Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Oct 2005, 09:31 (Ref:1437740)   #1
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Audi R10

According to some reliable source of Mulsanne's Mike, the new Audi LMP1 will be powered by a V12 diesel engine (so no V10 as assumed previously). In this way the engine will be able to develop more revs.

More on http://www.mulsannescorner.com/news.html
Old 19 Oct 2005, 09:47 (Ref:1437753)   #2
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
By my calculations, an R10 can expect between 4 and 8 less stops over a 24 hour race. That could give the R10's 2 clear laps advantage at Le Mans over an identically paced petrol LMP1. Game, set and match?
Old 19 Oct 2005, 09:50 (Ref:1437756)   #3
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No way, I just cannot see the Audi getting nearly as much power out of a V12 Diesel as a 5.0 litre V10 Judd petrol - it simply is not plausible.

Also where on earth is the R10 - there has been no test cars banging around tracks, no signs of any engine, not even some rumours, are Audi really going to run such a radical prototype without extensive testing?????.........................is there actually going to be an R10 next year????...............................if not, what are Champion going to run...........................Zyteks?
Old 19 Oct 2005, 09:58 (Ref:1437764)   #4
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love 04s
No way, I just cannot see the Audi getting nearly as much power out of a V12 Diesel as a 5.0 litre V10 Judd petrol - it simply is not plausible.

Also where on earth is the R10 - there has been no test cars banging around tracks, no signs of any engine, not even some rumours, are Audi really going to run such a radical prototype without extensive testing?????.........................is there actually going to be an R10 next year????...............................if not, what are Champion going to run...........................Zyteks?
Didn't one of our members post something to the effect that they have a finished R10, (which must be testing,) but which looks so hideous that they are trying to find a way to make it a bit prettier!!
Old 19 Oct 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1437800)   #5
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who says they're not already testing? Who's to say they haven't already got a finished race version and have been putting miles on it for the last 2 months?

Just because no ones got a picture of it, doesn't mean to say it doesn't exist.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1437806)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the car does exist and has been testing behind closed doors. I also think that there is fair chance that the engine has been put in the back of an R8 has been pounded round the test for at least the year or so. Audi normally confirm there plans for the following year at the Essan Motorshow which takes place in December, no dobut they will tell use what they are up to then.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 11:20 (Ref:1437832)   #7
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So (and i don't usually count chickens before they hatch) we can look forward to another period of Audi dominance, with the added bonus of the putrid smell of diesel mixed with meguez (sp?) for a good few years.
Lovely.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1437866)   #8
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
period .. don't think so . they are no longer alone . Pug is also coming

Ciao Marco
Old 19 Oct 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1437872)   #9
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Why not? The Ricardo-Judd diesel V10 produces 600 bhp out of 4.7 liter. LMP1 allows a displacement up to 5.5 liter for diesel engines.

The regulations limit the engine power to 650 bhp via the engine inlet restrictor. So diesel, turbo and NA gasoline engines will produce the same maximum power.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1437881)   #10
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the car does exist and has been testing behind closed doors.

correct
Old 19 Oct 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1437882)   #11
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Also where on earth is the R10 - there has been no test cars banging around tracks, no signs of any engine, not even some rumours, are Audi really going to run such a radical prototype without extensive testing?????.........................is there actually going to be an R10 next year????
I am sure they will have tested different solution (V10 and V12) on an engine testbench.

There have been rumours that Lamborghini was building a diesel powered Gallardo because a test mule was driving around (e.g. http://autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=212640). I guess this could have been a test of the R10 engine.

I hope I will see the new Audi LMP1 at the Motorshow in Essen. From then on public testing will really start.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1437887)   #12
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boy that thing will make some torque...
Old 19 Oct 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1437927)   #13
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
And break a hell of a lot of gearboxes!!!

Whether Audi will dominate or not will be down to the other teams - the new Zytek LMP1 is bound to be a good/great car if it is anything like the 04s (which it is most likely to be, aerodynamically especially). Creation's hybrid(s) are also likely to be competitive.........the Courage C70(s).................Pescarolo(s).........the list goes on............

On the existance factor, do you not think that if it had been banging around test tracks somebody might have seen it?

I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1437963)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
On the existance factor, do you not think that if it had been banging around test tracks somebody might have seen it?
As was send above the car has been testing, but on there own Private test track and behind closed doors well out of the way of the members of the media and the general public. Look at Porsche there LMP2 was developed behind closed doors and broke cover a matter of few months before its race debut.

I read on another forum a couple of months back that when the Ford World Rally team are testing, no one is allowed to take either a camara or a camara phone to test just in case something that isn't meant to be seen leak's out.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1437994)   #15
Dauer 962
Veteran

Dauer 962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VW / Audi have a test track in northern Germany, called Ehra Lessien.

Say that this is a high security area would be very reserved. They could test space ships there and nobody would take a note about that.

So it would be possible that they have the diesel already in testing.

But I read some time in a reliable magazine that they program isn’t yet so developed as people may think. They don’t started the construction yet and have also no engine yet on the dyno. But let’s wait and see if that’s true.

They will announce their 2006 program not before the Essen show, but I don’t expect they will display any other prototype there except the R8.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 14:37 (Ref:1438009)   #16
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
marcush. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ther´s a lot of parts being made in the next months....but if you ask me it´s a bit late for LeMans 06 already.....
But as they are outsourcing it looks like it could happen.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1438016)   #17
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I love 04S is just in denial. Car development can obviously be kept quite sercret. Especially in the early stages. Only when Audi decide to start testing at other tracks will we begin to see some phantom photographs.

The idea that they could have been testing the engine and drivetrain in an R8 is quite interesting though. Good thought rdjones.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1438018)   #18
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
The Ricardo sportscar gearbox currently handles 750 Nm. A LMP1 diesel will produce 1000+ Nm.

The Ricardo 7 speed DSG gearbox of the Bugatti can handle 1250 Nm, but it weighs 180 kg
Old 19 Oct 2005, 14:56 (Ref:1438020)   #19
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Audi gets this right the technical and promotional rewards will be amazing.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 15:24 (Ref:1438043)   #20
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
marcush. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the only thing i surely know is ,it is twinturbocharged and drysumped......
oh,btw,it could be the bits I saw could easily be the backup parts if they fail to make the big D work.......
Old 19 Oct 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1438057)   #21
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

How long did it take for the few pics of the abandoned Porsche LMP1 to escape? Sure, we all reckoned the car was out there, but proving it was another matter
Old 19 Oct 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1438067)   #22
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Talking of Porsche LMP1 cars, I wonder if they currently testing one thosem behind closed doors at Weissach....
Old 19 Oct 2005, 15:46 (Ref:1438068)   #23
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Ah yes, I wonder indeed!
Old 19 Oct 2005, 16:46 (Ref:1438138)   #24
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wasn't it rumoured the Porsche P2 was testing in South Africa 6 months before we heard anything concreate?
Old 19 Oct 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1438307)   #25
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's interesting Lamborghini are working on a diesel supercar, sounds like VAG is chasing the desire to be seen as the best diesel producer on the market in a big way.

With Audi's track record I can only hope Peugot manage to come up with something special.