Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Feb 2013, 19:49 (Ref:3208054)   #276
Kid Roberts
Rookie

Kid Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somewhat related question: Do the new 911's still come with the h-patterns or have they gone to paddles?
Old 20 Feb 2013, 19:59 (Ref:3208058)   #277
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livininthinair View Post
Thanks for the real world perspective Mike. I have always been a manual transmission guy but realize the race track is much different than the rat race of everyday driving. Before too much longer we will all be telling our grandchildren about the days when you had to shift the gears yourself. I work for Audi/Porsche/VW and was not happy to see the last of the manual transmission "S" cars from Audi - robotized transmissions are not my cup of tea, the PDK is nice but still not my thing...
Totally with you on that! All my street cars over the last few years have been H-pattern manuals (F430, ZR1, CTS-V, 997 Turbo) except for 1 (C63 Black Series). I definitely prefer an H-pattern for the street...

Now we should talk about ABS and traction control in racing.... lol!

-mike
Old 20 Feb 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3208061)   #278
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Roberts View Post
Somewhat related question: Do the new 911's still come with the h-patterns or have they gone to paddles?
H with 7 forward gears and a reverse
Old 20 Feb 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3208062)   #279
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Totally with you on that! All my street cars over the last few years have been H-pattern manuals (F430, ZR1, CTS-V, 997 Turbo) except for 1 (C63 Black Series). I definitely prefer an H-pattern for the street...

-mike

ABS and traction control in racing = driver input only
Old 20 Feb 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3208064)   #280
Kid Roberts
Rookie

Kid Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post

-mike
...Or DRS/KERS.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 05:22 (Ref:3208276)   #281
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
H with 7 forward gears and a reverse
Not for the GT3
Old 13 May 2013, 06:38 (Ref:3246556)   #282
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't heard anything recently about the future of GT racing. I hope that's a good thing.

I would like to see the future generation of GT include a class for small capacity cars. The Subaru BRZ and Lotus Exige size would be good, the smaller capacity engine is more in line with what is produced in road cars so might produce more interest from fans and manufacturers.

Don't get me wrong, the sound of a V8/10/12 GT car roaring past is good... but is that the future?
Old 13 May 2013, 09:11 (Ref:3246608)   #283
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
When the future of Le Mans is cars like the Subaru and Lotus, I'll be staying at home.
Old 13 May 2013, 09:39 (Ref:3246628)   #284
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
When the future of Le Mans is cars like the Subaru and Lotus, I'll be staying at home.
I see your point with Subaru, but Lotus is part of Le Mans' history!
Old 13 May 2013, 09:40 (Ref:3246629)   #285
zanfo zanfagni
Racer

zanfo zanfagni has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut View Post
I haven't heard anything recently about the future of GT racing. I hope that's a good thing.

I would like to see the future generation of GT include a class for small capacity cars. The Subaru BRZ and Lotus Exige size would be good, the smaller capacity engine is more in line with what is produced in road cars so might produce more interest from fans and manufacturers.

Don't get me wrong, the sound of a V8/10/12 GT car roaring past is good... but is that the future?
smaller capacity engine in produced road cars = tourism car.
Old 13 May 2013, 09:42 (Ref:3246632)   #286
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Vince you must remember that before even I started to go to le mans there were always classes for small engined cars, that is why there are so many of them in the classic races
Old 13 May 2013, 10:23 (Ref:3246650)   #287
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd be happy to see this version of the BRZ at Le Mans. But the race should remain the pinnacle.

Old 13 May 2013, 11:22 (Ref:3246676)   #288
zanfo zanfagni
Racer

zanfo zanfagni has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Subaru brz gt300 is a silhouette prototype. Will be hard to see this kind of cars at le mans.
Old 13 May 2013, 13:17 (Ref:3246732)   #289
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanfo zanfagni View Post
Subaru brz gt300 is a silhouette prototype. Will be hard to see this kind of cars at le mans.
But they should be allowed IMO. They are awesome cars, and fast
Old 13 May 2013, 13:27 (Ref:3246737)   #290
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Judging by what I see more and more on the roads, the future of sporty cars is all about turbocharged V8s and 2.5-ton bodies on oversized wheels...
Old 13 May 2013, 14:19 (Ref:3246753)   #291
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanfo zanfagni View Post
on the outside it looks like a gt3 car.
Old 13 May 2013, 15:06 (Ref:3246767)   #292
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I wouldn't mind a Hachiroku or BRZ, they can always swap the engine for a turbo V6.
Old 13 May 2013, 15:27 (Ref:3246777)   #293
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Judging by what I see more and more on the roads, the future of sporty cars is all about turbocharged V8s and 2.5-ton bodies on oversized wheels...
Bentley GT3 soon to hit the circuits....
Old 13 May 2013, 15:35 (Ref:3246782)   #294
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut View Post

I agree that there should be a place for 'small' displacement GT cars. I'd have 3 classes of GT cars; up to 3 lites, up to 5 litres and 5 litres +. So in the smallest class you'd have Exiges and Caymans, the next one 458's and 911's and ideally in the larger class Ferrari 599/F12's, Corvette's, Vipers, DB9's, Lambo's etc. Not nessasarily at Le Mans, maybe just the 2 larger classes there, but in GT races.

