Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Aug 2008, 08:53 (Ref:2264326)   #26
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That seems to be a problem of more championships, including F1. But what superstars and rivalry does DTM have? Yes there are international worldclassdriver, but for intense rivalry, Neal vs. Plato is hard to beat. Although Farfus and Tarquini in WTCC don't seem to get along wel either. Unfortunately Hamilton vs. Alonso was over when Alonso went to the slower Renault-team. I hope next year Renault will be on top again, or Alonso will drive a Ferrari.

Sorry to go a bit of topic...
Old 6 Aug 2008, 21:09 (Ref:2264776)   #27
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
That seems to be a problem of more championships, including F1. But what superstars and rivalry does DTM have?
Err, have you Actually watched DTM? If rivalry = close racing, then it's the series - a bit like the BTCC used to be in the 'good-old-days'

i.e. if you come back with the mirrors, you haven't been trying

As for superstars - there's Bert Shnyder

(and some bloke called Rolf Shoemaker,,,,on the other hand )

Last edited by thepits!; 6 Aug 2008 at 21:14.

But don't care.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 13:07 (Ref:2269026)   #28
AMG Fan
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
AMG Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be their on race day, I hope a big crowd turns up.

These are the fastest touring cars remember, with some world class drivers.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 21:16 (Ref:2269293)   #29
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Fan
These are the fastest touring cars remember, with some world class drivers.
Formula One is faster.. Faster doesn't mean better!

I know what I would want to watch!
Old 15 Aug 2008, 00:47 (Ref:2269387)   #30
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits!
Err, have you Actually watched DTM? If rivalry = close racing, then it's the series - a bit like the BTCC used to be in the 'good-old-days'
Really. Whatever series you're watching, please tell me where I can find it.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 08:09 (Ref:2269464)   #31
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed, the DTM I know is far from the show you're describing...
Old 15 Aug 2008, 10:08 (Ref:2269521)   #32
AMG Fan
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally
Formula One is faster.. Faster doesn't mean better!

I know what I would want to watch!
True, but the racing in general happens to be close in DTM.

BTCC is course a great championship, but it's nice to go to something different.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 19:54 (Ref:2269806)   #33
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
Really. Whatever series you're watching, please tell me where I can find it.
Oh come on! Are you trying to tell me that DTM - generally - doesn't produce Close Racing - and occasionaly even some controversy??

Of course F1's are faster - that's why they are called "Formula 1" , but IMHO you could describe DTM as the F1 of 'Saloon-Car Racing'.

They are rear-wheel drive (as God intended ), with loads of aerodynamic tweaks, look loosely like the road car...........

but are nothing like them. bring 'em on

But don't care.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 20:01 (Ref:2269811)   #34
AMG Fan
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
Quote:
Oh come on! Are you trying to tell me that DTM - generally - doesn't produce Close Racing - and occasionaly even some controversy??

Of course F1's are faster - that's why they are called "Formula 1" , but IMHO you could describe DTM as the F1 of 'Saloon-Car Racing'.

They are rear-wheel drive (as God intended ), with loads of aerodynamic tweaks, look loosely like the road car...........

Exactly, IMO their is nothing else like them in the touring car world. S2000-spec cars are great, but nearly every major European tin top championship uses them. DTM cars are pretty unique, with their carbonfibre chassis's and high levels of downforce.

Norisring and Nurburgring for example were certainly not boring. That's my personal opinion of course.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 20:24 (Ref:2269822)   #35
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Exactly, IMO their is nothing else like them in the touring car world. DTM cars are pretty unique, with their carbonfibre chassis's and high levels of downforce. Norisring and Nurburgring for example were certainly not boring. That's my personal opinion of course.
and mine.........

and hopefully a few thousand others in the UK, otherwise.......

2008 will be the last time we see them here

But don't care.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 20:26 (Ref:2269823)   #36
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Close racing yes....but overtaking?
Old 15 Aug 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2269826)   #37
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
It has been known - with the odd loss of mirrors and aero-tweaks thrown in at no extra charge

But don't care.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 22:19 (Ref:2270282)   #38
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
The situation has actually improved a lot since last year. While it used to be a teams order only sport, this year I have several times seen serious fighting for position inbetween the same brands top drivers. So it's not the sleeping pill it used to be.

