Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Apr 2019, 22:21 (Ref:3900367)   #76
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
In retrospect after 4 Merc 1-2's it was perhaps not the best deciscion to this year permanently switch to the thinner tyre thread that last year Mercedes clearly worked best with. In a season where getting the tyres switched on is quite difficult and critical that's quite the advantage to have.
Mate the Mercs need all the help they can get - that Ferrari engine is SO powerful
Old 28 Apr 2019, 22:36 (Ref:3900368)   #77
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Mate the Mercs need all the help they can get - that Ferrari engine is SO powerful
When was the last time a season started with 4 consecutive 1-2's from one team? Right, not what I would call a team in desperate need of help.

Take a look in what parts of the race the Merc's made the difference. Exactly those parts where you need your tyres to switch on and switch on quickly.

The Ferrari is strong for sure, but even on a track with this many straights that didn't make the difference.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 01:59 (Ref:3900381)   #78
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, Toto barely broke a smile. I'm glad I'm not the only one beating the drum. Ocon can't be too pleased either. It is still an even playing field in terms of points and it's a long season.

Ocon can't be too pleased either. Where would he go if Bottas wins the championship?
Replace Hamilton?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 29 Apr 2019, 03:06 (Ref:3900390)   #79
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toto was also on the team radio to allow Hamilton to attack Bottas in the closing stages. To me that is expected.

What if it was Bottas attacking Hamilton? Would Toto have been seen hitting the radio button?

Old 29 Apr 2019, 08:36 (Ref:3900416)   #80
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm unconvinced by the "Toto favours Lewis" camp. Toto is a racer, as well as a hugely competent manager (better than anyone at Ferrari). The racer in him wants his drivers to be free to race, but it would suit the manager if the same one just shaded the other every time. If they keep sharing the limelight, they'll be taking points off each other and could let another driver through to the WDC.

At the moment I'm delighted to see the Toto Racer holding sway over the Toto Manager. It's in complete contrast to the traditional Ferrari approach of favouring one driver even if that is at the expense of the team (and F1) as a whole.

Looking at the bigger picture, Mercedes and Ferrari are spending their hundreds of millions in F1 in order to build a better public image for the company. For me at least, it's Mercedes that is succeeding. Much as I would like to claim complete objectivity, F1 probably did contribute to me abandoning Jaguars and becoming a Mercedes owner, even though I know (now!) that the Jaguar is the better car.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 11:28 (Ref:3900454)   #81
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I'm unconvinced by the "Toto favours Lewis" camp. Toto is a racer, as well as a hugely competent manager (better than anyone at Ferrari). The racer in him wants his drivers to be free to race, but it would suit the manager if the same one just shaded the other every time. If they keep sharing the limelight, they'll be taking points off each other and could let another driver through to the WDC.

At the moment I'm delighted to see the Toto Racer holding sway over the Toto Manager. It's in complete contrast to the traditional Ferrari approach of favouring one driver even if that is at the expense of the team (and F1) as a whole.
Well put, but obviously if you are a fan of one driver and not the other, you’re going to interpret the situation to suit your own ‘agenda’....

The closing laps of the race, with LH chasing down Valtteri before making a small error, were the highlight of the rather boring race for me. Apart, that is, from Mark Webber’s comments (on C4) about Ferrari when they didn’t pit Leclerc for tyres sooner....
Old 29 Apr 2019, 12:21 (Ref:3900466)   #82
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I understand it can be misread as being for/against a driver but I confess the pit garage response to Bottas winning did appear to me, to be somewhat muted compared to previous winning celebrations.

However I also think Lewis played the race with a straight bat and did all he could to legally take the lead at the beginning. That he failed was purely due to Bottas' determination, so we have two good solid racers duking it out at the front, what more could we ask? If nothing else at least they provide some entertainment.

Ferrari are running scared at the moment. Being too cautious with their second driver's tyre strategy trying to cover off gawd knows who. They need to be more aggressive and let Leclerc loose. I don't think he would have won yesterday but he would have put on a good show trying.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 12:32 (Ref:3900468)   #83
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I don't think Ferrari could have done anything else to get Leclerc higher up.
An earlier stop would have put him on a 2-stop strategy and that wouldn't have got him any closer to Max.

Maybe something they could have tried was to pit Charles under the VSC and put him back on the medium compund if they had any new left.
An eventual safety car would have opened up a few possibilities then.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 12:46 (Ref:3900470)   #84
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Yep, Toto barely broke a smile. I'm glad I'm not the only one beating the drum. Ocon can't be too pleased either. It is still an even playing field in terms of points and it's a long season.

Ocon can't be too pleased either. Where would he go if Bottas wins the championship?
Replace Hamilton?

Maybe he was just reflecting on the much lower cost of Bottas and the great value he represents.He certainly seems able to cope with pressure.

Has anything emerged about Gasly's engine trouble yet?It sounded very sick when he left the circuit.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 14:10 (Ref:3900485)   #85
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Maybe he was just reflecting on the much lower cost of Bottas and the great value he represents.He certainly seems able to cope with pressure.

