Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 8 Apr 2019, 21:47 (Ref:3896329)   #501
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
We have wandered off topic somewhat here
That's only because the proper topic has been talked about and now we've got a few weeks before it gets interesting again

I do find it interesting to think about how a rallycross track could fit into existing circuits. It's then that you realise how tricky it is to make these F1 tracks work.

Of course RX in the UK isn't going to be moving from Silverstone any time soon, they've put a lot of money into that new track.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 08:13 (Ref:3896378)   #502
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
I do find it interesting to think about how a rallycross track could fit into existing circuits. It's then that you realise how tricky it is to make these F1 tracks work.

Of course RX in the UK isn't going to be moving from Silverstone any time soon, they've put a lot of money into that new track.
Silverstone is slightly different - it doesn't use any of the F1 track, it's just a bit of 'bolt on' to the Stowe circuit. So doesn't damage the F1 tarmac, doesn't look all dirty on the F1 coverage because it's out of sight and is easily grassed over and forgotten about when they get bored with it.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 10:58 (Ref:3896399)   #503
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The marshalls at Silverstone reckoned that the British Championship wouldn't be back there again, but I would like to hear that from a more accurate source before I trust it!
Old 9 Apr 2019, 14:41 (Ref:3896436)   #504
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think if the show thing does not pull in any money this year it will be abandoned to be honest

it was a no risk installation, and they can probably sell the gravel etc that has been laid to speedway tracks or someone else.

IMG built and and run Speedmachine, Silverstone I would guess only get a percentage of the gate money. plus IMG wil have to hire the Wing and pit area as will MSA, and that can't be cheap, probably pushing up entry fees a lot.

If you are only using it twice a year, it can't be profitable. Silverstone did a lot of work building a stand and a viewing area covered with gravel, so they probably need to see a return.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 08:41 (Ref:3896551)   #505
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sort of on topic, but Petter announces that he won't challenge for another World Championship:

https://www.motorsport.com/world-rx/...ement/4367476/

I suspected this might happen, but still hoped we'd see Petter back full time in World RX. I guess that the plug on PSRXVW has been fully pulled now that electric isn't happening*?

(* "plug" pun not intended)
Old 10 Apr 2019, 10:33 (Ref:3896566)   #506
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would think the main reason is Oliver to be honest. I doubt Petter can manage two huge budgets.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 13:27 (Ref:3896597)   #507
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well he’s had a great career and always been a crowd pleaser. I wish him well whatever he decides to do now
Old 11 Apr 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3896745)   #508
Silhuette
Racer

Silhuette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing with bakkerud this time is that he is running on a bare bones budget. He's already said many times that he needs to be more careful than earlier years when he had team backing and decent budgets. This shunt looks like it could be the end of the season right now - there is even a fundraiser out.

The track marshal disqualified him because he stated that he thought he was on the last lap.

Now Bakkerud has been very heavy handed on occasion, famously punting Solberg into the gravel in the Norwegian finals (twice even if you can believe that) - but this would have been career suicide given that the does not have the funds to fix the car afterwards.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk
Old 11 Apr 2019, 09:35 (Ref:3896771)   #509
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silhuette View Post
This shunt looks like it could be the end of the season right now - there is even a fundraiser out.
From what I have seen on Facebook that seems to be the work of a fan, not the team. I believe the team have officially responded and said that the car will be repaired and Bakkerud will be out in Barcelona.

If a shunt in the opening round really was enough to blow the season budget then someone was clearly very optimistic about the cost of running a Supercar!
Old 11 Apr 2019, 10:48 (Ref:3896793)   #510
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
From what I have seen on Facebook that seems to be the work of a fan, not the team. I believe the team have officially responded and said that the car will be repaired and Bakkerud will be out in Barcelona.

If a shunt in the opening round really was enough to blow the season budget then someone was clearly very optimistic about the cost of running a Supercar!
It was a very hard shunt though and if it costs 45,000€ to repair it, it's quite the blow for a privateer like Bakkerud. He had still to finalise his budget when the entry list was released and he said that he would be working hard with partners and supporters to finalise it.

So even if he was optimistic about the season, this was probably something he did not expect.

https://bilsport.no/bakkerud-klar-fo...OeDRMbdQq-DVj4
Old 11 Apr 2019, 11:43 (Ref:3896799)   #511
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It depends, he may have the budget across the season, just not right now. I suspect that many of his sponsors will be making stage payments rather than one lump sum.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 13:10 (Ref:3896817)   #512
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Chris Hoy will drive the Xite Racing Fiesta at Barcelona:

https://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/a...is-hoy-to-race

I have only seen Hoy once behind the wheel once before and that finished with him parking the car in a hay bale! Hopefully he can keep it out of the barriers in Spain.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 13:21 (Ref:3896820)   #513
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well he’s done well in sportscars, let’s see how he does well on the rough. Not surprised he’s doing this, his hero was Colin McRae

Not the first sport star to try rallycross, remember Mr McGuigan?
Old 11 Apr 2019, 13:35 (Ref:3896822)   #514
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Not the first sport star to try rallycross, remember Mr McGuigan?
Oh yeah, I forgot about him!

Yeah, I know Hoy has had some success on tarmac, so be interesting to see how he fares. Not sure how competitive the Fiesta will be against the international field, though I think it's a fairly well sorted car.

