Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 10 Feb 2019, 17:57 (Ref:3882992)   #1901
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Bykolles is one big mystery...

Anyhow, if they do return to Le Mans with AER once again, and if Ginetta somehow also miraculously return with that powerplant in place of ditched Mechachrone, it will be quite a showroom for AER [to blow up]
If we could only get the two Mazdas there, it would be a full party
Old 10 Feb 2019, 19:14 (Ref:3883022)   #1902
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I said it before but there's another Nissan/Nismo engine, the VK56 that has been designated for the next lmp3 power plant. This engine is now part of endurance and has been used for the GTR GT1, V8 Supercars etc. I think especially with the new rules cutting back on the efficiency levels of today that engine would make a lot sense. I don't know what Nissan would say if asked to do it for lmp1 but it's probably a better bet with more support thanks to V8 SC and soon every lmp3.
Old 13 Feb 2019, 13:37 (Ref:3883814)   #1903
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
In case anyone is interested in going to spa for this years 6 hour, i got an email from ticketmaster stating that they have a valentines offer tomorrow only with 50% off tickets. So that means they will be just over 20 euro's each. So if you are going book tomorrow and save.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 20:25 (Ref:3884236)   #1904
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Anybody know the number of laps the Sebring WEC race is going to be? Maybe an estimated time too. This will effect strategy in LMP2 and GTE. They will have to track the laps completed by the LMP1 leader as they get towards the conclusion.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 23:00 (Ref:3884266)   #1905
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I highly doubt they will be able to reach the distance prior to the (too narrow) 8 hour window.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 23:02 (Ref:3884268)   #1906
RedSquirrel
Racer

Ireland
RedSquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Anybody know the number of laps the Sebring WEC race is going to be? Maybe an estimated time too. This will effect strategy in LMP2 and GTE. They will have to track the laps completed by the LMP1 leader as they get towards the conclusion.
The race will be 1000 miles or (I think) 9 hours, whichever comes first. 1000 miles of a 3.74 mile track is 267.38 laps, so it'll be a 268 lap race.

Incidentally, the race name - "The 1000 Miles of Sebring" - is a bit clunky. Surely it should be the "Sebring 1000"? Not only does it roll off the tongue better, it would fit with the American naming convention as well.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 23:05 (Ref:3884271)   #1907
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
The race will be 1000 miles or (I think) 9 hours, whichever comes first. 1000 miles of a 3.74 mile track is 267.38 laps, so it'll be a 268 lap race.

Incidentally, the race name - "The 1000 Miles of Sebring" - is a bit clunky. Surely it should be the "Sebring 1000"? Not only does it roll off the tongue better, it would fit with the American naming convention as well.
It's 8, not 9 (or 10 like Hindhaugh still thinks)

It's a terrible name, but that's how all the titles are built in ACO world. For example "6 Hours of Circuit of the Americas" was simply the worst - but then again, so was the event, so it was at least truthful
Old 15 Feb 2019, 18:31 (Ref:3884454)   #1908
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It's 8, not 9 (or 10 like Hindhaugh still thinks)

It's a terrible name, but that's how all the titles are built in ACO world. For example "6 Hours of Circuit of the Americas" was simply the worst - but then again, so was the event, so it was at least truthful
I went to WEC at COTA every year it was there. It was far from "the worst". How many times were you there???
Old 15 Feb 2019, 20:21 (Ref:3884471)   #1909
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Let's not go down the "if you weren't there, then you can't judge" rabbit hole because it's truly ridiculous.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 20:45 (Ref:3884478)   #1910
Deleted
Veteran

So regarding the upcoming Sebring qualifying comparisons [to IMSA], has anyone wondered what effect the night session for WEC will have? Quali will be after sun has set, so with presumably cooler conditions the P1 engines will breathe even better?
Old 16 Feb 2019, 02:08 (Ref:3884538)   #1911
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Let's not go down the "if you weren't there, then you can't judge" rabbit hole because it's truly ridiculous.
Just curious, why would it be ridiculous?

I'm just saying that I've seen a lot of people trash COTA, each time I've learned that they've never actually been there. I think it's highly disingenuous and kinda sad really to place judgment on a place that you've never actually been to.

And believe it or not, I'm not trying to pick a fight with Chiana, as I generally appreciate what he brings to the discussion.

Last edited by ATLFalconsFAN; 16 Feb 2019 at 02:13.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 02:16 (Ref:3884540)   #1912
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to the rabbit hole

The ridiculous thing is just trashing something, everything, all the time. That is chunder world.

