Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Oct 2007, 13:07 (Ref:2052632)   #1
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT3 and GT4 in America

What are thoughts about GT3 and GT4 racing coming to America?

Using the SRO / FIA GT3-GT4 rules. http://www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/GT3ECreg.html

Do you think this is a good idea? is there a market for this racing? after all the US does have IMSA GT3, SWGT, Grand AM GT, Viper Racing League, Ferrari Challenge, SCCA GT1, Touring 1, & Super Touring, and NASA, Super Touring 1, 2 and Super Unlimited. some others I may be forgetting. All these race series and cars may fit into the FIA GT3 or GT4 classes.

Would there be a market??

Inquiring ears would like to know.

TIA
Tom
Old 27 Oct 2007, 13:59 (Ref:2052663)   #2
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I'd rather see the SRO taking a look at Koni Challenge to get some inspiration for their GT4 programme.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 14:27 (Ref:2052675)   #3
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not sure there really is going to be much of a market for these cars. We already have Speed GT and Grand-Am GT which use GT3 based cars. And for GT4 there are already several smaller series.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 04:52 (Ref:2053015)   #4
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
GT3 and GT4 in North America why ?? there are already too much GT series there : Speed World Cahllenge, Koni Challenge, Trans Am...

but why not the SWC using the FIA GT3 regulations !
Old 28 Oct 2007, 05:14 (Ref:2053017)   #5
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Trans Am was dead?

And I'd be all for Speed World Challenge adopting GT3. They already share much of the same cars.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 11:36 (Ref:2053176)   #6
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru_WRX_STi

but why not the SWC using the FIA GT3 regulations !
Gt3 cars are slower then SWC.

Take the Toyo RA1s off the SWC cars and put on real slicks and they will be close to GT2 speeds, which they are not far off of now.
Old 29 Oct 2007, 15:39 (Ref:2054123)   #7
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Speed GT/World Challenge is hardly GT racing, 4 door Caddy's and Audi RS6 are Touring Sedans IMHO and do not belong in GT racing. They are also using Toyo R1 tires which is a DOT classed street/racing tire, FIAGT uses real racing slicks.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 12:32 (Ref:2055831)   #8
Sportscarguy08
Racer

Sportscarguy08 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If your looking at gt3 action, there might be a potential GT3 entry at the daytona 24 hours in the distant future...though the car would need to fit into the regulations for that class but would essentially be the same construction.....

At the moment if you want GT3/GT4 action all you need is a plane ticket over to Europe so you can see just how amazing these series are.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 12:40 (Ref:2055837)   #9
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportscarguy08
At the moment if you want GT3/GT4 action all you need is a plane ticket over to Europe so you can see just how amazing these series are.
GT4 has hardly been an "amazing series" thus far.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 15:58 (Ref:2055969)   #10
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
GT4 has hardly been an "amazing series" thus far.
Few series are amazing the first year, give it a few year.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 16:32 (Ref:2055991)   #11
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Absolutely - But that wasn't the isue in hand
Old 1 Nov 2007, 02:32 (Ref:2056504)   #12
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb
Speed GT/World Challenge is hardly GT racing, 4 door Caddy's and Audi RS6 are Touring Sedans IMHO and do not belong in GT racing. They are also using Toyo R1 tires which is a DOT classed street/racing tire, FIAGT uses real racing slicks.

I bet your a proud member of NASA too, tell Mike Kojima hi for me.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 02:39 (Ref:2056505)   #13
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
In defense of GT3, the races I have seen are pretty good.

Ford at SEMA has announced it would have a Spec series (like we need another one of those) based around a GT4 version of the FR500 "Boy Racer". I look at GT4 being a step above Showroom Stock.

I am ready for all of our series to accept rule packages more reflective of the world market.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 04:42 (Ref:2056531)   #14
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You mean all of the cars racing now aren't real cars???
Old 1 Nov 2007, 11:59 (Ref:2056799)   #15
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
You mean all of the cars racing now aren't real cars???
except for four wheels, are any of them??
Old 1 Nov 2007, 12:05 (Ref:2056805)   #16
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie
In defense of GT3, the races I have seen are pretty good.

Ford at SEMA has announced it would have a Spec series (like we need another one of those) based around a GT4 version of the FR500 "Boy Racer". I look at GT4 being a step above Showroom Stock.

I am ready for all of our series to accept rule packages more reflective of the world market.
GT4 a step above show room stock? When was the last time you watched a SCCA -Show Room Stock race, A Stock, Touring 1 or Touring 2 ?? Or NASA races ? Or pulled apart and blue printed a show room stock engine?

