CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Adams
ah! small world

i recently watched a documentary about skylines : these have in-built lap timers in the dash top computer, how do tracks deal with this at trackdays?

Hammers!!!
Old 26 Jan 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1509670)   #52
AlexF
Racer

United Kingdom
Newbury
AlexF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As it says in the signiture....

If all else fails, Cheat!

lol
Old 3 Oct 2006, 11:33 (Ref:1726260)   #53
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats the view on passengers? The reason why I ask is I'm thinking of doing a track day (Doningtons most likely) and I'm thinking of taking my blind friend along. I think it would be a great experience for him!
Old 3 Oct 2006, 16:54 (Ref:1726694)   #54
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
passengers are allowed, normally costs about an extra 20 quid, and bere in mind that donington dont hire out helmets for h&s reasons
Old 3 Oct 2006, 17:40 (Ref:1726734)   #55
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have my own anyway, I don't like hire helmets!
Old 1 Dec 2006, 14:21 (Ref:1779521)   #56
pootles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Berkshire
pootles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try the Airfield track day route if you are new to all this stuff!

You don't get to hear too much about the airfield circuits options. I, having done one or two recently, can see why.

They offer the driver a variety of challenges but can be a tad bleek dependant on the conditions on the day.

I went to Abingdon in Oxfordshire earlier this month. Given that it was November and I nearly came home with a tan it was a great day. However the next time I went it monsoooooned! all day and the rain very nearly closed the circuit completely. The weather, given that this is good old blighty, should be a consideration. Especially if you drive without a roof.

The issue here is that although the airfield circuits offer a reesonable standard of tarmac in various configurations for the newby, the on site facilities can be, lets say, a little wanting.

At Abingdon, for example, you are using part of current MOD base. There is a chemicle toilet (x1) and a roach coach (Burger van) other than that there isn't much else to do other than drive.

So if you fancy doing one of these days, and the low price reflects what's on offer (£99 for the day at Abingdon), bare this in mind.

Go prepared for all weather climates and you wont go far wrong.

The circuit itself offers plenty. medium straights, fast bends, tight chicanes, change in grip surface, reasonalbe surface quality all the way round and a 1.5mile lap.

I went along with motorsport events. A very professional track day company that offer all the usual stuff. A good briefing in the morning before allowing man/woman and machine lose on the track. This includes the consented overtake rule. A must for track dayers especially if you want your machine to go home in the same shape it arrives in!

They marshall the circuit and include a trip back into the pits if you happen to spin. I thought this a bit of a pain at first. However it does give you a mo' to check the car over and contemplate where you went wrong. There's loads of run off, grass and tarmac for those who want to find the very edgew of the envelope! and fortunately not a lot at all for you to collide with should you get it wrong!

I would say that it takes a few lapes to get used to the cone layout for chicanes. You end up a little cone overloaded for a while. Bu once you have mastered the layout (5-10 laps usually) you can give it a good go.

Motorsprt events offer instruction too. They do charge but not extorsionately. So if you feel you need to better yourself there is help at hand.

All in all the airfield day isn't as god as a fully fledged circuit with all the mod cons. However for the first timer who wants to put a toe in the water, or should I say rubber the tarmac! it's not a bad place to start.

Take heed and remember the brolli!

Pootles. Team Fire Monkey
Old 12 Dec 2006, 09:46 (Ref:1788767)   #57
MartinLeah
Rookie

MartinLeah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First Timer Advice

Hi,

I am currently looking to book my first track day and I have a few questions I would like to ask.

Are there any tracks that:-

A - Suit certain cars? I ask because I have a 1.8 MX-5 which I appreciate will not be the quickest straight line car but should be fun in the corners.

B - Better for first timers? I.e. bigger run offs etc?

Also I can take the MX-5 or a new Mini Cooper - any ideas which would be the better choice?

Any other advice would be most appreciated!