People saying if small engined cars were the future of Le Mans they wouldn't go, there used to be a upto 750cc class! It was pretty popular too, Panard's, OSCA's and Lotuses. In the 1950's granted. I wouldn't want to be pottering down Mulsanne in one of them when a Testa Rossa came screaming past!
Old 14 May 2013, 00:41 (Ref:3247030)   #295
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyd View Post
I agree that there should be a place for 'small' displacement GT cars. I'd have 3 classes of GT cars; up to 3 lites, up to 5 litres and 5 litres +. So in the smallest class you'd have Exiges and Caymans, the next one 458's and 911's and ideally in the larger class Ferrari 599/F12's, Corvette's, Vipers, DB9's, Lambo's etc. Not nessasarily at Le Mans, maybe just the 2 larger classes there, but in GT races.

People saying if small engined cars were the future of Le Mans they wouldn't go, there used to be a upto 750cc class! It was pretty popular too, Panard's, OSCA's and Lotuses. In the 1950's granted. I wouldn't want to be pottering down Mulsanne in one of them when a Testa Rossa came screaming past!
In a perfect world, I think we'd all love to see GT1s, GT2s, GT3s, and GT4s competing in one big race. But the exclusivity is what makes the WEC and Le Mans... well, the WEC and Le Mans!!!

I think the WEC needs more cars, though. GT1 is just impossible now - it has been discussed many times on this thread and I took great interest in following it. We can only dream...

But the "universal" GT class is an extraordinary idea. Just think of the diversity we'd have in the WEC!

Porsche
Ferrari
Lamborghini
McLaren
Mercedes-Benz
Aston Martin
Audi
BMW
Chevrolet
Ford
Jaguar (hopefully the F-Type in future years)
Bentley
Nissan
Honda (Super GT)
Acura (2014 plans)
Lexus (Super GT)
etc...

I wish they'd double the grid space at Le Mans for all of this. Maybe they will. The WEC would be about full with 55-60 per race... just like the old days!

Does anyone know when this idea will be implemented and come into action for real?
Old 14 May 2013, 01:52 (Ref:3247054)   #296
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
In a perfect world, I think we'd all love to see GT1s, GT2s, GT3s, and GT4s competing in one big race. But the exclusivity is what makes the WEC and Le Mans... well, the WEC and Le Mans!!!

I think the WEC needs more cars, though. GT1 is just impossible now - it has been discussed many times on this thread and I took great interest in following it. We can only dream...

But the "universal" GT class is an extraordinary idea. Just think of the diversity we'd have in the WEC!

Porsche
Ferrari
Lamborghini
McLaren
Mercedes-Benz
Aston Martin
Audi
BMW
Chevrolet
Ford
Jaguar (hopefully the F-Type in future years)
Bentley
Nissan
Honda (Super GT)
Acura (2014 plans)
Lexus (Super GT)
etc...

I wish they'd double the grid space at Le Mans for all of this. Maybe they will. The WEC would be about full with 55-60 per race... just like the old days!

Does anyone know when this idea will be implemented and come into action for real?
I agree with you, the "universal" GT class is an extraordinary idea!!
Old 14 May 2013, 01:57 (Ref:3247056)   #297
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I'd be happy to see this version of the BRZ at Le Mans. But the race should remain the pinnacle.

I also would be happy to see this version of the BRZ at Le Mans and I would like to see a GT3 version in FIA GT, BES, VLN and 24 hours of Nurburgring
Old 14 May 2013, 09:17 (Ref:3247202)   #298
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
What I don't understand of current WEC is why such a top exclusive race has to have an PRO-AM class, I can stand there is a bunch of championships in the world that can mold young drivers in GTs, and it is harder to train in LMPs so a LMP2 AM class is more logical, and the laptimes are higher so they would affect less to the race.

With the supression of the GT's AM class or a limitation of the cars per brand that diversity is perfectly achievable with 26-30 GTs (With tight cost controls, because a international champ is highly expensive, without it weaker brands will drop).
Old 14 May 2013, 09:33 (Ref:3247209)   #299
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you switched out all the AM cars (with gentleman racers/budget) where does the money come from to run the Pro stuff?
Old 14 May 2013, 09:50 (Ref:3247212)   #300
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Le mans has survived for a long time now it has history and included within that is the chance for drivers with money to race at the top level and in the process fund teams that would otherwise not be there. Look at the GT class winners and you will see that they sometimes do very well. The structure of the pro am division allows for this and should be kept IMHO