Until one gets out and sees all the <koff> legal enhansments to "Show Room stock' one does not really see what goes on in the race shops.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 14:49 (Ref:2056967)   #17
AJA
Rookie

AJA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To me it would be nice to have something that you could run 1 car in many different series. ATM you need one Corvette to run SWC, another to run Grand-Am. I don't think it is possible to list all the Porsches that can run too. I read about various teams in Europe being able to run a British GT race, then the FIA GT3 race, then other national championships,then various enduro events, and say, why can't the US come up with a standard set of rules for GT cars. To move up and around in US GT racing, every step you take requires the purchase of a different car.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2657377)   #18
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry to exhume such an old thread, but I stumbled across this on the Belgian website http://sport.turbomagazine.be/ :

Quote:
De GT4 European Cup begint aan een vierde seizoen en met een verwachte startgrid van tussen de 20 en 30 wagens lijkt de basis van de GT-racerij eindelijk goed van de grond te komen. Bovendien zijn ook andere continenten, waaronder Aziƫ en Noord-Amerika, klaar om de filosofie te importeren. De GT4 Asia Cup begint in ieder geval midden mei.
Now, my Dutch is not perfect, and FIRE or someone else might want to correct me, but if I (and the google translator) understand this right, the translation of this paragraph would be:

Quote:
The European GT4 Cup begins its fourth season and with expected grids of 20 to 30 cars, the basis of GT-racing has finally got its feet on the ground. Moreover, other continents - including Asia and North America, are ready to import the concept. The Asian GT4 Cup begins in mid may, anyway.
The author of this is Joost Custers, who, I think, also writes for DSC.
I am wondering now, if this is only speculation or if there is indeed an initiative for an American GT4 series - and if so, which sanctioning body?
One could of course think that this refers to the new GTS-class of Speed World Challenge, but I have another theory:

[Conspiracy Theory ]Perhaps I am getting a bit ahead of myself here, but could this be a further attempt by IMSA to attack Grand Am, this time by trying to lure away teams from the Continental Tire series (the GS class is almost GT4) ??
Some normally well informed posters on here and on the americanlemansfans.com-Forum have recently commented about how IMSA could do with a Continental Tire style series, so that makes me even somewhat more suspicious... [/Conspiracy Theory]
Old 21 Mar 2010, 20:09 (Ref:2657386)   #19
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Translation is correct.

Equipe Verschuur will enter a Chevrolet Camaro in Dutch GT4. This car is based on the Riley developed Camaro for Continental Tire GrandAm series. From what I understand there's not much difference between the GrandAm version and the GT4 version. Verschuur is the exclusive distributor of the Riley Camaro in Europe (except Russia).

A Belgium team is developing a Camaro "GT3" for Belcar.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 00:35 (Ref:2661317)   #20
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Creating a rival series to the SCCA WC and the Grand-Am Challenge would be an incredibly stupid move by the IMSA. They should instead take over one of them (as long as they run it properly).
Old 28 Mar 2010, 01:09 (Ref:2661325)   #21
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL View Post
What are thoughts about GT3 and GT4 racing coming to America?

Using the SRO / FIA GT3-GT4 rules. http://www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/GT3ECreg.html

Do you think this is a good idea? is there a market for this racing? after all the US does have IMSA GT3, SWGT, Grand AM GT, Viper Racing League, Ferrari Challenge, SCCA GT1, Touring 1, & Super Touring, and NASA, Super Touring 1, 2 and Super Unlimited. some others I may be forgetting. All these race series and cars may fit into the FIA GT3 or GT4 classes.

Would there be a market??

Inquiring ears would like to know.

TIA
Tom
None of those things you mentioned, save for IMSA GT3(misnomer really, it's just Porsche's) and WCGT really fit into GT3's realm.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 01:10 (Ref:2661326)   #22
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Creating a rival series to the SCCA WC and the Grand-Am Challenge would be an incredibly stupid move by the IMSA. They should instead take over one of them (as long as they run it properly).
Bingo. WCGT could give them fits if they start getting their heads on straight.

EDIT: just realized old thread is old.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 01:13 (Ref:2661330)   #23
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Sorry to exhume such an old thread, but I stumbled across this on the Belgian website http://sport.turbomagazine.be/ :

Now, my Dutch is not perfect, and FIRE or someone else might want to correct me, but if I (and the google translator) understand this right, the translation of this paragraph would be:

The author of this is Joost Custers, who, I think, also writes for DSC.
I am wondering now, if this is only speculation or if there is indeed an initiative for an American GT4 series - and if so, which sanctioning body?
One could of course think that this refers to the new GTS-class of Speed World Challenge, but I have another theory:

[Conspiracy Theory ]Perhaps I am getting a bit ahead of myself here, but could this be a further attempt by IMSA to attack Grand Am, this time by trying to lure away teams from the Continental Tire series (the GS class is almost GT4) ??
Some normally well informed posters on here and on the americanlemansfans.com-Forum have recently commented about how IMSA could do with a Continental Tire style series, so that makes me even somewhat more suspicious... [/Conspiracy Theory]
I think you're just reading too much into it, tbh. IMSA is smart enough to realize that they can't stretch themselves too far(I hope). They need to do what they do best, and that's top end sportscar racing.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 10:24 (Ref:2662541)   #24
997 brakedust
Rookie

United States
997 brakedust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be great to have the FIA GT3 series in the states. The variety of cars on the grid is fantastic. Don't care for the tube frame concept of Grand Am in the states.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2662603)   #25
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post

I assume you might be referencing a comment I had made. There is nothing behind my comments, more just idol ramblings.