Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Jan 2002, 13:37 (Ref:195439)   #1
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
young hopefuls of sportscar racing

Which of the the young drivers starting out now do you think will make their mark on the sportscar scene? Are there any young talents that stand out as future Le Mans winners, and such like?
Old 8 Jan 2002, 16:22 (Ref:195511)   #2
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do you mean drivers who are presently sportscar drivers or all young drivers, Mr dorf?
I'm terrible with names, but there have been a couple of good teenagers in Kremer and Marcos cars recently. Is it Sam Hancock? he was pretty handy round Donnington in the Kremer. Also I suspect that one of the legions of new and good french and japanese F3 drivers will tire of their lack of F1 opportunity soon enough to drive sportscars.
Also, the Porsche GB drivers, Marino Franchitti and Kelvin Burt are about as good as it gets.
Old 8 Jan 2002, 17:05 (Ref:195542)   #3
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Osella
do you mean drivers who are presently sportscar drivers or all young drivers, Mr dorf?
I was thinking about drivers who are currently involved, or getting involved, in sports/GT racing, Mr. Sella

Quote:
Also, the Porsche GB drivers, Marino Franchitti and Kelvin Burt are about as good as it gets.
Kelvin Burt is an old hand already, though. Not that he's not good, mind you!

About the younger Japanese drivers, I don't know too much about that scene. Who is there? Also, what's going on in Spain/Portugal (they have their own Championship which is pretty good) in terms of new talent?
Old 8 Jan 2002, 19:27 (Ref:195644)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having driven Kelvin Burt around Donington Park many years ago when he was still in FF1600, I'd love to see him in a good car at Le Mans - a very underrated driver, IMO.

A difficult question, Cy. The youngsters who take part often do so as a sideline to their aspirations in single seaters - few (sadly) set out to make their mark in sportscars from the outset.

Nevertheless, a random selction of hopefuls which I've picked out just from looking at last year's Le Mans participants would be:-

Guy Smith (only 26 - has concentrated on sportscars since 2000 - and he's a Bentley Boy!)
Sebastien Bourdais (if he could be lured away from single seaters full time)
Boris Derichebourg (went well with Courage last year and seems to have left F3000 behind)
Vanina Ickx (wouldn't it be good to see that name on the trophy again at Le Mans?!)
David Terrien (after his incredible efforts to get the Equipe de France Viper back to the pits at Le Mans last year...)

Just a few thoughts then, and by the way, can we persuade Henri Pescarolo to get back in the car? The race isn't quite the same without that green helmet...youngsters?.......!
Old 8 Jan 2002, 19:33 (Ref:195652)   #5
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Guy Smith (only 26 - has concentrated on sportscars since 2000 - and he's a Bentley Boy!)
Sebastien Bourdais (if he could be lured away from single seaters full time)
He has an F1 test contract somewhere, no? (I don't really follow F1 anymore)

Quote:
Vanina Ickx (wouldn't it be good to see that name on the trophy again at Le Mans?!)
..and that face

what about some of the European drivers out East, in Japan - guys like André Couto, Dominic Schwager, Wayne Gardner

I remember Kelvin Burt manhandling the big Toyota corona Super Tourer round Macao...phew...

Last edited by cybersdorf; 8 Jan 2002 at 19:34.
Old 8 Jan 2002, 19:44 (Ref:195661)   #6
GT2001
Rookie

GT2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don;t forget Ian McKellar Jr - a fantastic young driver
Old 8 Jan 2002, 19:51 (Ref:195665)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by GT2001
Don;t forget Ian McKellar Jr - a fantastic young driver
Very true, I missed him - Saleen last year - what's he up to at the moment?
Old 8 Jan 2002, 20:00 (Ref:195679)   #8
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Very true, I missed him - Saleen last year - what's he up to at the moment?
FIASCC with the RML Panoz, I hear.
Old 9 Jan 2002, 14:36 (Ref:196001)   #9
sportscarfan
Rookie

sportscarfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kelvin did an amazing job this year, but Marino Franchitti really showed what he can do, by the middle of the year he was as quick (and sometimes quicker) than Kelvin. You have to remember that he jumped straight from FFord to GTs, a huge jump in power etc.
When he drove the 360 at Atlanta with Burt and Kelleners, it was Marino who qualified and started the race, that must say something.
Just to show he can do it consistently, he was fastest in class over the 3 days at Daytona this week with minimal laps, and he still isn't on the entry list!! He is surely Britains best up and coming GT driver.
Old 9 Jan 2002, 14:43 (Ref:196005)   #10
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Martin O'Connell has the potential to be a very good sportsracing driver, very smooth and consistent.
Old 9 Jan 2002, 15:16 (Ref:196024)   #11
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are Marino and Kelvin doing any British GT races next year or are they going international? Saw them a couple of times and I was quite impressed.
Old 9 Jan 2002, 16:16 (Ref:196066)   #12
lemans_henrik
Rookie

lemans_henrik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did some of you notice Casper Elgaard, our danish driver who raced in Dome #10 together with John Nielsen and Katoh at Le Mans 2001? I think we will see him in the front of sportscar racing in a few years.