Has anything emerged about Gasly's engine trouble yet?It sounded very sick when he left the circuit.
RBR is saying drive shaft failure.

Richard
Old 29 Apr 2019, 15:54 (Ref:3900501)   #86
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The drive shaft at the end of the conrods?

Last edited by greentrumpet; 29 Apr 2019 at 15:55. Reason: autocorrect grrrrr
Old 29 Apr 2019, 16:07 (Ref:3900504)   #87
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I don't think Ferrari could have done anything else to get Leclerc higher up.
An earlier stop would have put him on a 2-stop strategy and that wouldn't have got him any closer to Max.

Maybe something they could have tried was to pit Charles under the VSC and put him back on the medium compund if they had any new left.
An eventual safety car would have opened up a few possibilities then.
Exactly, thanks for putting it so clearly. And Leclerc did not have any new medium sets anyway. The simple truth is he burned up his tyres during his glory run in the first stint. Anyone calling for Ferrari to pit him early was very clearly not paying attention or had some other agenda.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 22:27 (Ref:3900581)   #88
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
RBR is saying drive shaft failure.

Richard

Reminiscent of the time when Martin Bumble’s McLaren Peugeot erupted in a ball of flame (not for the first time) about 100 yards after the start at Silverstone. “Oil leak”, said Peugeot. “Yes”, said Martin, “Leaking out through the ___king great hole in the side of the block.”
Old 29 Apr 2019, 22:34 (Ref:3900585)   #89
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
Maybe? The actual wording from Honda and RBR is "suspected driveshaft issue". So nothing definitive yet.

My guess is that its something after and not before the clutch. But who knows... they could be lying. But why would they? They gain nothing. If the engine is toast, we will know as it will not be used again.

Richard
Old 29 Apr 2019, 22:50 (Ref:3900591)   #90
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
Maybe crankshaft and driveshaft got mixed up in translation...
Old 30 Apr 2019, 05:50 (Ref:3900628)   #91
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Maybe? The actual wording from Honda and RBR is "suspected driveshaft issue". So nothing definitive yet.

My guess is that its something after and not before the clutch. But who knows... they could be lying. But why would they? They gain nothing. If the engine is toast, we will know as it will not be used again.

Richard
Gasly:

"Things in the race went pretty well and we got to P6 but unfortunately we didn’t make it to the end as I had a driveshaft failure."
Old 30 Apr 2019, 06:00 (Ref:3900629)   #92
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Engine sounded normal when he stopped so always suggested something drivetrain.
Old 30 Apr 2019, 06:37 (Ref:3900631)   #93
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I've been watching F1 races on TV and at the circuits now for over 50 but on Sunday, I learned something new. Thanks do Danny Ricciardo's little incident, I know know that the cars are fitted with reversing lights!
Old 30 Apr 2019, 10:12 (Ref:3900673)   #94
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I've been watching F1 races on TV and at the circuits now for over 50 but on Sunday, I learned something new. Thanks do Danny Ricciardo's little incident, I know know that the cars are fitted with reversing lights!
First time I’ve seen those lights working, but everything points towards them being used in conjunction with rain light, so a bit confused......

https://www.racefans.net/2018/10/12/...ights-in-2019/
Old 30 Apr 2019, 10:16 (Ref:3900674)   #95
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
First time I’ve seen those lights working, but everything points towards them being used in conjunction with rain light, so a bit confused......

https://www.racefans.net/2018/10/12/...ights-in-2019/
That article refers to the end-plate lights - not a reversing light.
I didn't notice a reversing light, but that seems to be what is referred to by VIVA GT.
Old 30 Apr 2019, 10:59 (Ref:3900683)   #96
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I didn't notice a reversing light, but that seems to be what is referred to by VIVA GT.
What I saw were flashing end plate lights- unless my eyes deceived me.....
Old 30 Apr 2019, 11:13 (Ref:3900686)   #97
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
What I saw were flashing end plate lights- unless my eyes deceived me.....
They were first tested and evaluated in May 2018 by Mercedes, and introduced as a requirement for 2019.
They are a replication of the centre light - used in wet weather, when pit lane limiter is applied, when harvesting and also if the driver chooses to use them.

It is almost certain that the car was not deploying any KERS at the time, so harvesting was taking place.

Old 30 Apr 2019, 15:32 (Ref:3900763)   #98
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Watching this replay of the incident, the lights on the end plates start flashing after the Renault hit the TR and has stopped moving.

https://youtu.be/01Z9RkUBctQ
Old 30 Apr 2019, 15:56 (Ref:3900767)   #99
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
When I watched my recording of the race highlights early on Monday morning before coming to work, I *thought* the endplate lights came on when he selected reverse. I didn't re-play the footage, so only saw it once and briefly. I am more than happy to accept that I am mistaken.
Old 30 Apr 2019, 16:00 (Ref:3900768)   #100
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
We may both have come to that conclusion, as that’s how it looked on C4 prog!