Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Feb 2007, 19:30 (Ref:1831312)   #1
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A strange idea...

If I was to build a Porsche 962 in 80's spec with new parts (but same technology) what would the price tag be? Would it be affordable or cheaper to buy a used 962?
Old 1 Feb 2007, 19:44 (Ref:1831318)   #2
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The biggest expence would be trying to find a 962 engine.

You could do it, the 956/962 weren't a particularly complicated cars in terms of technology, no carbon fibre tub to worry about, maybe electronics were complicated with the Bosch motoronic system, or is that just me who is flumoxed by electronics?. The materials certainly wouldn't be a problem.

I certainly would love to build a LMP3 size car to race. Have a look at the Saker, certainly an eye opener in terms of ease of production.
Old 1 Feb 2007, 19:50 (Ref:1831323)   #3
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I reckon the chassis wouldnt be that bad . Its an all aluminium construction and a tube roll over structure .
Old 1 Feb 2007, 19:58 (Ref:1831327)   #4
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I reckon the chassis wouldnt be that bad . Its an all aluminium construction and a tube roll over structure .
Thats what I meant about materials, even with a bit of honeycomb in the mix, its not exactly a problem sourcing it.
Old 1 Feb 2007, 22:00 (Ref:1831424)   #5
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you can still buy Thompson tubs and they are not crazy prices. Engines are available at circa £50-60k fresh. Corners probably £20-30k new. Gearbox: don't know about availability or cost. Body work (floors, nose, tail, tunnels etc) £20-30k. Other stuff (looms, lights dash, wings, wheels, brakes etc etc): £30-40k. All in all: I would suggest a cost of between £150-200k.

Don't forget the key: £100

While it would be a fabulous car, it would have no provenance. For a bit more, one could buy good original car that would have history--and you could have a go at racing it as well.
Old 1 Feb 2007, 22:07 (Ref:1831434)   #6
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
That seems phenominally expensive!

I am sure you could pick one up for less than that!

A tub shouldn't be that expensive, from Thompsons maybe but you could built your own one from the porsche drawings.
Old 1 Feb 2007, 22:13 (Ref:1831441)   #7
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Make the chassis from aluminium , but they also had a very basic form of bonded structure at riveted metal joints . A thin linen (i think it was linen) was bonded to the mating surface with the help of an autoclav . Now , how to do that in your garage is beyond me !!??

What the aluminiun spec is , im not sure but maybe 7075 as it is rigid but can be brittle as well , 2024 sounds like a better aluminiun to me , but im almost certainly wrong !!

Anyone know ?
Old 1 Feb 2007, 22:33 (Ref:1831458)   #8
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
That seems phenominally expensive!

I am sure you could pick one up for less than that!

A tub shouldn't be that expensive, from Thompsons maybe but you could built your own one from the porsche drawings.
A really rough original one could possibly found for between £90-100k; however, you are looking at a major rebuild--all the way through the car. Minimum: 50k more; maximum: how far do you want to go. Remember that these cars are extremely quick and need to be put together correctly. Compromises can be extremely costly.
Old 1 Feb 2007, 22:46 (Ref:1831468)   #9
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
As Badger said make one up with sheet aluminium. Bond it etc.

The capabilities of new adhesives are alot better than in 1981/82 when the 956 was being developed. I would be happy to drive my own designed and built car at 200mph+

I would love it!
Old 1 Feb 2007, 22:48 (Ref:1831470)   #10
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gunnar Racing was working at a spaceframed 962 replica project some time ago: http://www.gunnarracing.com/project/G-3/G3-1003.htm
Old 1 Feb 2007, 22:55 (Ref:1831475)   #11
canam
Veteran

Quote:
As Badger said make one up with sheet aluminium. Bond it etc.

The capabilities of new adhesives are alot better than in 1981/82 when the 956 was being developed. I would be happy to drive my own designed and built car at 200mph+

I would love it!
...and I would love to see it.
Old 1 Feb 2007, 23:01 (Ref:1831480)   #12
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Please look at my profile before you cast dispersions, thank you!
Old 12 Feb 2007, 02:35 (Ref:1838970)   #13
962gtp
Rookie

United States
Oklahoma
962gtp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can assure you a brand new 962 can be bought for less than a new one. Check this site www.gtprototypes.com
Old 12 Feb 2007, 09:24 (Ref:1839127)   #14
canam
Veteran

So, for my $110,000, I can have a rolling chassis comprising: 1) fittings for porsche 962 turbo engine; 2) carbon-kevlar bodywork (incorporating rear wing in long-tail form); 3) brembo calipers and rotors; 4) Porsche gearbox and linkages (and one set of gears); 5) traditional dash incorporating all guages and switches; 6) ATL fillers; 7) all cooling ducts/vents in carbon or appropriate material (for starters)?
Old 12 Feb 2007, 12:43 (Ref:1839286)   #15
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 962gtp
I can assure you a brand new 962 can be bought for less than a new one. www.gtprototypes.com
I dont understand that remark !?!?!?
Old 12 Feb 2007, 13:10 (Ref:1839310)   #16
962gtp
Rookie