This season he will drive together with John Nielsen in the YGK-project.
Old 9 Jan 2002, 17:24 (Ref:196099)   #13
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
what about some of the European drivers out East, in Japan - guys like André Couto, Dominic Schwager, Wayne Gardner
Surely you're not suggesting that Wayne Gardner is young!?!?! or European?

I've followed this discussion with quite a bit of interest, since to the uneducated casual observer (i.e. me ) SportsCar racing seems to be the domain of 'older' drivers who have made their mark in other series' before moving over to SC. It's good to hear that there are some younger pilots coming up through the ranks, but it is also curious that not many choose it as a place to start their career.
Old 9 Jan 2002, 17:36 (Ref:196109)   #14
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is, of course, the multi talented Simon Pullan

If we ask him nicely he might tell us why he has the vision to consider a career in Sportscars from the start, when most fella's his age are certain they are going to be the next Micheal Schumacher.
Old 10 Jan 2002, 08:43 (Ref:196416)   #15
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Marshal
If we ask him nicely he might tell us why he has the vision to consider a career in Sportscars from the start, when most fella's his age are certain they are going to be the next Micheal Schumacher.
Because he's smart?
Old 10 Jan 2002, 12:52 (Ref:196514)   #16
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I expect the other reason for wanting to go into is that there is more chance to get to the top.

You only have to see how many seats are available in F1 each year to realise how hard it is to get there, Sportscars do seem to offer more availabily/choice.
Old 10 Jan 2002, 17:03 (Ref:196623)   #17
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure most would-be professionals just set out to get PAID, whatever the series, F3, F3000, TouringCars, Trucks...
In my view, sportscar drivers, have to be better drivers, just as the best rally and F1 pilots are.
You have to share your car with others, do bizarre stints, suffer the slow team-mate who actually pays you, share the track with cars entered by Debora and del Bello...
Old 10 Jan 2002, 18:47 (Ref:196685)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Osella
share the track with cars entered by Debora and del Bello...
Even I'd be prepared to do that (without being paid ) if it gave me the chance of driving a few (slow) laps at Le Mans!! At 44, I think my chances of being picked up by Audi or Bentley are looking pretty slim!
Old 10 Jan 2002, 19:12 (Ref:196706)   #19
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So my Dads comeback with a top team is out of the question?!!!
Old 10 Jan 2002, 21:48 (Ref:196785)   #20
Simon Pullan
Racer

Simon Pullan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Marshal
There is, of course, the multi talented Simon Pullan

Wow! Thanks Marshal, I've never been called multi-talented before. That is certainly very kind of you.

But there are lots of other young drivers to be considered before me! Robin Liddell, Ben Collins, Rob Barff, to name but a few. I haven't even done a GT race yet!

To be honest I never really had any intention of doing single seaters. When I started to look towards car racing I always envisaged doing Caterhams. I'm not sure why I didn't want to do Formula Ford (even before I realised it was so expensive) but I was always more interested in Le Mans and sportscars. Then I thought that I could get some experience in sportscars whilst I was young then it would stand me in good stead to win Le Mans at some point in the future.

I also don't have the right personality for F1 and wouldn't really fit in. I'm quite a shy person and I prefer to work in the backgound a bit more.
Old 10 Jan 2002, 23:44 (Ref:196846)   #21
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Simon who ?

Nah, never heard of him...
Old 11 Jan 2002, 12:11 (Ref:196979)   #22
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
~`````

Simon, if you want to work in the background and not be noticed, you'd be perfect for the 2Car at Ferrari.

What about Gunnar Jenette? Does anybody think he has promise in the Sports Car field? While he was very fast at Le Mans and did well for a first-timer, he seems a bit, well, erratic; and I'm sure he was one of the people all the experienced drivers meant when they complained at Road Atlanta about "people who should not be driving here." Nevertheless, I've heard he is very fast and wonder if his tendency to fall off the track and take others with him is just inexperience? Or is he just another guy driving Dad's car?
Old 14 Jan 2002, 09:35 (Ref:198423)   #23
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will mention only one name

Topi Serjala

Loads of fans (and drivers) rate Topi as one of the major "escaped" talents. This year he should be getting his extremely talented rear end into a top prototype...........watch this space as they say.
Old 14 Jan 2002, 13:05 (Ref:198498)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
An interesting "taster", Sid! Is there a top prototype in mind?
Old 14 Jan 2002, 13:21 (Ref:198513)   #25
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yes