing man who can drive a bit.

You cannot argue with what he has achieved, but he is not really a talent at anything other than coming up with good marketing ideas, hence the Gymkhana YouTube stuff,

But, you cant spend all year doing that and he has a raft of sponsors to keep happy, hence he will try anything that gives them exposure.
As you say he's great at promoting himself - as a result he's also got enough cash to go and play in the WRC so why not? I think he's well aware of his limitations and the fact that he's never going to be a top rally driver - he just enjoys it and can afford to compete at the top level. There are worse ways to spend your money!
Old 18 Apr 2018, 19:13 (Ref:3816415)   #118
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

Monster Energy has scaled down backing?
Old 18 Apr 2018, 19:17 (Ref:3816416)   #119
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by track194 View Post
Last year I heard from Skoda that this year they would create a WRC SUV category alongside WRC 2 to back WRC. Well I can't find any information about that other than the ones from Skoda.
I guess it was but a rumour then?
Anyone know anything?

https://www.motor1.com/news/140979/2...da-kodiaq-wrc/

Have a good look on the date this was published...
Old 18 Apr 2018, 20:30 (Ref:3816422)   #120
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Monster Energy has scaled down backing?
Monster aren't interested in Block going rallying, they are putting their money towards Gymkhana Grid, Gymkhana 10 and the new Amazon series.

Block mentions it in the recent video about his EscCos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND_4oi-CPv4
Old 18 Apr 2018, 22:57 (Ref:3816435)   #121
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't have a problem with him doing WRC events, I just don't think he brings the massive publicity people say he does.
Put it this way, we're not going to see hundreds of posts on here, or any of the well known motorsport forums when he does Catalunya.....

The WRC has had Raikkonen, Rossi, Kubica - and that had very little effect. To be blunt, it's still mainly invisible.....
Old 19 Apr 2018, 07:24 (Ref:3816463)   #122
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very true, he is only doing it because he is loaded and wants to.

He was OK in rallycross, especially in the States where the talent pool is lower and occasionally over here in WRX, but in WRC and in most WRX events he was nothing special.

Just a rich guy exploiting his wealth, just like rallycross used to be!!
Old 19 Apr 2018, 14:36 (Ref:3816510)   #123
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Ken living the life we all would if we had made made millions from nothing and age 35 discovered rallying - through being a sponsor no less. He doesn't claim to be a future WRC champ or anything special. He just loves being in rally.

He may not bring huge crowds to the WRC but in the US when he and Travis compete it causes huge issues for organizers because they cannot cope with the huge crowds who show up to see them. Will happen this weekend in Oregon. Rally will always be invisible in the US but with Ken bringing crowds it makes us hobbyists feel good!

I spent a couple days training with Alex and Rhianon and you can just feel the enthusiasm Ken has for rally. He knows his natural limitations and works really hard to overcome them. He wants to be the best that he can be. I love the fact that instead of bringing an R5 to the US and being accused of 'buying wins' he is bringing an iconic car that most rally fans in the US have never seen in the flesh. He knows he is going to get his butt kicked by a lot of car/driver combos but he is doing it anyone because he is a fan first. I think this is shown by his wife Lucy also competing and in a humble R2 machine not a kick ass car that she can most definitely afford. The Block's are good people in my book.

On a tangent I am interested to see how Atkinson does this weekend vs Higgins in equal machinery. David is a phenomenal driver and great person but rarely gets beaten unless he has a non driving issue. Is Atko the man to beat him head to head?

Mark
Old 19 Apr 2018, 16:03 (Ref:3816521)   #124
track194
Rookie

Quote:

I said: last year I read"
Old 19 Apr 2018, 16:10 (Ref:3816524)   #125
track194
Rookie

Quote:

You are quoting me so I assume you read what I wrote, I said: "Las year I heard" article was published in April, 2017, we are in 2018, April, so... Last year. Don't understand your argument...