Cheers, Martin.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 17:30 (Ref:1789091)   #58
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both cars are quite small so don't do Silverstone GP circuit

You haven't said where you are so thats not very helpful

Oulton Park & Cadwell Park are probably not very good due to small run-offs

Mallory is a one bend bottle circuit

Castle Combe is quite fast and has Quarry

Which leaves.....
Old 13 Dec 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1789688)   #59
MartinLeah
Rookie

MartinLeah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
....quite a few.

Sorry, forgot to say I live in Manchester but dont mind traveling to a circuit that would suit best.

I think the next nearest are donnington, mallory,Three sisters and Angalsy.

Think I will take the mx-5 as its RWD.

Thanks for the info so far. Appreciated.

Martin.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 20:30 (Ref:1796185)   #60
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Three sisters is really a kart track and whilst I love Mallory it is basically all about one bend - Gerards.

As you live in God's own country (eg near Manchester) why not go to probably the best circuit in the country, Oulton park which has some weekend track days in Jan/Feb but make sure you do the Int circuit.

Any track is suitable for a novice provided you turn up with the right attitude and dont think you are Ayrton Senna's long lost brother, just build up speed gently and take some instruction.

If I had the choice I would use the MX5 because I prefer RWD.

Have fun

Kickstart
Old 25 Aug 2007, 22:19 (Ref:1996494)   #61
berniesierra
Rookie

berniesierra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have just cast an eye over your coments about tax mot insurance etc why! your not covering anything your insurance is void on a race circuit you would have to get specific track day cover and what would you want to tax or mot it for whos going to stop you on a race track and what if you crashed your just wasting time and money for no gain! its a track day just enjoy it
Old 4 Sep 2007, 21:48 (Ref:2003883)   #62
surrealillusion
Racer

United Kingdom
Next to my shadow
surrealillusion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the reason why your should be mot'ed at least is - if your car breaks down every 5 minutes, causing a red flag every 5 minutes to tow you back to the pits..everyone is going to be very annoyed at you for wasting their track time. I know an mot isn't a guarentee that its going to stay in one piece, but it stands a better chance than a car without an mot and is a bag of old rusty nails.

Tax and insurance are not important. However..if you take your car uninsured onto a track, it makes you think twice about pushing that hard that you end up falling off the track. But, you do run the risk of some idiot who doesn't care and ends up crashing into you. Take insurance out if you really want, but then if you insure your road car, crash it, how you going to get home? how you going to get to work the next day? etc...

Surreal Illusions Motorsport Photography
Old 14 Nov 2008, 18:51 (Ref:2334983)   #63
Frailloop
Rookie

Frailloop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a track day marshal can I add another point - towing eyes. Please ensure your pride and joy has one (at either end!).

If you breakdown you will need a tow back to the pits. Being towed around the track puts little strain on the towing eye, and most will get you back without problem.

But if you end up in the gravel you will need a strong tow point - that gravel fights back!

For road cars you may have a point fixed by the maker. Sometimes these are the screw-in type. If so either fit it before you go out, or at the least know how it works! Ensure it does screw in - the thread works and it is the right one for the car. The hole is normally covered by a lid on the bodywork - this keeps the grit out and stops the hook jamming when it is fitted. If you go into the gravel it may collect rubbish - so tape it/cover it fit the hook first.

Does your pride and joy have a low bumper/body kit? Does it cover the tow point? Check before you need to use it!

If you fall off and delay the day because we can't recover your car without damage we will inform those cooling their heels in the pits! Be warned!!
Old 1 Aug 2009, 17:51 (Ref:2513316)   #64
jesse2609
Rookie

jesse2609 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for sharing this thread.. I'm looking forward to apply this guidelines on my own..
Old 1 Aug 2009, 18:26 (Ref:2513338)   #65
jesse2609
Rookie

jesse2609 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thread rily helps alot! thanks for sharing..
Old 29 Sep 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2766588)   #66
jonamacg83
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicestershire, UK
jonamacg83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope this will help some people, we have tried to make it as comprehensive as possible, so that we can offer help to people who choose not to use our trackday services!

http://www.macgracing.co.uk/trackdays_tips.shtml

Jonny