Still, having a poor opinion of somewhere is fine, but I’ll always listen with more interest to the view of someone who enjoys something, especially when they got of their backside and actually experienced it.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 11:31 (Ref:3884589)   #1913
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Just curious, why would it be ridiculous?

I'm just saying that I've seen a lot of people trash COTA, each time I've learned that they've never actually been there. I think it's highly disingenuous and kinda sad really to place judgment on a place that you've never actually been to.

And believe it or not, I'm not trying to pick a fight with Chiana, as I generally appreciate what he brings to the discussion.
Because attending an event gives a completely different experience to viewing it from the outside. For example, I attended the Daytona 24 hours in 2006. I loved every second of it. But realistically, it's hard for me to argue it was a good event. The race wasn't that good, and nobody likes Daytona Prototypes. I also attended Long Beach in 2006, and again, I loved it, but the race itself was awful. I want to defend these events because I loved them so much, but objectively that's very hard to do because we experienced different things.

I have absolutely no doubt at all that you attended COTA and loved it. It might even be the best event you've ever been to, every year. But, it has to be said, that for those viewing on TV, the reception was generally luke-warm at best. If people aren't watching, and people aren't enjoying it, then it doesn't matter how much people at the circuit love it - it isn't going to be successful.

I don't doubt that you had an incredible time at COTA, and for all I know it could be one of the best trackside experiences in all of motorsport. But you didn't have the same type of experience as Chiana, and his opinion of his experience is still perfectly valid - as a viewer, his experience is arguably just as valuable if the series wants to have high viewing and spectating numbers. COTA, in many peoples opinions, is not a good circuit to watch on TV. It often does not provide great racing, and it certainly does feel like a circuit built to a formula (which is rare in North America).

Your experience of being at the circuit is not the norm. But just because someone has not been, it does not invalidate their experience - it just means that the circuit (or series, or coverage, or whatever is the issue) does not provide a good experience for those not at the circuit. Replacing COTA with Sebring absolutely solves that issue IMO.

I didn't mean this post to be as rambling as it is, but I'm bad at wording things.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 14:32 (Ref:3884612)   #1914
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
I appreciate your response and what you are trying to convey. I would say that I somewhat agree with you. However I think if you're going to bash on a circuit or a particular race you should preface it by saying something like, "While I was not there or haven't visited the place, from my experience watching on TV it was garbage". Like I said above, it is disingenuous to do otherwise.

And no, none of my trips to COTA added up to the best race I have ever attended, those would be Petit Le Mans 2008, Laguna Seca 2009, or Le Mans 2014.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 14:57 (Ref:3884617)   #1915
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I'm not sure it does need prefacing, because we wouldn't do it for any other sport. Very few of us will be able to attend the World Cup Final, or the Super Bowl, or the Monaco GP, or [insert other relatively exclusive event here], but we still are allowed and able to give valid opinions on it without having to qualify it.

Enjoying an event you attend is the norm. There's only one race I've ever attended that I didn't enjoy (BTCC, Donington 2005. Only around 10 cars, most of which were dreadful, and it snowed). If 250,000 people attend Le Mans, and 100m people watch Le Mans on TV, and the attendees loved it, but the TV viewers said it was rubbish, then, unfortunately, the people at the circuit don't count for much. That's how I see COTA (and Shanghai and Bahrain). Could be great if you're boots on ground. But if the majority are not enjoying it, then it's a bad plan and needs to be adjusted.

For what it's worth, I don't think COTA is as bad to watch as Shanghai, but I do think it's in the same league. They've done a good job attempting to hide the expanse of tarmac under some paint, but it's still just another stamped out Tilke circuit with corners copy and pasted from a pre-configured set. That doesn't matter when you're at the circuit because you have the sights, the sounds, the smells, the foods. But it certainly does matter when you're at home.

We're deep into the rabbit hole now
Old 16 Feb 2019, 15:45 (Ref:3884622)   #1916
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I highly doubt they will be able to reach the distance prior to the (too narrow) 8 hour window.
It will be 8 hours. Not even gonna be close to 1000 miles, around 900 probably (depending on yellows).
Old 16 Feb 2019, 20:33 (Ref:3884676)   #1917
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
I appreciate your response and what you are trying to convey. I would say that I somewhat agree with you. However I think if you're going to bash on a circuit or a particular race you should preface it by saying something like, "While I was not there or haven't visited the place, from my experience watching on TV it was garbage". Like I said above, it is disingenuous to do otherwise.

