Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 27 Jun 2003, 11:59 (Ref:644655)   #1
ukracing
Racer

ukracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton, McLaren, Williams and young hopefuls

Why do McLaren and Williams etc support drivers through their own selection like Hamilton/ Asmer rather than putting their full support behind drivers that win their awards like the McLaren Autosport awards?
Old 27 Jun 2003, 13:53 (Ref:644785)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Good question. However, it is fair to say that they DO support rising stars and maybe a few other top teams could take a leaf out of there book and follow suit?
Old 27 Jun 2003, 14:00 (Ref:644792)   #3
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PR,
Hamilton, first coloured F1 driver with the ability to go all the way.
Asmer, not sure of the angle there, but bet your bottom dollor williams will in time us him in some sort of PR, is he Croation..?
Old 27 Jun 2003, 14:46 (Ref:644841)   #4
Alx
Racer

United Kingdom
The World Where I Live
Alx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Estonian

He has some good backing I think. And potential too. I think McLaren do, technically, support the drivers who win the autosport awards in that I guess, well, they give them the prize. Would be nice to see them help out former finalists (especially the multiple ones) such as Robbie Kerr though.

In saying that, I'm a McLaren fan, and I would prefer to see any one of the more recent (at least) Autosport award winners driving for them in F1 than Lewis (though understand I'm not trying to knock Lewis here).
"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, but I feel that life is measured in achievement, and not in years alone"
Old 27 Jun 2003, 14:52 (Ref:644852)   #5
garagegirl
Racer

garagegirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
did robbie ker never win it then alx? i thought he did?
Old 27 Jun 2003, 14:57 (Ref:644863)   #6
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Asmer is connected to Williams vs Harald Huysman
Old 27 Jun 2003, 15:26 (Ref:644887)   #7
ukracing
Racer

ukracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd think though that McLaren would give their award winners more help. Money is what they need, like Hamilton has been given. What happens when the awards come round again, will Hamilton win them all?
Old 27 Jun 2003, 15:30 (Ref:644890)   #8
Alx
Racer

United Kingdom
The World Where I Live
Alx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garagegirl
did robbie ker never win it then alx? i thought he did?
Nope, he never won it.

I think he was a finalist, twice at least, maybe more.

Ah, that was what I was trying to remember, thanks Russ The management!!!
Old 28 Jun 2003, 18:01 (Ref:645539)   #9
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Hamilton, McLaren, Williams and young hopefuls

Quote:
Originally posted by ukracing
Why do McLaren and Williams etc support drivers through their own selection like Hamilton/ Asmer rather than putting their full support behind drivers that win their awards like the McLaren Autosport awards?
McLaren, Williams and other teams look for young talent in motor sport all over the place, and sometimes they obviously decide to support it. However, they can't look everywhere, and therefore I guess the Autosport award is McLaren's way of getting other people to look for them, so if they've missed them before they get another chance to grab them. They're not going to support ALL the drivers who win the awards though, because these awards are given out every year, and Britain does not produce one F1 class driver every single year.
Old 28 Jun 2003, 18:20 (Ref:645553)   #10
Russfeld
Veteran

Thing is though, Williams and Mclraen dont even need to hunt for talent. What driver is going to say no to a ride at that team? An extreme example is Ferrari, they can have any driver or sponsor in the world at a moment's notice.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 20:03 (Ref:646412)   #11
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, but Williams, McLaren and Renault want to make sure that whatever talent is out there is signed up to them first. The earlier they can spot it, the less chance there is of one of the other teams profitting from it.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 20:19 (Ref:646426)   #12
Russfeld
Veteran

At the same time though, why not let the Saubers and Minardis and Chip Ganassis of the world have them while they go through their growing pains
Old 29 Jun 2003, 20:34 (Ref:646440)   #13
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understood that people like Flavio and Eddie Jordan do sign up young hopefuls at an early age to foster them and develop them but also to have control of them. EJ is my hero
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 29 Jun 2003, 20:44 (Ref:646446)   #14
Russfeld
Veteran

EJ's a bit of a weasel actually, and neither he or Peter Sauber are the 'talent scouts' they facy themselves.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 20:50 (Ref:646449)   #15
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Well Peter Sauber signed up Kimi, and didn't baulk at letting him go to McLaren! And EJ has brought on a few drivers hasn't he? OK so he may sell them on afterwards, but you can't hold that against him unless he prohibits a move in the driver's best interests, and I haven't heard reports of that happening.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 29 Jun 2003, 20:52 (Ref:646451)   #16
Russfeld
Veteran

Yeah but did those two spot any talent you or I couldnt have? Didnt Fisichella win all but 3 F3 races? Thats not a hard call to make.

And the weasel comment was more about EJ's general racing approach.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 21:16 (Ref:646488)   #17
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Not the purported hairpiece?

If you take the blanket spotting approach that Flavio appears to have got, you'll possibly end up with something, and ruin a few hopes along the way.

I don't see or know of any other people being spotted and funded at Hamilton's junior age, though. That's extraordinarily young, and very expensive backing, so I'm not surprised.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 21:25 (Ref:646501)   #18
Russfeld
Veteran

I remember a few years ago the team was doing some anti-drug promotion and some wise-ass crossed out the D in "Just say no to drugs"
Old 29 Jun 2003, 21:31 (Ref:646516)   #19
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
I'm told he's very sensitive about it. Don't really know why, as it seems to be universally known, and to be honest, he's done it fantastically well as he's aged himself. Still, maybe I'll be glueing one on one day soon ... comes to us all.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 23:18 (Ref:646601)   #20
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose McLaren are only a sponsor of the Young driver award and it is basically organized by Autosport, but I do believe they should be doing more for the winners. I know they get a fair amount of money and a nice trophy but over the last couple of years - the winners don't seem to have furthered their careers very much (other than how they would've anyway without the award!) and winning it, to me, doesn't seem to make an awful lot of difference.
I think the prize should be a funded drive in the next category up to what the winner is in currently to progress them up the ladder.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 01:03 (Ref:646665)   #21
Russfeld
Veteran

And you almost never hear of the test results or if they've even done it.