Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Mar 2010, 14:03 (Ref:2651722)   #1
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren F1 rear wing stall device

Just wondering if a device like this http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/8558279.stm could be interesting for sports cars too, especially thinking about the long straights in Le Mans
Old 14 Mar 2010, 14:29 (Ref:2651755)   #2
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
It uses the shark fin, and I'm not sure that this kind of aero appendix is actually legal on LMPs.

(Which is great, aesthetically speaking...)
Old 14 Mar 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2651762)   #3
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
Think the shark fin gets mandatory for 2011 to avoid flying LMPs - so I would make no sense to ban it in 2010 and the make it mandatory in 2011.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 15:23 (Ref:2651820)   #4
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
Think the shark fin gets mandatory for 2011 to avoid flying LMPs - so I would make no sense to ban it in 2010 and the make it mandatory in 2011.
I've heard nothing about shark fins being mandated for LMP starting 2011 to curb yaw incidents. In fact the preliminary 2011 regulations I have seen make no mention of any major changes to the aero package for 2011 and beyond which leads one to wonder if the ACO has any plans at all.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 15:31 (Ref:2651826)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Moretti used that aero , as did Euromotorsports on a 333SP years ago at Le Mans . Not sure if it was effective or not ?

Supposed to be for straight line stability .
Old 14 Mar 2010, 16:08 (Ref:2651849)   #6
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Moretti used that aero , as did Euromotorsports on a 333SP years ago at Le Mans . Not sure if it was effective or not ?

Supposed to be for straight line stability .
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/ferrari333-4.html
Old 14 Mar 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2651885)   #7
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
I've heard nothing about shark fins being mandated for LMP starting 2011 to curb yaw incidents. In fact the preliminary 2011 regulations I have seen make no mention of any major changes to the aero package for 2011 and beyond which leads one to wonder if the ACO has any plans at all.
Hm, tought I read it somewhere - maybe a dream?
Old 14 Mar 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2652011)   #8
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
Hm, tought I read it somewhere - maybe a dream?
Just did some asking around and it would appear that any major aero changes will not occur until 2012. Trying to dig in to see if any specifics have been discussed.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 19:21 (Ref:2652019)   #9
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Just did some asking around and it would appear that any major aero changes will not occur until 2012. Trying to dig in to see if any specifics have been discussed.
I think that means changes beyond what has already been agreed, removing the DDD for 2011 has been agreed for some time and was confirmed several times during todays coverage on the BBC including from the lips of Martin Whitmarsh who hopefully has some idea what is going on
Old 14 Mar 2010, 19:55 (Ref:2652060)   #10
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This isn't the F1 forum
Old 14 Mar 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2652139)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
This isn't the F1 forum
True enough, but the issue was raised in a sports car context, so as long as it stays on topic, that's fine by me!
Old 14 Mar 2010, 21:18 (Ref:2652142)   #12
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
Dead-Eye refers to the post from fourwheeldrift.
So question one is if the shark fin would be legal and two if it would be legal to use this McLaren device. A few mph additional top speed would for sure help in LM.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 22:46 (Ref:2652207)   #13
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
The shark fin got coverage in Autosport in late December / early January if I remember rightly. It was illustrated with a pretty nasty looking photoshop job of an R15 with the fin.

Initially I loathed the idea, but then remembered that one of the cars that first captivated me with sportscars was the Kremer CK-5, so maybe a dorsal fin isn't all bad.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 23:23 (Ref:2652238)   #14
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
CK5? Yeeeurgh.

Nuff said?
Old 15 Mar 2010, 00:12 (Ref:2652261)   #15
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
CK5? Yeeeurgh.

Nuff said?
Nope, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. The 10 year that saw it in the pages of GPI in 1982 thought it looked like a spaceship and infinitely better than the single seater race cars seen until then.

Throw in little elements like it was the car Bellof got his first sportscar ride in (Spa '82 if I remember rightly) and it's got additional appeal, then acid test it by a quick revisit to Racing Sportscars and it still looks like a good car.

And if we're disagreeing about the CK5 how about the Sauber SHS C6? It too had a bit of a fin effect going on.

Honestly, while I don't think the F1 cars with fins look brilliant, other applications (some Indycars from a while back) work well, and I figure that with a bit of creativity an LMP designer could make something work.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 02:04 (Ref:2652320)   #16
skeeskirrt
Racer

United States
Boney Mountain
skeeskirrt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aren't the LMPs required to have two roll-hoops? Shark fins?
Old 15 Mar 2010, 02:23 (Ref:2652328)   #17
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
I think that means changes beyond what has already been agreed, removing the DDD for 2011 has been agreed for some time and was confirmed several times during todays coverage on the BBC including from the lips of Martin Whitmarsh who hopefully has some idea what is going on
I'm referring to LMP regulations. If you read the above post there's a mention of shark fins for LMPs to reduce yaw flip incidents. The ACO has indicated further changes to limit that possibility but so far the 2011 regulations have no mention of anything new. Speaking with an engineer off the record, the indication is that these changes are being pushed to 2012.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 10:46 (Ref:2652503)   #18
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So we have a major change in engine regs for next year and then possibly another major change in chassis regs the year after...
Old 15 Mar 2010, 10:49 (Ref:2652506)   #19
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
It is as costly, but spread over 2 years, not 1?
Old 15 Mar 2010, 10:52 (Ref:2652508)   #20
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
So we have a major change in engine regs for next year and then possibly another major change in chassis regs the year after...
Isn't adding a dorsal fin a simple body mod, not so much of a chasiss change
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 11:01 (Ref:2652513)   #21
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
If it is required to take a lateral load, to provide anti yaw stability, then you may need to uprate what/how it fastens to the rest of the car?
So it may not be that simple a job?
Plus, you may need something different on a coupe to a barchetta...
Old 15 Mar 2010, 13:02 (Ref:2652610)   #22
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
It is as costly, but spread over 2 years, not 1?
I don't think it's that simple. You're re-engineering the cars for one year and again for the next instead of being able to buy a car and race it, essentially unchanged, for several seasons.
Also, the way I interpreted Mike's post, it's not only a fin but possibly more major changes as well.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2652840)   #23
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
The shark fin got coverage in Autosport in late December / early January if I remember rightly. It was illustrated with a pretty nasty looking photoshop job of an R15 with the fin.

Initially I loathed the idea, but then remembered that one of the cars that first captivated me with sportscars was the Kremer CK-5, so maybe a dorsal fin isn't all bad.
Thanks mate, will check Autosport tonight - already tought I am getting mad.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2652937)   #24
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
Autosport 28th Jan 2010:
Quote:
LMP1 shark fin delayed until 2011.
But thats about the mandatory one with a definied size and position, maybe teams still could use one?
Old 15 Mar 2010, 20:28 (Ref:2652949)   #25
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'm referring to LMP regulations. If you read the above post there's a mention of shark fins for LMPs to reduce yaw flip incidents. The ACO has indicated further changes to limit that possibility but so far the 2011 regulations have no mention of anything new. Speaking with an engineer off the record, the indication is that these changes are being pushed to 2012.
Sorry I think I was lost, don't normally stray far from F1 or sprint/Hillclimb discussions .