Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 Feb 2018, 13:33 (Ref:3800715)   #1
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where Are They Now?

Hi everyone, sorry for not being on here for a while. A question has arisen over on my facebook racing page. Where are the Capri's that were raced by BILL COX & DENNIS KNOTT? These two racers were the among the mainstay pioneers of Capri Special Saloon racing back in my days in the game. But whatever did happen to their steeds? I mean were they sold on as racers to other drivers, or are they languishing in a barn somewhere? Or have they gone to that circuit in the sky? A good start would be, to see if either Bill or Denis are still with us? I think that Denis had a garage in the Northampton area, although I may be wrong. Anyone recall them, anyone have any information? Thanks, Gerry Taylor.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3800739)   #2
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bill Cox's Capri had a 7.6 litre Chevvy engine (IIRC) and was painted red. Dennis Nott's car was maroon with a broad stripe with arrow at the front and was also around 7.6 litre Chevvy powered. I think the Cox car was the faster of the two. Have no idea what happened to them or their drivers. They raced in the early/mid '70s.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 16:52 (Ref:3800740)   #3
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bill Cox was sponsored by Red Rover, a breakdown recovery company, I think.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 17:12 (Ref:3800743)   #4
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
As a youngster I finally persuaded my Dad to take me to see the racing one day at Mallory Park. Bill Cox's Capri was there then and I proudly said to Dad "That's Bill Cox's car". "How do you know that?" "I recognise the registration number, WRC2". "Yes, but how do you know the name of the owner?". "Oh, it was pictured in Hot Car Magazine last month!" (I read & remembered every page as a kid!)
The same day we were walking around the paddock and Dad told me to "Go and ask the man sitting in that car over there. This was apparently someone called John Surtees. How Dad knew who he was I don't know, I'd never seen him in Hot Car!
Old 15 Feb 2018, 21:27 (Ref:3801686)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
As a youngster I finally persuaded my Dad to take me to see the racing one day at Mallory Park. Bill Cox's Capri was there then and I proudly said to Dad "That's Bill Cox's car". "How do you know that?" "I recognise the registration number, WRC2". "Yes, but how do you know the name of the owner?". "Oh, it was pictured in Hot Car Magazine last month!" (I read & remembered every page as a kid!)
The same day we were walking around the paddock and Dad told me to "Go and ask the man sitting in that car over there. This was apparently someone called John Surtees. How Dad knew who he was I don't know, I'd never seen him in Hot Car!
😄😎
Old 16 Feb 2018, 07:25 (Ref:3801763)   #6
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't remember - who raced a rather ratty-looking gold Capri Special saloon?

I would imagine that one shook itself apart years ago!
Old 16 Feb 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3801885)   #7
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somewhere in the back of my head, poss THAT CCC edition featuring Super Saloons that he had the nickname Dennis Ring king Nott.. Did they ever race at the 'Ring in early 70 's ?
Old 13 Nov 2020, 10:02 (Ref:4016311)   #8
PeteC
Rookie

PeteC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor View Post
Hi everyone, sorry for not being on here for a while. A question has arisen over on my facebook racing page. Where are the Capri's that were raced by BILL COX & DENNIS KNOTT? These two racers were the among the mainstay pioneers of Capri Special Saloon racing back in my days in the game. But whatever did happen to their steeds? I mean were they sold on as racers to other drivers, or are they languishing in a barn somewhere? Or have they gone to that circuit in the sky? A good start would be, to see if either Bill or Denis are still with us? I think that Denis had a garage in the Northampton area, although I may be wrong. Anyone recall them, anyone have any information? Thanks, Gerry Taylor.
Dennis Knott lived in Melton Mowbrey. I, along with a mate, bought his converted coach transporter, around march 1974. He still had the Capri then. We took a pair of seats out do we could get 2 cars (MG T-Types) in.