United States
Oklahoma
Well your close, 1) Fittings for engine of your choice, if the 962 turbo is what you want, plumbing and wiring and bell housing machine for the Porsche will be in place for that engine. 2) Short tail only at this time with external rear wing. The carbon bodywork would be an option and with the world wide shortage of Carbon Fiber is going to only be available if and when supply allows. 3) Brembo’s are an option 4) The gearboxes have lots of different options, the original can some times be had but at great expense, G50 with mods is a choice or the 915 (911) or the better deal is a aftermarket new gearbox. 5) The gauges are the AIM dash mounted to the Momo steering wheel; the stock layout can also be done if necessary. 6)ATL or Fuelsafe cell and one set of fillers and block off plate for the unused side. 7) Vents are however you like subject to answer #2. Really it’s not the sum of the parts that make the car expensive, it’s the race history and the limited number ever made. Every time someone writes one off the others go up ten thousand in value. Nothing keeps the price high except the people that own them. If you really want a 962 it can be done reasonably, is it exactly like the original cars no, will it look, feel, sound and function just like the original absolutely and in some ways better.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 13:20 (Ref:1839322)   #17
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Do you build it under-licence from Porsche?

No disrspect to you, your car sounds fantastic but I would prefer a Porsche built one. I wouldn't buy a TC or a RLR chassis.

I do fancy a real 962. Apparently Gerry Marshall used to use one at trackdays. If I had the money to buy one I would get it sufficiently modified to fit my large frame.

John Watson is quoted in Motorsport saying that the 962 was like a very fast road car compared to the Jaguar XJR9, which was like a glorified single seater.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 13:51 (Ref:1839353)   #18
962gtp
Rookie

United States
Oklahoma
Thanks, Porsche does not license this car and if you notice is not called a “Porsche 962”
I understand about wanting to own a real car, this is defiantly not for everyone; the people that have 300 grand of extra money lying around wouldn’t look twice at this car. Even then it gets you a car that no matter what in the back of the owners mind is thinking, “Do I really want to risk my very expensive car”. For me it takes the fun right out of it. That’s why so many of these cars rarely get really raced. Easy on us “Large frame guys” I’m six foot and 240# and getting in and out it the biggest problem. Surprisingly once inside it’s not too bad. It’s a little odd having a window so close to the right side of your head. But headroom is no trouble unless your much taller then the only mod you could do is mold a seat back and set on the floor of the car. Pretty hard to do a “Gurney Bubble” the door comes right over your head and it would have to be redone. The center divider can be moved over some but not a lot. There is about 18 inches per side to set if the tub is stock. Two people for me would be a very snug ride; tub is just a tiny bit less than 44 inches wide. Lets say you would have to be real friendly. It’s truly is a single seater with a great place for fuel pumps or fire systems or your ice chest.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 13:51 (Ref:1839356)   #19
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You wouldn't be able to race it in historics or against real 962s..
Old 12 Feb 2007, 14:11 (Ref:1839377)   #20
962gtp
Rookie

United States
Oklahoma
You know I really don’t know if you could or not. There where many people that built 962’s back in the day TC prototypes, Jim Chapman, GTI Engineering all did cars that get to run now. How could anyone tell with all the serial number swapping that went on? We have a F3 car that is just out side the cut off date and have been given a waiver on a race-by-race basis. Depends on how may historic cars show up I guess. Even was allowed to run as a “ Indy-lite” car when only seven AIS Indycar cars showed up once. Probably be a better “A” sports SCCA car anyway. Start in the back and plow through everything else you couldn’t have more fun than that. How about a ultimate street car and forget the racing.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 14:54 (Ref:1839420)   #21
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
You wouldn't be able to race it in historics or against real 962s..
It would be allowed in britsports though!

962GTP, I am 6 ft 2 about 280lbs, I struggle to get into a Radical SR3 and also Sports 2000s. If I had £100k spare I would think about hiring a drive at Le Mans or the Nurburg 24hrs.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 15:32 (Ref:1839449)   #22
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
So, for my $110,000, I can have a rolling chassis comprising: 1) fittings for porsche 962 turbo engine; 2) carbon-kevlar bodywork (incorporating rear wing in long-tail form); 3) brembo calipers and rotors; 4) Porsche gearbox and linkages (and one set of gears); 5) traditional dash incorporating all guages and switches; 6) ATL fillers; 7) all cooling ducts/vents in carbon or appropriate material (for starters)?
$110,000??? dang that does not sound like much. I would have gessed double that.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 16:11 (Ref:1839485)   #23
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
If I had £100k spare I would think about hiring a drive at Le Mans or the Nurburg 24hrs.
You can get a drive at 'Ring 24 for well under a tenth of that sum...
Old 12 Feb 2007, 16:42 (Ref:1839513)   #24
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Aye I know. I just want to race there even if its in the lowest class.

The £96k left would be used on a Ligier and racing in the V De V Championship.