And no, none of my trips to COTA added up to the best race I have ever attended, those would be Petit Le Mans 2008, Laguna Seca 2009, or Le Mans 2014.
I also don't believe he ever said the circuit was terrible. The event was GARBAGE, it may be great trackside but it was TERRIBLE to watch and the racing shown was trash. There's a reason they aren't back and Tavo and company are in trouble. The event CAN and should be judged both in person and what's distributed, and frankly the world wide product is much more important as many more eyeballs see the event than attend.

To pretend that no one can judge an event unless they have been there is utter tripe and pretentious judgement on those who likely cannot attend every event of each series. Because by that logic no one outside of Hindy and Co can judge the WEC as I'm guessing no one not involved in the series can attend every event in person.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 07:11 (Ref:3884736)   #1918
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The last time they were there the lmp1 battle was great. The layout is dumb imo and the track has a LOT of paved run off where you can't distinguish it from the track but the on-track action did have great moments. But of course there's no doubt Sebring is a better place to be, and more than just because of the things listed against COTA aren't an issue there.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 09:44 (Ref:3884762)   #1919
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The event CAN and should be judged both in person and what's distributed, and frankly the world wide product is much more important as many more eyeballs see the event than attend.
I hate that I spent a big long post trying to explain something (badly) and you summed it up in a sentence. That quote there is why TV experience is more important than boots on ground, even though we all wish it was the other way around.

COTA suffers from not being the best NA choice. When you think Prototype racing in the US there's so many classic circuits they could've chosen, that even if COTA provided a great TV experience, the default thought would always be "Wish it was Sebring/Daytona/Road America/Road Atlanta/Watkins Glen/Laguna Seca" etc. COTA is at quite a disadvantage because NA has so so many amazing tracks.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 12:40 (Ref:3884792)   #1920
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
"Wish it was Sebring/Daytona/Road America/Road Atlanta/Watkins Glen/Laguna Seca" etc. COTA is at quite a disadvantage because NA has so so many amazing tracks.
Given the awesome alternatives, how did WEC end up at COTA anyway?
Old 17 Feb 2019, 15:05 (Ref:3884813)   #1921
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s a bit like downloads/streaming. They count, but not as much as physical sales

Also, I think they being there reaction often occurs in response to the normal negativity that is common place on the internet. For people who get out and enjoy life it can become grating. I believe we see that more than just simple dismissing.

Ah, I can see some little bunnies.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 15:29 (Ref:3884815)   #1922
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Given the awesome alternatives, how did WEC end up at COTA anyway?
WEC was determined to have Grade 1 circuits, presumably to market itself at the same corporate level as F1. Le Mans was the only Grade 2 circuit, and that is purely down to length. Although the US has many amazing tracks, I believe only Indy and COTA are Grade 1 in the US, so you have a choice of only 2 tracks. Indy and WEC never managed to get a deal together (although I believe those discussions happened long after the first COTA event anyway), which leaves only COTA available.

WEC really needed to swallow their pride to move away from the self-imposed Grade 1 only rule. And then they had to do it again to be part of the IMSA weekend. WEC needs to not abandon the hardcore fanbase in search of nice corporate boxes - hence the backlash regarding the Silverstone drop and then subsequent downgrade.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 16:25 (Ref:3885298)   #1923
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Jeroen Bleekemolen has posted clips on FaceBook of Ford GT at Sebring with Keating, Bleekemolen and Fraga names on door, and his early laps out on the circuit. In the announcement of the LeMans effort, Keating made mention of other possible events. Could they be about to announce a Sebring 1000 effort?
Old 20 Feb 2019, 00:26 (Ref:3885450)   #1924
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Keating interview on Racer, which clarifies that the effort is for LeMans only, and I shouldn't speculate...
https://racer.com/2019/02/19/keating...-gt-adventure/
Old 20 Feb 2019, 02:16 (Ref:3885454)   #1925
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Keating interview on Racer, which clarifies that the effort is for LeMans only, and I shouldn't speculate...
https://racer.com/2019/02/19/keating...-gt-adventure/
Not so fast amigo!

Quote:
the natural question is when and where Keating Motorsports via Riley Motorsports will enter their second race with the car.

“That is one of the top questions I’ve received, and my answer is ‘baby steps,’” Keating said. “We are still very young in this effort, even though we’ve announced it. Right now, I’m not looking any further beyond Le Mans. I have a hard time thinking about what’s next for the Ford GT, but it’s exciting to know I’ll own 10 sets of wheels and spare bodywork and everything I need to go and run an endurance race. I don’t want to throw out any false expectations, but it would be exciting to run it again. But I’m not sure what it will look like.”
Sounds like "Le Mans only - until Le Mans is over. And then we'll see what will be next" to me. Agreed we won't see this team-car combination before LM. But after it, all bets are on!