But for sure, the cars are still made too easy to damage, with all those carbon plastic parts that go flying off in all directions at the slightest of touches. That must go before we get true TC-esque action in DTM.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2270426)   #39
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Exactly, IMO their is nothing else like them in the touring car world.
Of course not, because DTM aren't touringcars anymore. They're weird carbon prototypes with stupid flaps everywhere that vaguely resemble roadcars and that have nothing to do with touringcar racing. Todays DTM is a pure insult to the proper DTM of the late 80's, early 90's.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 10:55 (Ref:2270434)   #40
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
Of course not, because DTM aren't touringcars anymore. They're weird carbon prototypes with stupid flaps everywhere that vaguely resemble roadcars and that have nothing to do with touringcar racing. Todays DTM is a pure insult to the proper DTM of the late 80's, early 90's.
Exactly. DTM is more like GT racing. When there is any overtaking, alot of parts fall of the car and the overtaking driver get's a warning. DTM should loose all aerodynamics to improve the series.

Look at this car

That doesn't even look like a road car anymore, with that ugly back door and those flaps.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2270476)   #41
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I don't understand why Audi/Mercedes wants all these wings and other aerodynamic parts. If there's a bit contact parts breakdown and the car is no longer competitive. Maybe some people make the conclusion: "Audi/Mercedes cars are unreliable"?
Old 17 Aug 2008, 20:00 (Ref:2270644)   #42
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmau
Exactly. DTM is more like GT racing. When there is any overtaking, alot of parts fall of the car and the overtaking driver get's a warning.
How is that like GT racing? There is much more contact and close racing in FIA GT than in DTM - and the cars withstand it way better.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 21:18 (Ref:2270678)   #43
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I am concerned DTM is a white elephant in this country and should be laid to rest.
Plenty of hype but poor delivery, take the timetable for the Sunday the previous race finishes at 12.00 and the race following starts at 15.00, so in a 3 hour window you have a one hour race for DTM, the rest is all build up and an International Press Conference, wow, cant wait!
The racing is between a couple of teams and is normally over within 10 laps.
IMO the DTM screws up an otherwise good race programme. But all credit to Brands for booking Lewis, plenty of tickets sold no doubt for a brief appearance and a few laps in a F1. In 2009 I would rather DTM stayed in Germany where clearly it has a good following.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 10:55 (Ref:2270864)   #44
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes. It's impressively boring.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 19:07 (Ref:2271130)   #45
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
Yes. It's impressively boring.
but has a long way to go before it gets as boring as...

Formula1zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But don't care.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 21:01 (Ref:2272969)   #46
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmau
Look at this car

Yep - isn't it great - so what that it doesn't look like a 'road-going' car - what PROPER racing car does?

But don't care.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 22:04 (Ref:2273015)   #47
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I treked up to Donnington once to watch DTM and it was rather dull.

Whilst I tend to watch the races on Motors these days, it doesn't excite me much as the racing's generally pretty processional and the two marque format makes the cars too samey (no matter how interesting they are technically).

Sadly, the decision to race on the Brands Indy circuit will guarantee I won't be there to see them in the UK and if that sounds the death knell for their visits to the UK, then so be it, as far as I'm concerned.

As for it being like GT racing - I was at a cold damp Silverstone, but that was a race!!!!

I can't really see the series being of much interest to anyone except Mercedes and Audi employees...

M.

Last edited by marcosgt; 21 Aug 2008 at 22:06.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 15:47 (Ref:2273409)   #48
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosgt
I treked up to Donnington once to watch DTM and it was rather dull.
I'm not surprised ....... they were at DoNington

I think they will be great on the Brands short circuit ..... 82 laps!

But don't care.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 15:54 (Ref:2275682)   #49
Bibs
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Malling, Kent, UK
Bibs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator
Plenty of hype but poor delivery, take the timetable for the Sunday the previous race finishes at 12.00 and the race following starts at 15.00, so in a 3 hour window you have a one hour race for DTM, the rest is all build up and an International Press Conference, wow, cant wait!
There is a race finishing at 12. The main event is 13.00 to approx 14.05 then another race at 15.00 and you think that's poor delivery?
Old 26 Aug 2008, 16:54 (Ref:2275713)   #50
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whichever way you put it, there is a one hour DTM race in a 3-hour window. That`s 2 hours of no RACING. It can hardly be regarded as rivetting viewing can it.

If you take into account that the forecasters are sadly NOT predicting rain, then by the time you factor-in that most people will be alseep after 10 laps of the snooze-fest that will undoubtedly be the DTM race, then that 3 hours is gonna be quite tiresome.

That said, if Lewis is allowed to do a few do-nuts at Paddock then that should break-up an element of the boredom one-hour preceeding the race. As for the hour after I`m not sure... time for the paying punters to reflect on their purchase maybe.

** checks timetable **

Panic Over !!! We get some Mercedes Classic Cars!!! Well that`s a relief....

Seriously though, it will give everyone a chance to move themselves a few feet back from the safety fences in preparation for the VW Polos..... Now that IS something to get excited about!! Such a shame there is only 1 race though.