I just saw the full entry list on Facebook:

Knapick back again!
Old 11 Apr 2019, 16:52 (Ref:3896838)   #515
Silhuette
Racer

Silhuette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know about that, but I have seen him quoted as saying signing on was a gamble and he didn't have the budget for the season ready at deadline. (like in the Bilsport article above).

Regardless of the state of his finances, my point is that nobody who pays their own way would deliberately cause an accident of this magnitude. Particularly not a guy who barely has the budget for a trouble free season.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk
Old 11 Apr 2019, 17:59 (Ref:3896852)   #516
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Wonder how this Hoy thing has come about?

Does anyone else feel that IMG just send out thousands of emails to even slightly motorport related people to try and get them to do rounds, and then pay them?

Surely a team would have to be paid to do this? Am sure Hoy is not paying for it, saying that if the team is his, maybe he is hiring the thing himself.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 18:44 (Ref:3896868)   #517
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Wonder how this Hoy thing has come about?
Hoy has done quite a bit of racing so perhaps he genuinely does want to try rallycross out.

Xite were looking to rent that Fiesta out, so I am more inclined to (perhaps incorrectly) think that they are pushing it rather than IMG.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 21:51 (Ref:3896899)   #518
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
It is that car as he is testing it this weekend somewhere, so yes the Bennett car.

Think honestly Bennett would be better using that than that Mini
Old 12 Apr 2019, 08:05 (Ref:3896953)   #519
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Think honestly Bennett would be better using that than that Mini
Yeah, I agree. I admire the enthusiasm that Bennett seems to have, but jumping straight into the World Championship in a brand new car last year was a bold move and, given that the car still doesn't seem to be sorted yet, I can't help thinking that he might get more consistency out of the proven Fiesta.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 10:09 (Ref:3896973)   #520
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
His is an odd situation at best, I think the whole thing is best left there lol!
Old 12 Apr 2019, 11:58 (Ref:3896990)   #521
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
What surprises me is that he has and uses the Fiesta. I’d have thought Seat time in the Mini would be crucial. And where does the money come from?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 Apr 2019, 12:55 (Ref:3897002)   #522
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
AS I say snoody a discussion was had about it last year.

I am not sure being honest I never see this stuff for sale anywhere!

Similarly amazed at how Doran has maintained Monster sponsorship despite all the things he has done, I am convinced that deal has more to it than meets the eye, it certainly is not based on achievement, or being an "athlete". Maybe a family thing, or some sort of "special" relationship"

As in sponsorship terms surely anyone linked with him would have done a runner instantly after the Gatebil episode, yet people like Duo stay loyal, I have no idea why.
Old 13 Apr 2019, 09:52 (Ref:3897193)   #523
RichP
Rookie

RichP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monsters attitude is any press is good press.
As for Duo, goggle the share holders, when you see who’s involved it all makes sense!
Old 13 Apr 2019, 11:25 (Ref:3897206)   #524
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
Monsters attitude is any press is good press.
As for Duo, goggle the share holders, when you see who’s involved it all makes sense!
A lovely irony given that Harry Doran was all over the YouTube livestream saying that Liam did it all on his own.

I think you're right about Monster, they dropped him immediately following the Gatebil incident but 2 years down the line he's back to just being a 'bad boy' who is good for their image. IMO the guys like Liam, Block, Bakkerud fit the brand better than Johan and Petter do.

Budgets in motorsport continues to baffle me, and not just at the top level. What I really don't understand is why teams like EKS really needed to take 4 giant artics to events. And the set up that Peugeot seemed to have last year was crazy
Old 15 Apr 2019, 17:39 (Ref:3897730)   #525
daWOOKIE
Rookie

daWOOKIE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Budgets in motorsport continues to baffle me, and not just at the top level. What I really don't understand is why teams like EKS really needed to take 4 giant artics to events. And the set up that Peugeot seemed to have last year was crazy

Snoody,

You have to realize two things.

1) Motorsport budgets are almost entirely out of the marketing budget from the sponsor. In any real sponsorship proposal for real money, its as much about on site interaction/perception/"activation" as it is about anything. Sponsors can buy views lots of different ways, and most of them are either able to be far more targeted or cheaper than motorsport. What sports in general, and motorsport specifically, can offer that those other marketing options can't is the ability to treat VIPs as well as directly interact with attendees on a far greater level than a TV or online advert ever can.

A drinks company will want to have something to take investors, or distributors, or other business partner senior executives to that will make them feel elite, special, valued, IE the VIP treatment. Fans that get a chance to interact with team members, people from sponsors, etc, will have that much stronger of a brand impression and will be that more likely to be influenced in the future. A smart team spends 20-35% or more of its sponsor provided funds on branding, promotion, and engagement/activation promoting their sponsors. Smaller teams or smaller sports most likely have to be spending closer to 50% if they are getting real sponsorship dollars to make the value worth it. The only way you'll keep sponsors if you don't is if there is a "special relationship".

2) Those trucks were already bought and paid for in all likelihood with the Audi money. Operating the trucks is likely cheaper than buying new ones and I guarantee EKS wants to still be seen as a "big" team for any large sponsor or manufacturer associated budget to want to go to. Downsizing wouldn't fit that image.