Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 26 Nov 2017, 13:05 (Ref:3783182)   #1
d.kenny
Rookie

d.kenny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rollcage foot design

Hi all

Im currently building a cage for a track car i have

I have all the tools to make the cage but want to build it to some sort of standard even if it will never compete

Im a bit confused by the msa specs though

It says a foot with captive nuts etc welded to floor with a minimum surface are of 120cm squared however what soze foot is adequate on the bottom of the cage to bolt to said plated welded to the shell?

Because of the design of the sills and where the cage needs to be positioned i cant sandwich the sill so will have to weld captive nuts onto the plate and then weld in and weld fillets to match the contour of the floor pan and sills internally

Am i doing the right thing or not?

Cheers
Old 26 Nov 2017, 14:24 (Ref:3783189)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
you don't say what car you're working on but I'd have thought google images would give you the info you need. The 10 x 12 cm (or larger) base plate does not have to be all in one plane as long as the horizontal part of it is big enough to take the cage foot plate.
The cage foot plate is usually around 5 x 12 cm - look on the cage manufacturers' websites for more pics.